SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thewifee

Question about stepchildren and finances

thewifee
15 years ago

I just found this forum and am so hopeful that I can get some advice. Let me give you a little background on my situation before I get to my problems. This is going to be a little long.

I have been married to my husband for a few years. We have a 3 year old child together. I was married once before and have 2 college age children who are living away at school on full scholarships and split holidays and summer between here and their fathers home. My husband was married twice before me and has an adult daughter with children of her own from his first wife and another daughter who is 20 from his second wife who passed away when the daughter was little.

We met 6 years ago and have been married for 4 years. When we began dating his 20 year old daughter was 14 and a very rebellious girl. She would stay out late, bring lots of friends over to the house, smoke, drink, do drugs, have boyfriends. She was a mess. My husband tried to be her friend instead of her parent and always said that at least she talked to him about what she was doing instead of hiding it from him. In the meantime he would allow her to have 4-5 friends sleepover at a time which would not be bad if they were respectful. Instead they would be loud till early hours of the morning and leave messes all over. Her bedroom was so bad he would actually pay people to come clean it for her! She never did any chores or even cleaned up behind herself. It was rare that her dishes even made it to the kitchen.

My husband has always spoiled her and defended her. He bought her clothes constantly because she would say she had nothing that fit instead of doing laundry, a car for her 16th birthday, gave her a gas card, paid her cell phone bill, and even bought her cigarettes!

Right before our marriage she tried all she could do to split us up. She would instigate fights between her father and I. She would tell him how much she hated me. It was insane. We did get married and then a while later I got pregnant. It was a shock to us when we found out. When we told her she became violent and physically attacked me and began swearing at her father. He told her to leave and she did. She went to friends houses. After a few days she begged to come home and he let her. She was 17 at the time.

Soon after all of this she began telling people she was going to kill me. She told her older sister this and she became very alarmed, though my husband said it was talk for attention and should be ignored. Meanwhile she was in counseling. My other stepdaughter is wonderful and said that I should not have this stress while pregnant and she would take her sister in for a while. My husband was reluctant but she did want to live with her sister.

So she moved in with her sister. She finished high school and began college. Things got so much better at home with me and my husband. Well the stepdaughter began falling back into her old ways again and my other stepdaughter gave her the option to stop the things she was doing or leave because she did not want her kids exposed to the bad behavior, smoking, drinking, etc. So she came crying back to my husband. He told her that if she came home there would be rules and no more friends sleeping over. Well she threw a fit and went and got her own apartment with a few roomates.

Now she has roomates who are not paying their end of the bills and every month my husband ends up paying most of the rent and utilities. On top of that he still makes her car payment, cell phone payment, and pays for a credit card she uses.

We are in debt. I stay home with our 3 year old and we have priced childcare and decided that it is not worth me going back to work with what I would make after paying for childcare. I tell my husband that my stepdaughter should stop spending her money on cigarettes, alcohol, drugs, tattoos, piercings, etc and start spending it on her bills. She is in college and I am fine with my husband paying for schooling, her car, her phone, and even her gas. But she needs to find roomates who help pay the bills or she needs to move back home (we live close to her college).

But he keeps giving her money and then is a jerk to me because we are broke. When I try to tell him we would be fine if he was not paying bills in two homes he freaks out. I told him that she should just come live at home and follow rules and it would help us get out of debt but he will not listen.

I think he does not want her to move home because he knows she will not follow any rules and then he will have his house chaotic again and he can not stand up to her. But this is tearing me up. When I go buy clothes for our son he freaks out but then he gives his daughter money EVERY SEASON to go buy new clothes. She is 20 and should not be outgrowing or destroying her clothes that quick! Our child is 3 and should be outgrowing his clothes! My stepdaughter even comes over to our house and takes bags full of food and cases of water home with her without asking. Then my husband has the nerve to ask me why we spend so much on groceries for three people! I told him we are not shopping for only three.....we are shopping for us three and then her and her two roomates!

I am at my witts end. We can not even discuss my stepdaughter without him getting defensive and screaming at me and telling me I should be working. Then I say fine I will get a job and then he tells me not to because it would not be worth it. My older stepdaughter agrees with me and says her father is being a jerk. She tries to talk to him about it and then he blows up at her. My son in law has even tried talking to my husband and then he tells my son in law he does not want to discuss it.

Give me some advice before I lose my mind!

Comments (18)