SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shortyrobyn

'Professional Style' Versus Professional Appliances

shortyrobyn
13 years ago

I've never understood why the former is of any interest at all (especially if you're paying a big premium for it). Might as well hang a $5000 check on your wall for all the good it does you. Professional is a whole different story. And most of us simply don't have the ability to set up anything really professional in our homes. Most of it isn't very attractive. Has only basic features. And needs a lot of extra architectural/construction stuff (like fire-proof walls - commercial vents - auto fire extinguishers over ranges - etc.).

So I have a "for example" question. I'm not a big beef eater. But I buy these nice prime rib eyes at Costco - and cook them about twice a month outside during grill weather (usually 9 months of the year here in north Florida). My trusty Weber grill. Max temp maybe 600-700 degrees. Perhaps a bit more. So I sear them off to start - and they smoke like crazy. Smoke three houses down the block. They send up some flames too (rib eyes have a lot of fat). And there is grease flying in every possible direction. I reckon restaurants - professional kitchens - have a way of dealing with this inside - but I don't. Do you? Even with a "professional style" kitchen.

FWIW - I can sear off a lot of stuff - like a pork tenderloin - or short ribs - or similar - inside in my very normal kitchen. But sear off a steak like this at very high temp - no way. Robyn

Comments (15)