SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
doucanoe

River lunch

doucanoe
13 years ago

Looking for ideas for a lunch to take on our girl's canoe trip. I was going to make Mufulettas, but as it turns out, two of the girls are bringing sandwiches for one day's lunch and two others are bringing French Dips for one night's dinner. My team feels that we really don't need another "sandwich" meal.

Since we will be stopping along the river for lunch, whatever we serve must be made ahead, able to hold in a cooler for several hours, require little or no utensils, and be filling.

Here's my thought. Chicken tenders with a choice of ranch dressing or honey mustard for dipping, along with slices of cantaloupe and pineapple.

I'd prefer to make my own tenders ahead, and we would eat them cold. Any ideas or recipes would be appreciated. Or if anyone has another idea that would fit our lunch criteria, that would be good, too!

Linda

Comments (30)

• wizardnm
    13 years ago

Linda, that a tough one... what about chicken salad rolled up in lettuce leaves? Thai spring rolls?
    I have a Southwest chicken egg roll recipe that is good cold.

Appetizer recipes might have the most inspiration.

How many this year are making the trip?

Nancy

• caliloo
    13 years ago

Nancy - I just shared your Southwest Egg Roll recipe with another friend, it is hugely popular with the teen age set here and I bet it would work for Linda too. I was going to suggest chicken skewers and a satay type dipping sauce. Or what about the Asian Peanut Noodle salad with grilled chickes sliced into it?

Good luck and I will keep thinking

Alexa

• Related Discussions

Garden Fest at Indian River Park

Q

Comments (1)
    Oh crap...I meant to post this on the discussions page.
    ...See More

Clear Fork River Valley

Q

Comments (12)
    I think it differs A LOT depending on how well you know your camera and the different settings, what type of exposure of sun the area gets and then what time of day it is, in that order. I get the best pics in the morning hours. The colors are truer to the plant and really pop. I can get great pics at noon (that is the 2nd best time for pics for me) and all the pics in the evening are usually crap, with the exception of a few here and there. By the way, I actually prefer the second pic (fyi, I'm a graphic designer on the side, so I know at least a little bit about what makes an image work, although when it comes to your own pics, it is personal preference), I think the second one is truer to reality and doesn't have that dark haze over the whole pic, like it's been underexposed. Here is some morning pics and here are some mid-day pics: Notice, Brother Stefan is the first above in each set. Look at the differences in the exposures. Look at this hosta, Dixie Cups: Morning Shot (tends to be softer, more forgiving lighting) Mid-day Shot (the sunlight fully exposes the hosta) Evening Shot (the lighting plays around with the colors and tends to make blues REALLY blue--notice the hazy look to the pic) The settings that I use depend on the time of day I am taking the shot. All of this is just my experience, but again, everyone is not the same with what they like--that's what makes taking pics artistic and fun!
    ...See More

Unexpected Lunch Guest--What to Serve?

Q

Comments (29)
    I like them too. We had some nest on the back of the farm several years ago, they completely demolished a sweet corn patch. We gave up the corn for the fun of watching the little birds hatch and grow. it's my understanding that they are legal to hunt in some states, I guess there are big populations in some spots. I have a friend who calls them "ribeye of the sky". He was amazed that we had such fun watching them. There are quite a few of them in southern Michigan by Elery's, there's even a winery called "Sandhill Crane Vineyards". We went to Lowe's one day for paint and there were a couple standing right under a tree in the parking lot, just watching people come and go, so I'm thinking they're either curious or not so smart. (grin) Cathy, I'm glad I'm not the only one who moves turtles. The girls used to call it "turtle patrol". We'd be driving along and I'd pull over and yell "turtle patrol". The girls would bail out and (while watching for traffic) move the turtle. I was told by a DNR officer to always put them on the side of the road in the direction they were heading or they'd just turn around and go right back. I don't know if that's true or not, but we always did/do. Yeah, Elery thinks I'm nuts, sometimes. Maybe most times. Annie
    ...See More

Dinner, for lunch per usual. What about you?

Q

Comments (9)
    I picked up take-out for dinner at an Asian place around lunch time. Today was the Iowa-Iowa State game here and the restaurant is in campus town so I had to pick up dinner while the game was being played. A friend has been raving about the food and it is the first anniversary of the cafe and food is 40% off. Yummy spring rolls with shrimp in them and grilled spicy salmon with rice and veggies.
    ...See More
  • claire_de_luna
    13 years ago

I love Alexas's idea of Asian Peanut Noodle salad with the grilled chicken slices. I was thinking along the lines of some kind of pasta salad with lots of veggies, like orzo with roasted vegetables and feta.

• doucanoe
    Original Author
    13 years ago

As much as I like a good salad for lunch I don't want to have to cart plates, forks, spoons etc. down the river.

I am thinking more like "finger foods", that's why chicken tenders came to mind.

Nancy, can you share the eggroll recipe? I must have missed that one. Those might be a good idea.

There are 9 of us this (our 19th) year. And we are not tenting this year, we have a cabin with a full kitchen. And a bathroom (YAY)!

Linda

• claire_de_luna
    13 years ago

Oops, sorry I missed that part! But then, I've been known to carve a spoon from a carrot and eat with it...

• teresa_nc7
    13 years ago

What about some cold finger foods? Cold shrimp, grape tomatoes, sliced cucumbers, some good olives and pickles, cubes of marinated feta, pickled beets, cubes of salami/ham/cheese? Think of anything that would fit on a toothpick, then bring a couple of small boxes of toothpicks along. Heck, toothpicks are even biodegradable in the woods, right? Add a container of hard boiled eggs or deviled eggs (two halves put together to make an entire egg) if there is room in the cooler.

Do y'all ever take totally inept newbies on your trip? Sounds like so much fun!

Teresa

• wizardnm
    13 years ago

Here you go Linda.....

South West Egg Rolls

2 C cooked chopped chicken breast meat
    2 Tabsp oil
    ¼ C finely chopped red pepper
    ¼ C chopped green onion
    ½ C black beans, rinsed and drained
    ¾ C frozen corn
    ¼ C jalapeno peppers, chopped fine
    ¼ C frozen chopped spinach, thaw and squeeze out extra moisture
    1 Tabsp parsley or cilantro, chopped
    1 Tsp chili powder
    1 Tsp ground cumin
    1 Tsp salt
    ¼ Tsp cayenne pepper
    2 C shredded Mexican blend cheese
    10 flour tortillas, 6 inch, may need more.
    oil for deep frying

Heat 2 Tabsp of oil in a 10" skillet over med heat. Add red pepper and green onion. Cook about 5 minutes, till tender.
    Add chicken, black beans, corn, jalapenos, parsley (or cilantro), spinach, chili powder, cumin, salt and cayenne. Stir while cooking about 5 minutes. Stir in cheese and remove from heat.

Warm tortillas in microwave for about 1 min, to make more pliable. Spoon approx. two big tablespoons of filling in a tortilla, fold in the sides and roll up. Secure with toothpicks. I just keep filling totillas untill filling is used up. Place in a 9X13 pan, cover and freeze about 6 hrs. Heat oil in a deep pan to 375°, fry frozen egg rolls about 10 min, untill golden brown. Drain on paper towels.

I have cooked without freezing but the freezing really does help to hold the rolls together and keeps the filling in place. Don't forget to remove the tooth picks before serving.

Serve with sour cream or a raspberry dipping sauce.

Nancy

• sheshebop
    13 years ago

I have had Nancy's egg rolls, definitely fantastic, but not for this trip, I wouldn't think. since they are fried, they would get soggy before you ate them. But you must try them sometime. She served them to me with a black raspberry jam mixed with a hot sauce, I think. It was to die for.

• lindac
    13 years ago

Are all things wrapped in a bready stuff a sandwich? Is a rollup a sandwich? an ampanada? Pasti? how about runza or bierock?
    Or you could just have anassortment of good stuff....devilled eggs, cold shrimp maybe rolled meat on a toothpick, assorted veggies and fruits hummus, pita chips and maybe rolls.
    Linda c

• gbsim1
    13 years ago

Not too different from your tender idea, but I love cold fried chicken.

Wraps are probably too much like sandwiches but they sure do transport well.

Grace

• magothyrivergirl
    13 years ago

Linda, I serve a 'dinner' every Friday night aboard a sailboat after we race. Your first post of ideas is right on - no utensils, everything bite size - I try to stay away from mayo type salads (messy, concern about the heat, etc). In addition to the wraps, make your own flatbread type sandwiches, pork tenderloins,London broil, sliced are delicious. Also chicken breasts, chunked or sliced. Shrimp is always eaten. Pita chips and hummus (I buy it at TJ's), a variety of hard cheeses - everything Teresea suggested - serve in a divided plastic container. The key is simple, sliced, pop in your mouth size and nothing too messy. Make sure you bring along a container of pop up wipes.
    Enjoy your trip

• magothyrivergirl
    13 years ago

I forgot to mention ~ everything tastes better on the river with friends!

• Georgysmom
    13 years ago

You could cube some hard salami and provolone and marinate them in italian dressing with olives and grape tomatoes and then skewer them or bocconcini, tomatoes and fresh basil skewered to go along with the chicken tenders. Cheddar crispies might be a nice addition in lieu of bread.

• trixietx
    13 years ago

I was thinking wraps also. I also like the idea of a cold cut and cheese tray with crackers, dips and chips and a fruit tray.

Sounds like fun and I bet they will like anything you bring!

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    13 years ago

This is a favorite of mine, similar to what georgysmom suggests:
    Italian skewers:
    Marinate all in Italian dressing except basil and skewer.
    Arrange several of each ingredient for the best taste and aesthetic.
    Each should have about 6"-8" of food on each stick.

Cooked green tortellini
    mozzerella cubes or balls
    kalamata olives
    basil
    salami
    cherry tomatoes

Other suggestions:
    California Rolls or such
    wraps or pinwheels

• jimster
    13 years ago

Teresa got it right. I wouldn't even bother with a toothpick.

Also, cold chicken would be nice. There are many possibilities. My favorite is teriyaki. With that I would serve a cold noodle dish, but you would need plates and forks or chopsticks of course. Fresh fruit would top it off -- plums, nectarines, apples or whatever. This could be a simple meal.

Happy paddling!

Jim

• doucanoe
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hahahahaa..Jim! We don't paddle! We bungee the canoes together and just float the "party barge" down the river. (Well, okay we do paddle if we get too near the shore!)

That's why a 4 hour stretch of river takes our group 7 hours! LOL

Yes, Teresa, we DO occasionally have a newbie. We have one this year as a matter of fact. Some of them cut the muster and come back....some of them don't!

I like the shrimp cocktail idea. May have to consider that. Wraps and empanadas and whatever all else you mentioned, Linda C, are too much like a sandwich. Devilled eggs are one of my favorites, but I can just imagine how appetizing they would look after rolling around in a container for several hours! There isn't room to do anything like a veggie tray or a cold cut tray. This will all either have to go into a zip lock bag or a plastic container and into a cooler. We basically pull up onto a sand bar and eat sitting in a canoe or standing up. Extremely casual! LOL

Maybe I'll take my camera and get some pictures this yeaar. Will have to put that in a ziplock too! Hahahaha! (Yeah...we get a little crazy on the water....the 5 gallon jug of margaritas may have something to do with it)

Linda

• Islay_Corbel
    13 years ago

Why not make a delicious veal and ham pie or pasties?

• cooksnsews
    13 years ago

Oh my! You don't paddle! Then my suggestion, easy though it is, might not be very appropriate.

After reading all the posts on the British Flapjack thread, I did some googling, and came upon several stories of a North American Boy Scout version, called Hudson's Bay Bread. Apparently a 3" square of that buttery sugary oaty concoction with a smear of peanut butter on top will provide enough calories to keep you paddling upstream all afternoon.

• colleenoz
    13 years ago

Scotch eggs- hard boiled eggs coated with a thin layer (1/2 lb meat per six eggs) of sausagemeat flavoured with a little Worcestershire sauce and Tabasco sauce, then dipped in flour, egg and breadcrumbs and deep fried until brown, then chilled and served halved or quartered?

• moosemac
    13 years ago

Here are two "fried" chicken recipes that hold up well and are good cold:

Taco Chicken Fingers

3 lbs. boneless Chicken breast cut in 1/2" thick, 1" by 3" strips
    2 sticks REAL butter, melted
    1 cup flour
    1 13.5 oz. bag of white corn tortilla chips, crumbled
    2 tsp. ground cumin
    3 tbs. taco seasoning
    1 tbs. lime pepper seasoning
    1 tbs. + 1 tsp. Sugar

Crush chips in chip bag until fine crumbs. (Hint - Open a small slit in the top of the bag, squeeze bag with your hands to crush chips, then roll with a rolling pin. Do not process in a food processor or blender, the crumbs are too fine.) In a large wide bowl, mix chip crumbs, cumin, taco seasoning, lime pepper and sugar until well blended.

Melt butter in a wide bowl. Shake chicken pieces in flour, dip in butter then roll in chip mixture patting mixture into chicken. Place on a cookie sheet lined with ReynoldÂs no stick foil. Make sure pieces are not touching. Bake in preheated 425o oven for 45 minutes.

For crispier fingers, broil 2 minutes until tops are brown.

These are great with Ranch dressing fro dipping.

Hot Lunch Oven Fried Chicken

Ingredients:
    35-40 lb. chicken pieces, skinned
    3 lb. oat flour
    3 lb. brown sugar
    21 oz. instant oatmeal
    6 tbs. onion salt
    2 cups white flour
    Cooking oil

Directions:
    Mix all dry ingredients together.
    Dip each chicken piece in oil, shake off excess.
    Dredge chicken in coating mix, shake off excess and place on well oiled cookie sheet.
    Do not let chicken pieces touch each other or juice will form during cooking and crust will be soggy.
    Bake chicken in a preheated 425 oven 45-50 minutes.

Sorry about the large quantities on this one, I used to make this for the PTO Hot Lunch program fundraiser. We used to serve a hot lunch to the local public school once each month as a fudnraiser. The School has less than 100 students in K thru 8 so they do not have a cafeteria.

I've made chicken fingers with this recipe, I just cut down the quantities and bake accordingly.

The sugar in both recipes carmelizes and seems to keep the breading from getting disgustingly soggy when refrigerated.

• stuartwanda
    13 years ago

I like your own idea, chicken tenders with a dip. Also could make up some pickled eggs and fresh fruit. Sounds yummy to me.

• dgkritch
    13 years ago

Roll up ham with cream cheese and a pickle.
    Roll some turkey round mozzerella cheese sticks.
    Put in ziploc bags.

Fill celery sticks with peanut butter and put 2 face to face so the peanut butter doesn't get all over. Into a bag.

Or just chop a mixture of fresh veggies; cauliflower, broc, carrots, snow peas, etc. Plop into a bag. Take salt shaker in a small ziploc, or ranch dip in a sealable container.

I would toss in a bag of potato chips or crackers too!

Bite sized fresh (durable) fruit for dessert. Pineapple, grapes, melons. Shortbread cookies would be a nice addition, but not necessary!

Cold quiche would work too. It can be eaten out of hand.

All can go into ziplocs or Tupperware type containers.

Take lots of pictures so we can all "go" with you!
    Deanna

• steelmagnolia
    13 years ago

These are the world's best chicken tenders, she said modestly. :) They 'travel' really well, and they're so tasty that we never even bother with a dip.

Awesome Chicken Tenders

Pour a quart of low-fat cultured buttermilk into a non-reactive container. Add an egg, stirring until yolk breaks and egg is incorporated.

Sprinkle with garlic powder. (I don't measure -- just give the jar 4 or 5 good shakes.) Sprinkle mixture very generously with lemon-pepper seasoning. (Keep adding until the top is totally black.) Stir well.

Cut a package of boneless, skinless breasts into bite-sized 'fingers'. Add to buttermilk, stirring well to coat. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight. (Note: I don't know if this varies depending on location, but in our local stores, a package of breasts will weigh in the neighborhood of 1-1/2 lbs. I usually buy 3 packages of chicken, but there's enough marinade that I only double that part of the recipe instead of tripling it.)

To cook, add enough oil to pan to cover chicken about halfway. Heat to approximately 370 degrees. (This is where an electric skillet really comes in handy. Helps a lot to keep the temp steady while cooking multiple batches.) Dredge chicken pieces in a standard coating of flour, salt and pepper, going light on the salt. Cook until crisp and well-browned all over, turning once.

Drain on baking sheets lined with paper towels to absorb excess grease. While still very hot, sprinkle generously with seasoned salt. (We strongly prefer McCormick's Season-All, but Lawry's will work.)

These are great hot, warm, cold or at room temperature. Just be certain not to put them in a ziplock bag or other closed container until they've cooled completely or the coating will get soggy.

• doucanoe
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well, I will definitely be using many of your ideas and at least one of these great chicken recipes!

Rethinking the fruit idea, grapes, cherries and strawberries may be easier, and they don't need to be sliced!

Shortbread cookies would be a great addition, thanks for the idea!

Linda

• lakeguy35
    13 years ago

Do the shrimp cocktail for sure Linda. I did that last year on a last minute float trip down the Illinois down here in OK. My group was the hit on the river when we pulled over with our afternoon lunch/snack. The channel cats and fish in general loved the tails from shrimp and the rind from the melon.. I added some good cheese, salami, crusty bread, crackers and some fresh fruit. Think in was cantaloupe, green grapes, and strawberries. Dessert was Girl Scout Cookies. I packed all of this up in zip bags, including the cocktail sauce and packed it in one of those soft sided cooler bag things with some ice.

Lots of good ideas here for sure!

Also, they sell water proof disposable cameras if y'all want to take some pics....I wish they didn't for more reasons than one!! LOL

Have a great time on your annual float trip...it's a cooking forum tradition for sure!

David

• tami_ohio
    13 years ago

You have some great ideas here. Even tho you aren't going to be paddling much, please don't forget to have some carbs for each meal, so blood sugar levels don't get too low. (Even witht the margaritas!) I may be trying some of these without the float trip!

Tami

• Bizzo
    13 years ago

I love the idea of cold Fried Chicken and fruit. Chips (or home baked tortilla chips) and dip if you want to add a little carb.

The tenders sound great, but the bigger pieces of chicken (fried or roasted) also sounds good. I had roasted drumstick for lunch the other day it was great. I love the idea of chicken and cantalope, but your thinking of fruit you don't need to cut does sound easier.

After reading this, I'd probably do chicken tenders, shrimp "cocktail" and fruit...

Sound like a great time!!

• jimster
    13 years ago

This thread got me thinking about the hiking trips I used to go on with friends in the Adirondack Mountains. Oranges never tasted so delicious and refreshing as they did on a mountain top after a rigorous climb. No packaging was required other than their own skins. We just tossed them into our back packs.

Jim

• brenda55
    13 years ago

Linda, I know you said finger food, but I had a wonderful cucumber avacado soup (cold) yesterday at a little cafe in Menard, TX. It would travel well in your cooler and require limited utensils (paper cups/bowls and plastic spoons). Add some artisan-like bread, cheese and fruit.