SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gwlolo

Picky picky picky

gwlolo
10 years ago

This is what my GC told me today as something they heard from someone else. The person who said this has a business that does deep precision cleaning that I was paying for to get all the construction dust from the house. After they said they were ''Done''.. I went to check and found dust on the countertop edges, small plaster and grout dust in the bath, spots of stain and paint on the porcelain tile floors, edges that were missed, pieces of glue, stuck on tape etc. I was taken aback by the so called ''feedback'', and was getting mad. And then I immediately realized that maybe I am.. But I am very OK with it. I see it as a positive trait. I notice and care about details. I believe in going the mile to do a really good job. I do have a high bar and respect and appreciate it when people do a good job. So I told my GC ''Tough S&*!''. If someone does a half ass job, I am not going to let it slide.

So knowing how TKO folks here are, do people think you are picky? Does it bother you? Have you found a way to be picky but have people think you are nice?

Comments (16)

• gale1965
    10 years ago

We just had a modular home set and they haven't come out to finish yet. By the time they're done, I'm pretty sure they'll call me picky. In this case I don't care if they think I'm nice or not. We're the ones paying. I won't be a b*tch about it. But I'm going to make sure everything that needs fixed gets fixed properly.

• CookieJ
    10 years ago

I totally agree with both of you! We are approaching time to sign off on the painting on the interior portion of our remodel and I am very sure I will get called that and probably worse. I want the paint to be as close to perfect as possible and if it takes another week then so be it. I will be going over that house with a fine tooth comb and he will touch up all those missed spots. I am in no hurry. And like gale, I really don't care because at the end of the day, I am paying the bill a very generous bill I might add! It's my house, I will be living there and I want it the way I want it, not the way some carpenter/painter/tape and bed man/glass man/floor guy/countertop guy wants or thinks I should do!

It's like these people get to a certain point in a job and are just ready to be finished. I've noticed they either get lazy and don't quite do the job they started out doing or attempt to talk you into a different plan because it fits their senario.

I will be so glad when I don't have to deal with these construction people EVERY day!

• Related Discussions

Is my granite supposed to be sort of dull?

Q

Comments (6)
    Try using acetone. That is what the installers used on ours after they were done. I noticed they didn't get everything, so I went out and bought some and just put it on a sponge and 'scrubbed' away. Just make sure you have plenty of ventilation, because that stuff sure does stink!
    ...See More

Tile installation: how picky is too picky?

Q

Comments (26)
    Thanks so much for your time, Beth! Yes, the chip is visible with the drain cover on. I will ask him to replace that piece, if he can. I think he actually did put caulk along the base of the shower, but it looks to me like he put it very deep in there somehow. Or maybe he has a bit of grout deep in there. Perhaps it will be less noticeable if he adds a bit more caulk. We bought caulk in a color that matches the grout from the same tile store; he told us to buy 'sanded caulk'. Is that the same as 100% silicone? There are 5+ tiles that have similar lippage to that spot I pictured. I am thinking about asking him if he can fix the ones that are in the high traffic areas (1 in the middle of a hallway, 2 in the main traffic area through the room). Does that seem reasonable to you?
    ...See More

Am I being too picky or should this drywall be redone?

Q

Comments (3)
    Definitely needs repairing. Are you sure he can do better than that, because, this looks like done by a child. You may want to hire a drywall refinisher to come in and redo all that.
    ...See More

Another am I being too picky post...

Q

Comments (5)
    the width of the stone is less at the bottom than the top ......thats even obvious to the eye. 1.75 inches of stone at the bottom vs... 2 inches or so at the top.........enuf to make a difference.
    ...See More
  • breezygirl
    10 years ago

I've been called picky as far back as I can remember. My mother told me I was frequently during childhood and young adulthood. DH and I have argued about it many times. I usually think of it as perfectionism. It has been both a blessing and a curse for me. Professionally, it was usually a positive trait as attention to little details matters in the work world and earned me praise and promotions. Personally, however, it can get me into trouble (mostly with DH) if I'm not careful so I've learned to let some things slide a little to keep the peace. Then, I usually try to go back and do it "right", which can also be dangerous. Interestingly, yoga seems to have helped me let go a bit.

With others, I now attempt to praise the positives I can find and nicely ask about the small, undone details in a self-depreciating manner or in a way that makes it look like I'm being silly about the details. I still kick myself though for letting the trim painting contractor tell me that the drywall texture spray he used to patch his drywall gouges would look fine when it was painted even though I knew it wouldn't. It doesn't. It bothers me very much when I'm paying for a job and don't see my sense of going the extra mile with all my effort. How can people live with themselves when they do a half@ss job? I truly don't understand that.

I see the same perfectionistic traits developing in my young DS so I'm trying to adjust his course a little to make his life easier growing up. Actually, it's to make his AND mine easier. I don't have the mental energy these days to deal with a crying meltdown over not being able to fold the unwieldly flour sack dish towels just so. And he'll be a better adult partner in the future if he learns to tame his perfectionism now.

Sorry if this was a little deep or off the kitchen topic!

• fouramblues
    10 years ago

I wish I were picky!! Or maybe I am picky, but just passive aggressive about it. I let so many things slide with our reno just to avoid confrontations or unpleasantness, and some of those things still bother me when I think about them. But I guess I'm not too picky, because I don't think about them often. :)

• User
    10 years ago

I'm picky, but having gone through a kitchen, guest bath, and flooring remodel, followed a week later by extensive water damage, I have learned there is no such thing as "perfect". Once you accept that, you'll enjoy the results of your remodel instead of looking for the flaws.

I also think there's a difference in expecting perfection from others and expecting it from yourself. I think perfectionism in oneself can be a sign of anxiety. I once read that people who try to control small parts of their life do so because there's bigger parts that they have no control over. So they cope by making sure little things are perfect. I think I became picky or "fussy" as a child because I had an older brother who bullied me and my parents didn't do enough to stop it. My sister said I'd never let her use the new crayons because she'd mess them up. lol

• User
    10 years ago

If the "deep cleaning" business left all that stuff, they weren't doing their job. they are supposed to be hitting the detailed areas.

If an ordinary handyman left that after an end of job cleanup - they are doing a great cleanup.

• foodonastump
    10 years ago

I'm doing a bunch of work in my house and while overall I'm very happy, there are details that I'm biting my tongue on. I expect to sell the house within a year, so that's one consideration. I also see what passes as good work in other people's houses and think I'm ahead of the game.

That said, I plan to photo document the details that bother me and go over them with anyone who bids on work in my next house. That way they'll know my expectations up front and can decide for themselves if I'm being overly picky and if they can and want to deliver to my expectations.

A quote I've used a lot: "If I wanted it to look like crap I'd have done it myself."

• Vertise
    10 years ago

And so, GWlolo, why is that being picky? I'm wondering how much you paid for the deep cleaning. How long did they work on the house (relative to size, but still).

If you are making them do their job, a good job or work hard, of course you are picky.

• mudhouse_gw
    10 years ago

I think we should all form a club, the NAAPP (National Organization for Picky People.)

IâÂÂm a complete detail wacko, and that served us well for years in our business. IâÂÂm also a perfectionist, and thatâÂÂs a blessing and a curse. As others have noted, itâÂÂs pretty hard on the people around you, including husbands and other family. As I get older, I really try to not let it run my life. Probably a good ten years of therapy would help me sort out this inner drive!

Picky people get a bum rap, but they clearly have a place in the world. Would you like your brain surgeon to be careless with details? Your accountant? Or the guy who builds your pacemaker?

With contractors, IâÂÂm all over anyone who is trying to get away with a poorly done job. IâÂÂm not going to look at a piece of crooked trim for the next 20 years because I wanted him to remember me as a nice person.

Usually people who do work for us realize by the end that we really pay attention to the details, and frankly we usually get better work because of it. I bend over backwards to be pleasant, to make up for being such an eagle-eye on the quality. If theyâÂÂre leaving a mess that I can clean up myself, IâÂÂm happy to do that, because it doesnâÂÂt affect the quality of the permanent work. ThatâÂÂs an easy compromise for me, and sometimes it helps.

Gwlolo, your situation is confusing though, because cleaning is all those people were supposed to do! If I thought it might win me points with the GC (so I could win the next more important battle more easily) IâÂÂd probably just clean it up, and maybe find a way to humorously let him know the deep cleaning was only skin deep.

On the other hand, you might be doing him a favor to point it out before hand, since heâÂÂs paying them, and he may have no idea theyâÂÂre really not doing the work he thinks they are. Tough call.

Picky people unite!

• mudhouse_gw
    10 years ago

Oops, maybe I misunderstood...if you are paying the "deep cleaning" folks yourself, I'd definitely let them know the work doesn't pass muster. That's their job, right?

• Fori
    10 years ago

FOAS, that's how I feel! And that's why I often end up doing things I don't really have to. If it doesn't look any better to hire a "pro", why go through the hassle of opening doors and arranging schedules and locking up the dog and stuff? Sometimes it's easier to do it myself and it doesn't look worse.

We're picky. That's probably why we can only use a contractor once. We see how unpicky they are and they don't want the trouble of us again.

Lolo, use yelp. You don't get to talk about customers like that anymore when you don't clean as a cleaner. Plus, the cleaners ought to know that what they say to that GC isn't held in confidence.

(Wait until you're done, though!)

• annkh_nd
    10 years ago

FOAS, I've used that line myself! I'm fairly handy, but I don't have the skills that come with years of practice and experience, so I'm willing to pay for better quality work than I can do. Shelves in the garage or closet? No problem. Install Solatubes and make sure they don't leak? No way (even though it's advertised as a DIY project).

When I pay for cleaning, I expect clean. GWlolo, your description doesnt' even meet my standard of "casual cleaning", much less deep cleaning. Go ahead and be picky!

• Bunny
    10 years ago

I thought I knew all the F acronyms, but I don't know FOAS. :)

For the love of God, if you have a business that's all about cleaning up after construction, etc., you should be embarrassed and humiliated to do such a half-assed job. For money?!! I'd be ashamed of myself.

As someone earlier said (lazygardens), it's one thing if a sub misses some stuff. I've had to clean up after several have left. As long as their specific work was done well, I'll cut them a little slack. But a company who's all about cleaning. I have a few F-onymns for them.

• foodonastump
    10 years ago

LOL linelle, FOAS is me. That's what everyone calls me on the cooking forum where I primarily hang out. I don't blame them for not wanting to spell out my stupid, long, user name!

• Bunny
    10 years ago

Oh hahaha. I'd already decided what FOA meant, so all I needed was the S. No wonder I couldn't find it in Urban Dictionary.

• CEFreeman
    10 years ago

I'm picky.
    First, everyone that's facing a walk through, do do do document or list beforehand. We like to think we'll remember things, but come on. Everything?

Second,
    Every time I can afford to hire someone, I tell them up front that I am very, very picky and will be home every minute in case there's a question or decision/choice to be made. Despite the fact I have furniture under perpetual drop clothes, crap stacked all over in plastic bins, unfinished drywall, electric, plumbing, tile (stop me) when I hire someone, I want...

One once,

Done RIGHT!!

I explain I live in the house of Good Enough for Now, so if they find those words in any form crossing their minds, stop. Take a break. Then go back and do it right. If they say it out loud, they can pack up and leave.

"Got it?" yup "Any questions?" Nope. "Really, clear?" Yes ma'am.

Then I watch (no hovering, tho)
    and.... I wait.