SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
terri761

Beware of Maytag (or any other ) extended warranty

terri76
15 years ago

In January of 2004 I purchased a Maytag washer from Home Depot. ($600.) I, being a loyal Kenmore/Whirlpool person, decided to try the Maytag. Knowing Maytag's reputation, I felt I couldn't go wrong. NOT!! After a month it sounded like a train going through my basement(and I am hard of hearing)It was a large capacity drum but the water only filled 2/3's of the way. So if I put in a large amount of articles, they didn't have enough room to move. And I began getting rashes because the soap wasn't being rinsed out. (So I had to start adding water.) The repairman came out and fixed the loud spin(something broke loose) but said the water level was preset so I was stuck with it. The water temperature had a system that if you set it to warm, the washer would release some cold water and then some warm and back and forth again. But sometimes if I set it to warm, I got cold. If I set it to hot, sometime I got warm. So I had to have this repaired which started messing up again very soon. I then put a extended warranty on the washer till August of 2008. During this time I have had to replace the water sensor, the wash cycle mechanism, timer, and just before the extended warranty was up, the agitator broke. But what was most frustrating about the extended warranty was they didn't tell me that I couldn't call the local Maytag repair to fix it. They have a "special" company that they are contracted to so I would have to contact them. Each time he had to assess the problem and ORDER THE PARTS which took a few days to a week. Then when he received them he would call and set up another appointment to install them. Sometimes I would be without a washer for over a week or more. So if you should purchase an extended warranty on an appliance, check to see how they operate. Oh, it is now November of 2008 and the washer again started sounding like a train going through my basement. I will not fix the machine again. I found out later that it wasn't a real Maytag. They had just bought the company and put their name on the washers.

Comments (13)