SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cefreeman_gw

Picky Picky. Huh?

CEFreeman
10 years ago

I had a funny thing happen.

I was talking with two fellows who happen to be builders. They know my situation and have given me stuff from job sites that were going to be garbage. I am a materials hog.

We were having a nice, kinda joking conversation about their jobs and my ... money pit. One of them asked, "Do you need some countertops? I have stone."

I replied, "Thanks, but only if it's soapstone. I have butcher block I've made and (someone we know) built me the other side out of some gorgeous Wilsonart. I'm saving for soapstone."

He exclaimed, a little insulted I think, "Geeze! Here it's free and she's being picky. Nervy of you, girl!"

The other fellow chimed in and said, "No, she's right. She knows what she wants and I've watched her. She saves and lives by her motto of 'done once, done right'. There's nothing wrong with that and she's right to decline if she knows she's going to only use that stone for a little while!"

So.... I felt vindicated, but OTOH, was I rude?
Would it have been more rude to put that in, then have them see I was discarding it in a couple of years when I could get my soapstone? I refuse 'good enough for now' because to my detriment, I lived that for 18 years.

Am I that picky? I've planned soapstone for over 10 years now. Is it picky if it's your dream? I am not shy anymore about accepting stuff from these fellows who have leftovers. But just because it's free, it doesn't mean I'm going to take it if I don't like it, or it's not what I need.

I'm conflicted, but to tell the truth, firm in my goal.

Comments (26)