SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ucgal

Newbie here - thought I'd post pictures of reno in progress

ucgal
12 years ago

I'm new to Gardenweb. I've been devouring the pictures, tips, and ideas posted here. We're doing a 100% DIY update to a 1960's kitchen.

Background - House is the one I grew up in. We purchased from my dad 10 years ago. House was built in early 60's.

My parents updated appliances in the 80's. And painted dark cabinets in a creamy white. Still had the original formica counters. When they updated the appliances, they converted the old electric coil rangetop to gas. (Gas line was already there.) They did not update the inadequate under cabinet range hood.

Goals -

* get a 2nd oven. We host most holiday meals, including a Sicilian 7 fishes feast on Christmas Eve. A 2nd oven was required.

* function function and more function. I wanted a low maintenance counter that I could put hot stuff directly on. I wanted lots of counterspace. I did not want to lose cupboard space.

* style - a far last place... but tried to make choices that are going to work forever... or as forever as is possible. We plan to stay in this house for decades... and made our choices more for function than resale.

* Low budget with an emphasis on reuse.

The kitchen is smallish. (started out 12x9, ended 14x9 because we extended it 2 feet into the family room/eat-in area).

A few before pictures. I'm not super neat/tidy so apologies for the messes.

Lovely formica counters

Old rangetop and hood and wall oven we kept, but moved.

We installed stainless counters with integrated sinks. Wish I'd joined Gardenweb before we ordered these - I would have done the marine edge.

Mid remodel: - new counters (stainless) on sink side, butcherblock on stove side, and the start of the "from scratch" cabinets that DH built. We tore down everything on the oven/range side and built new cabinets. New oven cabinet has the wall oven lower, and the MW above it (off the counter!!!). Reused wall oven and micro. Moving the oven gave us more room on either side of the spot for the new bertazzoni range (with our 2nd oven).

Where it stands today. Backsplash up behind the stove. Doors on the new cabinets. John Boos butcherblock on either side of the stove.

And a look at the whole kitchen as it stands today

Still to do:

- Replace window above sink

- build draws for extension on the counter side of kitchen.

- "true the wall" and put up the subway backsplash.

- sand/paint/replace hardware on all remaining cabinets.

Thanks for looking.

Comments (15)