SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cj47_gw

Front loader shopping, king sized bedding, Electrolux ?s

cj47
12 years ago

After close to 20 years, it's time to start seriously shopping for a new W/D pair. The old reliables are Maytag top loaders, but I can see that they're starting to flag and I want to be proactive. I've noticed that things have, um, changed a bit in last 20 years, and I've read till my eyes are tired here on the Laundry forum. I've pretty much decided to go with front loaders. I have two requirements (other than the obvious, that they get my clothing clean): 1. an on board heater and 2. capacity to do my king sized comforter. I've been looking at just how big a washer would have to be to do a good job on my king sized comforter. The problem is that I haven't really seen a firm, or even firm-ish answer to this question. The comforter in question is a king sized polyfill, moderate puffiness. We are a family of 4, two adults and two teenagers, and I am a "sorter", not a 'toss everything in together' person. Anybody got an opinion on how big I need to go to get that comforter washed?

I've been looking at Electrolux and Miele. From what I've read it looks like the Miele won't be able to take the comforter. It looks like the the 4.3 cu ft DOE sized IQ touch Electrolux MIGHT. I'm looking at the IQ touch models, the simpler the better. I'm used to low/med/high water levels and low/med/high heat levels on the old Maytags. 92 preset wash programs boggles my mind, I know I wouldn't use that many. I'll find my favorite ones and rarely deviate, that's just the way I am. I'd rather not spend $3k on a washer/dryer pair, but could if the Miele's really would take the comforter. Currently my washer is on the left, dryer on the right. I have read the Miele raves here--and I own a few of their products already, so I'm already convinced of the quality. I just don't want to have to go to the laundromat for my bedding. I've made my peace with that decision. :-) SO...if anyone can give me an opinion, what is the smallest capacity washer that I'd need to buy that would do the comforter? I've seen several people here say that they don't think the Miele would take it--can anyone confirm that opinion?

For those of you who have Electrolux products, why did you choose a Wave touch over an IQ touch or vice versa? If you have steam, do you think it actually makes a difference? I'm leaning away from that feature at this point, unless someone can convince me that it's The Bomb when it comes to cleaning. I don't care for the door, but I could live with it if it does the job well in all other respects.

Thanks much for opinions, advice, and encouragement. LOL, I had no idea that it would be this much of a project to choose a new washer and dryer. :-) Are there other considerations that I should be aware of when chosing my front loading laundry pair?

Oh--Pedestals--yay or nay? I'm planning on staying here til they cart me out feet first, so want something that will work in my older-age. :-) I have a laundry room off the kitchen with a heavy door, they'll be sitting on a vinyl floor.

Thanks VERY much for reading and for any advice.

Cj

(honestly, shopping for the kitchen remodel was a lot more fun....)

Comments (73)