SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
just_julie

Laundry room or mud room?

just_julie
13 years ago

We are using the area between the kitchen and garage as a mudroom. It measures 7' 8" x 5' 10". There is a small closet in one corner that's used for cleaning supplies and vacuum storage and an over the door shoe rack. Right next to the closet is a 5 foot long area where a washer and dryer could/should go.

Instead, we have racks there for shoes, mittens, backpacks, and a large dog food storage feeder. Above this area are cabinets, one for storage and one is a laundry chute from the upstairs hallway. Across from that area we have hooks for coat and hat storage. There is a pocket door to close everything off from the kitchen hall.

All hook-ups are present but we would have to get an electric dryer as the one in the basement is gas.

For some, this would be a no-brainer.... washer and dryer should be there, that's what is is built for! However, we are having a hard time taking the plunge because of:

1-we would lose the shoe and dog feeding area

2-not really any room to separate dirty clothes

3-no rod to hang clean clothes as they come out of dryer

4-the area would seem cramped

5-not sure about electric dryer- do they work as good as gas?

Can anyone offer an opinion on those? We've lived with the current configuration for as long as we've lived here (13 years) BUT--I don't like doing laundry sometimes and I wonder if moving it up from unfinished basement would make it more enjoyable? Also, the clean clothes in the basement often don't make it up to the bedrooms so the kids run downstairs every morning to grab something.

The room needs a new garage door, flooring and the wallpaper has got to go. I need to make a decision soon and I'm really torn.

Would appreciate any input!

Comments (10)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH