SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
3r3o3b

Finances for married couples

rob333 (zone 7b)
14 years ago

This problem comes up a lot with my friends and I see it here on the forum today. I'll give the (albeit unsolicted this time) advice that works, is fair, and how I was told was best by an uninterested party decades ago. It works.

First, all the money that is income goes into one pot with no strings attached and no score kept. All of it because the tide will ebb and flow. It's never 50/50 and it changes with time. That takes the "but she makes more than I do", "he's worth more than I am", stuff out of it. Marriage is about joining, a union and all for one. It becomes the centerstone of your finances.

Second, the budget must be set up with all expenses and fun stuff set aside that are planned ahead of time. If you're going to go on a trip, splurge and buy that boat he's always wanted, it's a together decision. After the basic bills are paid, the emergency funds are set aside, and the big exspenses are worked out, there is spending money left.

Third, once all the bases are covered, and all the assets(2 savings accounts (one for the emergencies that goes untouched and one for the big purchases) and liabilities (checking account) are accounted for, there need to be TWO more accounts. One is his and one is hers. They each get to spend and save with it as they see fit, never having to explain or justify why they do what they do.

I hope this helps!

-Robin

Comments (16)

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus