SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
birdgardner_gw

remodeling kitchen for sale - your thoughts?

birdgardner
12 years ago

We're planning to sell in a couple years. The kitchen cabinets are in really bad shape. We're leaning towards replacing them rather than offering a credit, as we think the house would sell a good deal faster. We're on the lower end of an upscale town; similar houses go for about 500K.

Since I'm planning to sell, rather than to please myself, I'm offering my plans here for a critique as to mass appeal.

The kitchen has a large eating area (can seat eight) with large windows and skylights. The floor is checkerboard vinyl tile in cool off-white and blue-grey with a little aqua. The walls are a warm off-white which works well with the floor. Farmhouse table in golden oak. I'm happy with this part.

On the other side, the work area is U-shaped about 9 x 11. My plan: Shaker style cabinets, the lower cabinets to be maple in a warm, light shade, and the upper cabinets to be painted in a warm white, with some frosted glass doors. Countertop, white quartz? Whatever holds up best, I am not pleased with what my children have done to the Corian. Maybe granite instead of solid color.

The wall oven which is too small would go making room for a bigger pantry and we'd replace the cooktop with a stove. We'd probably get a new refrigerator too, even though the buyers likely would already have one; the old one is beat up and sticks out too far. Stainless or white for the appliances? Dishwasher is white, could probably get a stainless panel. There would be an appliance on each side of the U, the refrigerator at one end, the dishwasher on the other, the stove breaking up the longest run of cabinets and counter on the back wall.

Money is tight, we'd go with RTA cabinets, DIY plumbing, hire out the counter which is L-shaped.

Your thoughts on my two-tone cabinet plans? Suggestions?

I posted on Buying/Selling also, asking whether I should replace or offer credit, giving details on my horrible cabinets, but here I want to know if I do replace, then what should I aim for?

Here is a link that might be useful: my awful, horrible, ugly cabinets

Comments (12)