SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jj1940

Just diagnosed with breast cancer!

jean_mi_z5
14 years ago

I'm a long time lurker/occasional poster and was just diagnosed with breast cancer. I have been reading past messages concerning treatment and affects of such treatment. I'm sure most have had the same choices, but really need to talk about them. (I hope I don't start rambling, very upset at this point). I saw my surgeon yesterday and he gave me so much information, but at that point, I think I was almost in shock and a lot of information has been forgotten. He did give me a book explaining all the choices and affects of each treatment. He said my tumor is about 1.5cm and should react to treatment successfully. My dilemma is whether to have axillary lymph node dissection or sentinel lymph node biopsy at time of my lumpectomy. I really don't think I want to go the mastectomy route. I just turned 70 last month and Dr. said cancer developed in later years appears not to be as invasive as with younger women.

As of now I am leaning towards the sentinel biopsy because of the affects of the axillary dissection. I will be getting information from other sources available in my area.

Thank you,

Jean

Comments (53)

• dotmom
    14 years ago

I'm another one who has no advice for you, Dear, but know I'm sending prayers up that you will be able to make the best and knowledgeable decisions, and for the best of all outcomes. It is heartening to know that in women of seasoned ages, this isn't as invasive as in younger women. I truly wish it didn't exist at all. Hugs for you, KT friend, and please keep us posted, we truly care. Dottie

• wanda_va
    14 years ago

Sending prayers and hugs your way.

• Related Discussions

Breast cancer diagnosis in last 18 months?

Q

Comments (1)
    Time to let this one float down.
    ...See More

Breast Cancer Biopsy

Q

Comments (45)
    Thanks again to each and every one of you. Reading your messages was the last thing I did before heading into the clinic to face my results. Thanks to you all, I didn't feel as alone. I am brainstorming ways I could pass this on and do the same for others in the same circumstances. After going through this, I am so humbled by the courage that must be mustered in those who do learn they have cancer. Thank you, thank you all!
    ...See More

At what point are you a Cancer Survivor?

Q

Comments (23)
    Aw, man. I can't tell you how much I appreciate and will benefit from, your prayers and good thoughts. Thank you so much. I've signed up for the 'walk' portion of our local Race for the Cure, it's the first of August this year and I'm assuming that by then I'll be able to participate. I'm not a runner at all, my knees won't take it. My surgery is May 1. I've never had a surgery before, not even a C-section, so am naturally scared of what's coming. There's one part of me that says maybe, not knowing, is a blessing, so I can't dwell on anything specific. My mother had a radical mastectomy about 30 years ago, and then 15 years later had colon cancer. She didn't recover from that. So Monday I'm having the dreaded colonoscopy that has scared me for so long. I want to know, without a doubt, that there's nothing else going on.
    ...See More

Two things I just learned about breast cancer

Q

Comments (1)
    The next time you have blood work done please ask them to check your Vitamin D levels - this is for both men and women. Both of my sons were found to have low vitamin D levels. It was so low that you couldn't increase it enough by just taking a supplement, they required a prescription to get the higher dose that was needed. And we're taking about healthy young men who spend a good portion of their time outdoors - and neither of them listen to me when I remind them to wear sunblock. Here is a link that might be useful: vitamin D and cancer prevention
    ...See More
  • Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    14 years ago

Hi Jean,

I'm sorry to hear of your diagnosis and upset, but do feel free to ramble here.

I had lumpectomy (and chemo and radiation) and several lymph nodes removed...was not aware of the sentinel versus axillary lymph nodes until doing a bit of searching now. Did your surgeon have a suggestion or preference on what should be removed as far as the lymph node(s). Could he tell you why he preferred one over the other?

My suggestion going forward it to either take someone with you to be a second set of ears, or else to take a small tape recorder with you when talking to the doctor(s), or both. It was suggested to me to do that and the doctors did not mind the recorder and in fact thought it was a good idea. I replayed the tape numerous times listening to my many questions and the answers until I got them all straight in my head. I wrote a lot of questions down before conferring with the different doctors (surgeon, oncologist, radiologist)

I can't tell you that it will be a walk in the park with what you are facing, but in looking back, 'things' weren't really as bad as what they seemed at the time. It was the trauma that made things seem so much worse to me as I was going through them.

Once you have your surgery and the lymph node(s) are biopsied then your stage can be determined. If the nodes are clean, and you are just 1.5cm then you would be considered Stage one, and it is likely that nothing more will be needed after the surgery.

I must have had the axillary dissection as 14 (I think) nodes were removed and tested. I didn't have any bad affects from it, once the staples were removed (ouch) and I could move my arm and start exercising as suggested.

If you would care to talk (via phone), or email, just contact me via the email link on my Member Page. I'd be glad to listen or answer any questions or concerns I might be able to help with. I've been cancer free about 12 years now and was stage 2.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Breast cancer stages

• ronf_gw
    14 years ago

No advice here, but, you will be in my prayers, Jean.

Ron

• donna_loomis
    14 years ago

I know you came here for advice, but like the others, I really have none, only wishes for the best outcome possible. I do know how frightened you must be. I have had several biopsies over the years when mammograms showed something suspicious and the thoughts (mostly the first time) that went through my head at the mere possibilities nearly incapacitated me.

I will be sending good thoughts your way.

• Georgysmom
    14 years ago

I, too, can't give you much advice....the only advice I can give you is that it's a good idea to have an extra set of ears with you when talking to the doctor. A good friend or relative. Because of the shock and worry, we don't always hear or absorb everything the doctor is saying. Hugs and prayers.

Dottie

• socks
    14 years ago

Jean, I'm so sorry. It's so overwhelming, isn't it? My mother had a similar situation at 70. She had a mastectomy, and the cancer had not spread at all. She did not need any further treatment.

I wish you well, and do keep us posted here at the KT.

Susan

• jean_mi_z5
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you all so much for your prayers and concerns.

Sue, My Dr told me that sucess rate with either axillary or sentinel node removal should be the same. I am most concerned what the affects will be concerning my arm, swelling, numbness, stiffness etc. It is my right breast and I am right handed. He mentioned radiation and chemo. He said my cancer shows that it will react well to hormone therapy. I know I am not using the correct terminalogy at this point. As I said, I will be talking again with my Dr and probably seeing someone at the breast cancer center to help me with my decision. I just want to get started on treatment as soon as possible.

Again, thank you all for your responses.

I will be leaving the house now and will check back after lunch.

Jean

P.S. Sue, I will probably be emailing you soon..thank you so much

• bee0hio
    14 years ago

Sending good thoughts your way, Jean. I'm sure you must be feeling overwhelmed, but you will find a measure of comfort & support here at the KT. Best wishes in the days ahead.

• heather_on
    14 years ago

I'm sorry that you have to join us in the ranks of those at the KT with breast cancer. It sounds like your cancer was caught early which is great news. It likely isn't as fast spreading as others. My advice to you is that you follow the advice of your oncologist and surgeon. They will have more information on your type of tumour, with a biopsy done and have dealt with this far more often than any of us. They understand all of the medical jargon, have read tons of literature and are truly the experts.

I would definitely take someone else with you to the appointments. I am a nurse and was in such a fog at my appointments that I simply forgot and couldn't remember some of the things that were said.

In one of the Inflammatory Breast Cancer forums I am on we have a saying, "You are a survivor if you pass noon on the day of your diagnosis."

You will get through this. I had "the works" in the way of treatments and I can honestly say it wasn't that bad. I do have leftover severe lymphedema as my lymph nodes were quite involved but it is a small price for being alive. (The type of BC I had wasn't a lump but involved the skin and lymphatic system). In June, I will be a 10 year survivor.

Sending you a hug.

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    14 years ago

My Dr told me that sucess rate with either axillary or sentinel node removal should be the same. I am most concerned what the affects will be concerning my arm, swelling, numbness, stiffness etc. It is my right breast and I am right handed.
    Mine too was on the right side and I have never had any problems and don't feel my right arm and hand is limited in any way. I just quit wearing my watch on my right arm and always always get shots, blood tests, and blood pressure checked on my left arm.

He mentioned radiation and chemo.
    I imagine he only 'mentioned' it because they could be a possibility if your node(s) happen to test positive on the biopsy...otherwise you would be stage one like I mentioned above.

He said my cancer shows that it will react well to hormone therapy.
    I imagine your biopsy showed your cancer testing estrogen positive and possibly you would be prescribed Tamoxifen for a period of years unless there is maybe something newer. Mine was estrogen positive and I took the Tamoxifen for 3 (maybe 5) years and got along fine with it.

If you drop me an email, and care to talk, just send your # and what times are best to talk, or else I can send you my #. I am free to talk 24/7.

Sue

• jel48
    14 years ago

I can't offer advice either, but can offer prayers and took time to do so before writing. I can say that my mother had Padget's disease of the breast (different then you have, still a cancer, but rarely recurs after treatment) in her early 80s. She chose to have a mastectomy and I was so worried about her having to go through that at her age. She breezed through it, healed quickly, and had no problems at all. I pray you will do the same with whatever treatment you choose. Joyce

• sandy_in_ia
    14 years ago

Sending prayers and strenghth for you!!

• firemanswife
    14 years ago

Sending lots of prayers and love your way!!!

• debnfla8b
    14 years ago

Also sending lots of prayers!

Deb

• mcmann
    14 years ago

I'll be thinking of you and keeping you in my prayers.

• grittymitts
    14 years ago

No experience with BC so can't really offer advice but already lifted a prayer for you and have added you
    to my prayer list. I truly believe nothing in this world is as powerful as prayer.

You've certainly come to the right place! Many here have or are now dealing with it & know first hand the
    trials you face. It amazes me how deeply caring & supporting they. IMO, some of the very BEST people
    in the world can be found here.

Suzi

• alisande
    14 years ago

No advice from me either, but I just wanted you to know that I care. I'm glad you came out of lurkdom, and hope you will continue to share with us and keep us updated.

• vannie
    14 years ago

I am a breast cancer survivor and I asked my oncologist and my surgeon what would they recommend if I was their mother? You're 70, not 110. I'd be aggressive.

• debo_2006
    14 years ago

It's true that it's always best to take someone with you when visiting the doctor for biopsy results. Most people that get that kind of news don't hear a thing beyond the words "you have cancer".

Unfortunately, you have cancer, but fortunately, it appears they found it in the very early stages. That's a positive, and that's the way you need to look at this in order to deal with the upcoming treatments as oppose to looking at the negative. I'm an optimist.

My mother was diagnosed over 14 years ago (now 73), and is a BC survivor. She chose to get a mastectomy and is doing well after all these years. She does have 5 daughters though, so it's almost inevitable that one or more of us will get it.

I was diagnosed with pre-breast cancer late last year in which I still have to have surgery to have it removed. No one wants to hear they have cancer; it's such a destructive, horrible word.

My prayers are with you. Just keep the best positive outlook possible and be thankful it was found early which I know you are. (((hugs)))

• caroline94535
    14 years ago

((((Jean, you are in my prayers.))))

• sandy9743
    14 years ago

Again no advice just prayers & ahug. (((Jean)))

• sheilajoyce_gw
    14 years ago

I have no advice for you, just prayers and caring. You have a lot of people here concerned for you and wishing you the best.

• kacram
    14 years ago

Definitely take another set of ears with you. All I heard was I had cancer with no cure and that I was dying. DH heard totally different.

Chemo and Heather.. ditto

I don't have breast cancer, so no advice on that, but ask questions and get second opinions. And find a breast cancer support group.. you'd be amazed at the amount of information and suggestions that you will get from those survivors.

thinking of you.....

• nanny98
    14 years ago

Just many prayers going your way and so many KT good wishes. (((Jean)))) Nanny

• Mystical Manns
    14 years ago

I was diagnosed with BC last spring, and had bi-lateral (double) mastectomy. Altho your situation is different than mine, I'm more than willing to be a sounding board any time you need one.

I had two sentinal nodes removed at the time of surgery, and results confirmed what was suspected ... there were no cancerous cells, which was extremely positive.

There's a test out there, Oncotype DX, which analyzes your tumor at a molecular level and is extremely helpful in determining the likelihood of recurrence. Many insurances pay for this test now, and my results allowed me to choose to skip chemo and/or radiation without TOO much fear. (I believe there will always be concern for the future, now that I've had it once)

((hugs)) to you, I know this is a difficult time. It does take time for the information to process, and for your thoughts to settle down. email me anytime. I won't answer til evenings, but I will answer.

• lynn_d
    14 years ago

May God Bless and keep you, Jean, I have no advice but I have lots of prayers.

• Dee1
    14 years ago

Like some of the others...no advice, but plenty of prayers and good wishes. Hope you'll have a relative easy time of it. God Bless you.
    Dee in Michigan

• 3katz4me
    14 years ago

I've not had BC but have had another type of cancer twice - the last time in 1982. I'm a 38 year cancer survivor. I can't advise on anything breast cancer specific but here are some general things that I think are important based on my experience.

Take an active role in your care - learn as much as you can and don't hesitate to question your doctor. As others have said, a bring a friend or companion along to help keep track of all the information.

Remember - though it's a frightening and overwhelming diagnosis life does go on.

Think positive and enjoy each new day - the latter is something I really gained an appreciation for after being diagnosed with cancer.

• susie53_gw
    14 years ago

Jean, I have been where you are and it is so scarey. I think after the the news has taken hold you can look at things clearly. I had the cemo and radiation, too. We have tons of cancer on both sides and I did the cemo as a safety factor. My lump was under the right breast and small. I do have some swelling in my arm but it really doesn't cause any problems for me. Don't ever be afraid to ask questions no matter how silly you may think they are.

I can remember going into the radiation chamber for the first time. It was scarey but it goes very quickly The saddest part for me was I took my treatment at the same time each day with the same group of people. Some did not make it through. I remember a beautiful tall redhead. She was the nicest lady and had twin daughters that had just started college. Her brother came with her each day. We also did our cemo together. We talked alot during this time. She told me she had waited to long before she had it checked out. I always tried to encourage her. She died about 6 months later.. I will always remember her.

When I was taking my cemo one day the nurse was telling me about a 70 year old lady that had been in the day before. I took a drug that had to be administrated at the rate of a minute. If they did it to quickly your crouch area would be on fire. It came and left quickly. Well, they were giving it to her and all of a sudden she started to squirm and she said, " Oh, I haven't had a hot box like this in 40 some years." The nurse said it was sooo funny.. The lady was such a joy to see when she came in.

There is alot to all of this but just keep informed and ask away. All the doctors and nurses are there to help in all ways. You will be amazed at how wonderful they can be.

Today, I am cancer free and grateful to be here. I am now a grandma and am loving life. I know if it were to ever come back I would deal with it again.

Keep all of us informed with what is going on and how you are doing. We really do care and want to know..

• alexis717_df
    14 years ago

You will be in my prayers. ((((Jean))))

• barb_from_pa
    14 years ago

So sorry to hear of your diagnosis. I had a lumpectomy in 2002 and they took some lymph nodes to biopsy. There was a small amout of cancer, so one week later I went back and they removed some more lymph nodes. I had chemo and radiation, and thankfully have been fine. I have had no problems with my arm at all. (I do have an area near my arm pit that is numb, so I have to use an electric razor rather than a sharp blade.) I get all blood work and blood pressure done on my other arm. I hope all goes as well for you as it has for me. Please keep posting so we will be able to see you through your treatment. God bless you!

• jude31
    14 years ago

Jean, I am so sorry and like many others I don't have advice. I was diagnosed with Stage 1 BC in 2007 at 75 and had a bi-lateral mastectomy...no reconstructive surgery, (my choice). I took a friend who was a BC survivor with me to all my doctor's visits and I can't tell you how glad I was to have her ears. I have done well and hope to continue to do so.

Good luck and you will be in my prayers.

jude

• momrox4
    14 years ago

Jean,
    I will add you to my prayer list.
    -Gayle

• sandiefl
    14 years ago

I was diagnosed with BC for the second time in January last year. The first time was 10 years ago. They had found it early and I had a lumpectomy and radiation.This time it came back in the other breast and it was 5 cent. I had the masectomy and 17 chemo treatments and today I had my last of 30 radiation treatments. They did remove a large number of lymphnodes, probably due to the fact that it was a second time. I have lymphadema and am going to therapy for that. It seems like a long journey but I met a lot of wonderful and caring people during this time. Other patients, the doctors and nurses and techs. The people here at the KT area wonderful support group. Like the others have said you will be in my prayers and if I can be of any help, I am here. ((((Jean))))

• glenda_al
    14 years ago

Adding special thoughts for you!

• Vickey__MN
    14 years ago

No words of wisdom, just a hug.

Vickey-MN

• jude31
    14 years ago

One more thing. I realize these decisions are all personal but my reasoning...right or wrong...about having the double masectomy hinged on the fact that everyone I knew, or knew of, including my DIL, that had cancer in one breast, sooner or later, had it in the other. I did not want to go down that road but once. My surgeon kept telling me I didn't have to do that but I stuck by my guns and I would do the same thing today.

jude

• joyfulguy
    14 years ago

No advice here, either, but I can offer prayers, as well.

I agree with taking a friend or tape recorder, maybe preferably the latter, as it'll have the message in full, and you can play it at any time.

I hope that you have an optimistic outlook on life - it helps carry one through difficult times such as you are coping with at the moment.

I suggest also that you search out a survivors' group in your area, as you'll find much advice and support there ... and you'll likely find that you'll pay more attention to some than to others.

I hope that you have family and friends who will offer a listening ear and a caring spirit, along with that support that's so important.

May God grant a sense of deep peace in your heart.

((((((Jean in MI)))))).

ole joyful

• lindaohnowga
    14 years ago

No experience with breast cancer, but I had uterine cancer which thankfully had not spread and no treatments were needed, although "preventative" radiation was suggested and I refused, going the all natural vitamin route on my own instead. Read and learn all you can. Keep a positive attitude that you will fight and WIN the battle. My prayers are with you.

• ruthieg__tx
    14 years ago

jean I know you are concerned and worried but it is a step by step process from diagnosis through cure ...take one day at a time and remember that the worst part is the fear...Get rid of that and the rest is a breeze.

I can't offer any advice I had sentinal biopsy and don't even know what axillary is...Just find a good doctor, surgeon and onc and trust them. Good Luck and I will be praying that you get through this with flying colors.

• kathi_mdgd
    14 years ago

I also send prayers and good thoughts for you as well.
    I went through this in 2008 and i opted for the bilateral mastectomy,with 16 lymph nodes removed,3 positive for cancer.The thing my Dr said to me is that when you come out of the anesthesia,you want to hear me say,"YOUR MARGINS ARE CLEAR" and that's exactly what he said.

I did do the chemo route,6 sessions of T&C.While you'll hear a lot of stories,just remember,"IT's ALL DOABLE",and i and others are here to prove it!!

Get yourself a small tape recorder and take it with you when you see all your dr's,also take someone else along with you as your brain will be mush as there will be so much information running through it.MY dh went with me to all appointments and so did the recorder.I still use the recorder when i go to the dr.

Also my dr suggested i go to the website,Breastcancer.org.That's a great source of help,information,support,and is open 24/7---365.I still go there.You learn a lot more there than you do from the dr's and these are people that are where you are going or have been.

You'll get through this,and you'll have good and bad days,but you can do it.I know it's scary,bu there will be tons of people holding you up in prayer.
    Kathi

Journaling is also a BIG help as you travel this road.

• vicki_lv
    14 years ago

You've received some great advice already...so I won't add to it. Other than...keep a positive attitude. Attitude is everything.

You will be in my prayers. (((Jean)))

• veta
    14 years ago

You are in my prayers. Stay with us, and keep us posted on your progress in this battle. (((Jean))).
    Veta

• jemdandy
    14 years ago

My wife had a mastectomy 10 yr ago and because of a potential threat, all 21 nodes were striped out. Back then, that was the standard practice. Her lump was fairly large: A lumpectomy was performed while she was on the operatng table and the quick analysis said the margin was not 'clean' so the surgeon proceded with the full procedure including all node removal.

It truned out that all nodes were clean and the removal was unnecessary. We also found that if the surgeon had removed just a little more material around her lump, the margin would have been clean and that would have prevented a lifetime of problems.

Less than 2 years later, the recommendation for her case type changed and the new procedure became: remove the first node and check it. If it is ok, stop.

It was our experience that removal of all nodes create a drainage problem. Fluid tends to build up for at least 6 weeks until the body can find ways to absorb and reroute it. These nodes are part of the drainage system for the infection fighters. The body did eventually heal, but a comprise remains. My wife has a lifing restriction of 10 lbs on that arm for the rest of her life. A larger weigth will not do physical harm, but the exertion can overload the drainage system and the muscles may be weak. it can result in a minor injury that will take a long time to heal.

So my advice is: Do not let your nodes be removed unless these are PROVEN invaded. Over 10 years ago, complete removal was done to insure that an invaded node was not missed. In too many cases (back then) when nodes were left, they gave trouble and once the cancer invaded the nodal system, it is very late. Better (and faster) detection plus more research has changed the picture. Be sure to discuss with your oncologist.

• fran1523
    14 years ago

My thoughts are with you as you face the journey with this nasty disease. Hopefully the cells will not have spread and you will have a full recovery. When my husband had cancer, I used to pray for the strength to face what each day would bring.

• hallngarden
    14 years ago

Jean, you are in my prayers. You are at the right place for lots of support . Hugs to you. I care.

• jean_mi_z5
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Good afternoon

I had a meeting with my oncologist yesterday afternoon, and I must say, I received a lot of helpful information, some of which was very encouraging. As it appears now, I am most likely a candidate for lumpectomy/sentinel node procedure. I will see my surgeon on the 16th and discuss the options and presumably schedule surgery. I will be having a pet scan on the 20th. If the sentinel nodes, which they will probably remove 3, show no signs of cancer, I most likely will be on a hormone regiment. Of course, this all remains to be seen. I am staying optimistic, but not to the point where I am diffusional concerning a rosy outcome.

When things settle down a bit, I hope to come back and post more cheery messages..LOL...

Once again...thank you so much.
    Jean

• kacram
    14 years ago

news?

• trishaw
    14 years ago

You have received some wonderful advice above so I will just add my hugs and prayers. Come and ramble anytime!

Trish