SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jjam08

Need to buy a washer today....loved my F&P but it's RIP

jjam
9 years ago

Our 8 year old Fisher and Paykel washer died over the Holiday weekend. We had a houseful and now a mountain of sheets, towels, etc. that need to be washed.

I bought the F&P based on info from this forum, and really loved the machine. But now we learn that there is virtually no service for it in our area. DH is an engineer so he did some online research, diagnostics, and determined that there is a problem with the motor. We're just not inclined to spend a lot to replace it since we now know that service is so scarce. When we purchased it, that was not the case.

I love front loaders, grew up with one, and we had one of the original White Westinghouse models in the 70s. Problem is, the space for my W/D is barely 29" deep. Most do not fit, which led me to the F&P eight years ago.

I like the concept of an HE machine, particularly the water savings, so was about to buy an LG top loader yesterday, until I reached in, and saw that I'd be on my tiptoes grabbing clothes stuck at the bottom. I'm 5'6" and while it was still possible, I could see it would be annoying. We are empty nesters, so tend to do several small loads, sometimes only a few items, and the size of the drum seemed excessive for us. The cycle times worry me about these machines, too.

So, I'm leaning toward the Speed Queen top loader, although the front loader would fit according to the printed dimensions (28").

Anything else I should look at today? Am I missing something??

Comments (9)