SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
delairen

Whirlpool Duet (WFW9200) Hot water on Cold Wash setting?

delairen
15 years ago

Hi - I wonder if any of you out there can help me.

I purchased a whirlpool duet (WFW9200) in August, and have been using it the last few months. In general, it works pretty well, however I did notice a few shirts that shrunk since using it. I'm a fastidious cold-wash and hang dry person; pretty much only washing towels and socks in warm/hot water, so I was concerned, but shrugged it off - until today.

I had dropped something on my way to wash something, and hadn't noticed until after the cycle had begun. When I opened the washer to put the item in, I noticed that the water was warm, when I had set it to Cold wash. (Casual Cycle) I double checked the settings and the hoses. Still warm.

Contacted Whirlpool customer support. Whirlpool states that this is an energy saver "feature" (wtf?!) and that the only setting that allows for a true cold wash is hand washable. :-: Hand washable is fine for delicate underthings and such, but not so great for jeans - and regardless; I end up having to do a second spin cycle because of the excess water left from a delicate spin.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? What do/did you do to resolve it? I was thinking about disconnecting the hot water, but wasn't sure if that would cause harm to my washer - and besides, it would be a hassle to reconnect it whenever I wanted to do a load of towels. Laundry is a big enough chore without having to run around changing a bunch of hoses.

Comments (29)