SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ganggreen980

Flour Question

ganggreen980
14 years ago

I'm looking for help understanding the difference between Canadian flour and American flour.

I have lived in the states for 21 years but am originally from Vancouver, B.C. My mom has always made the best pancakes. In my early married years, I tried to create her pancakes unsuccessfully. It irritated me over the years, and then mom and I started experimenting. She would try to make pancakes when visiting me in the states, and they wouldn't turn out. When I visited my parents, I'd make pancakes and they'd be wonderful. We finally realized there was an ingredient issue, and over the years we've narrowed it down to flour. Now, whenever friends or family come down to visit us, I ask them to bring a bag of Five Roses flour, and whenever I return from Canada, I always bring a few bags down. Yeah. It sometimes causes the border crossing guards to raise their eyebrows. "What are you bring back across with you today?" "A bottle of Pendleton, a bottle of Grey Goose, and 2 bags of flour." They're cool with the alcohol but the flour usually gets a conversation going.

So, my question is why? What is the difference? I specifically notice the difference in pancakes, but there is a slightly less noticeable difference in biscuits and pie crusts. I usually save the flour for pancakes.

I have tried experimenting with adding cake flour to the various American brands, but it still doesn't work.

Any thoughts on this?

Comments (8)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH