SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lpinkmountain

What's for Dinner #322

lpinkmountain
12 years ago

I can't belive that I, one of the laziest cooks on this Forum, am starting a "What's for Dinner" thread!

Let me start by offering my condolences to Annie on the loss of two of her beloved pets. I feel your pain.

Sissy I like your cuke salad and potato salad. That's the way I make mine. And I've got to try Ruthanna's corn and zuchinni salad. Right now I've got some jalepenos ripening in pots in my yard, waiting for their friends the tomatoes to show up so we can get to doing salsa!

Two posts for me, one from ages ago, my typical Jackson Pollock meal, eggplant curry, coleslaw and rice pilaf.

And tonight's dinner, tilapia with homeade peach salsa, last jar from last year, pilaf made with cilantro paste frozen from last year, and coleslaw made by my Honey, the Coleslaw King!

Both photos blurry and not under the best light conditions, neither meal exceptional other than BF picked up this awesome on sale bag of individually vacume sealed and frozen tilapia and I'm starting to really like that fish. It's one of the few sustainable choices that we can afford.

Comments (100)

• John Liu
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

SWMBO and a friend went to a movie and wanted a late night snack/dinner. We have some salmon that needs to get eaten. Convenient. It is topped with a paste of bread crumbs, dill, garlic, cayenne, pepper, and butter, whirled in the mini-food processor (such a useful little thing), and baked. The asparagus is absolutely tasteless, not the best produce I guess. The green stuff that looks like wasabi is asparagus pur�e cooked in mirin, to be sweet. The strawberry is tasteless too. They got back from their movie way late, the food was stone cold. Oh well, at least I was entertained by making it.

• ann_t
    12 years ago

Quick and Easy dinner

Burger and Fries

• Related Discussions

SS Support - Mon. 3/22 thru Wed. 3/24

Q

Comments (23)
    Ok ok... So here is the latest news in my life! Last week my boss asks to speak with me in one of our training rooms. I am thinking...oh this is raise time..she is giving me my raise. So...she looks at me and says " I am done. I just don't want to work this hard anymore. This business is bigger than I thought it would be." Talk about total shock...BUT WAIT...it gets better. She then says..."I am going to sell my company" I say..."To Who?" Her response: " You if you want it." Now before you all think that I am one wealthy woman...think again...you have heard my struggles of daily life!!!! We are a very small company with a big presence in Chicago. I am her only full time employee and not to toot my own horn...I basically run the company other than paying the bills and doing the marketing. She said she would stay on as one of our software trainers. She just doesn't want to work as hard as she has been. She is 34, two small kids and a husband who does quite well himself. She really doesn't need to work but uses the business to enable her to travel and write off the trip. So I am in the process of figuring out how to accomplish this. I had actually thought about starting my own company similar to the one I work for. I do all the work and I thought...hmmmm shouldn't I be making more money than I do now..... I am consumed with figuring it all out. I feel like I kind of won the lottery...I have struggled so much of my life and I just always felt like I was going uphill all the time...now I can see the top of the mountain...and I am wondering what the view is like from up there. I was also in San Francisco at the beginning of March for a Photoshop Convention. Took the SO with me and we had a good get away time...My mom came and took care of DD. When I lived in CA my Mom lived in TN and could never get out to spend time with my kids. This was a very special week for my DD and Mom. I came out of San Fran not liking it as much as I used to. The bums are all over and really bad. Loved the food though. Speaking of food....I CAN'T CONTROL MYSELF!!!!!!! WHAT IS UP WITH THAT??? HELP? Oh yes...the SO gave me the nicest thing anyone has ever given me for my 49 going on 50 birthday. He bought me a diamond ring from Movado. Has anyone seen their jewelry? They have several boutiques around the country. One just opened up in our mall and we stopped by there one day just to look. I fell in love with this ring. Very simple yet something you won't see everywhere. Solid band and boy does it sparkle. Very unusual and different. It is an 18kt white gold ring with three diamonds spaced out and oval shaped. The DEX is at it again...enough said. Ok..I am off to see how I can become a business owner! Gretchen
    ...See More

Honeywell TrueZone Panel, Model HZ322 Replacement

Q

Comments (0)
    Could someone tell me what a fair cost would be to have a Honeywell TrueZone HZ322 Panel replaced by a licensed HVAC Technician would be.
    ...See More

I'll Show You Mine/You Show Me Yours - Su 3/22

Q

Comments (34)
    Stray cat. He showed up and I fed him, and stayed for 2 days, but Farb, the boss cat here, ran him off. I had seen him once before about 2 months ago. He has one blue eye and the other is green. I have a bunch of white cats, and wish he would have stayed. I liked him.
    ...See More

Smile today - 3/22

Q

Comments (14)
    jasdip, that's so funny. I was out driving yesterday and swear people are even social distancing in their cars!
    ...See More
  • dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    12 years ago

ruthanna, beautiful photos. Lovely yellow tomatoes and crab. Prosciutto and crab, very luxurious. ( HaHaaaaa! I came back and re-read this post, I discovered that Spellcheck had changed prosciutto to prostitute!!!!! Imagine prostitute with crabs! LOL! )

jasdip, I like fat French bread like yours, and I wouldn't mind Moroccan Chicken without couscous.

unorthodoxepicure, Pan roasted okra and grilled eggplant, with seared shrimp, sounds like a great combination.

Annie, One day your little Sous Chef Princess will have her own cooking show, and you and Elery will be her sous chefs. Wow! You sure can can!

Lou, Stuffed Cabbage with Peppers , Onions and Sausage. With a glass of wine will make a perfect evening. "My GGD was fascinated with the empty wine bottle." Lou, you didn't say who emptied the bottle.

John, Beautiful salmon, and very nice plating. The roasted chicken looks amazing.

Ann, quick and easy for you may be. Great Burgers and fries like yours are a challenge for most people. Very nice prime rib for your Anniversary. I have come to the conclusion that you will not make a very good vegetarian.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Tilapia with leeks in Vodka sauce and Kabocha squash.

Dcarch

• Jasdip
    12 years ago

I laughed right out loud and your "prostitute with crabs" comment, dcarch! Hahahaha!

Did you drop the squash from a great height to get such uniform splats on the plate? ;-) Very artistic, as usual, but of course you know that, else why would you do it? :D

• hawk307
    12 years ago

DC:
    That is another fish I like but mine does not look as purdy as yours.

The Prostitute with Crabs, I don-t know about that one.

Are they the ones that can jump forty feet ???

LOU

• ann_t
    12 years ago

Thanks DCarch. And you are right. I definitely wouldn't make a very good vegetarian.

Kabocha Squash is a favourite here. What else do you have in that dish?

We had diner food last night. Hot chicken sandwiches with homemade shoestring fries.

Got out the mandoline again for the fries.

Roasted the chicken and made the gravy in the morning before leaving for work. So this was another dinner that came together quickly.

• Jasdip
    12 years ago

Glad to see you like peas with your hot sandwiches, too Ann. :)
    We had hot roast beef sandwiches last nite with peas, and fried potatoes. Peas just naturally go with them.

• hawk307
    12 years ago

Made a fast meal tonight " Mac and CheeseOnoff "

Cooked some Mac and Cheese , added a cup of Roast Beef,
    with Gravy and
    a heaping tablespoon of Spaghetti Sauce.
    It was great with a glass of wine.

DC:
    This is some of the wine from the other bottle,
    the baby did not get.

LOU

• unorthodoxepicure
    12 years ago

Lou - This brings back memories of my father's 'slop' (as he called it). He'd make the mac per the package instructions, and throw in a can of stewed tomatoes. After a few minutes on the simmer, he felt like he was eating like a king. I now have my own version of convenience-made-comfort food: I call mine 'weeknight spaghetti'. Wow. Good food and excellent memories. Thanks for posting.

• hawk307
    12 years ago

Unorthodoxepictures:

Thanks !!! Glad I brought back some memories.

Not everyone can eat like a King.
    LOU

• sissyz
    12 years ago

Dcarch, I have never been a squash fan, but yours looks more like art than squishy squash! Well done!

• coconut_nj
    12 years ago

So much great looking and sounding food. It's been forever since I've posted. Mostly this summer we've been eating a lot of plain fresh veggies as dinners. Corn one night. Some heirloom yellow patty pans another night. Tomato and basil salads with leftover meat. And the fruit. Such great peaches this year and the watermelons have been excellent. The little watermelon called Yellow Doll is soooo good. So sweet and delicious down to the skin. Even the rind is super crispy and edible. Of course I've been making my pasta for daily consumption, often using those gorgeous yellow heirlooms I've grown so fond of. Mostly Yellow Morgage Lifters or Yellow Belgians. Yesterday I made a really excellent chili with mostly yellows that I had left from canning. Used white kidneys as well as red and it went well with the lighter tomatoes. Haven't gotten a pic of it yet. Today we oven baked some chicken with bbq sauce, baked potato and broccoli. As an appetizer I made a hot broccoli dip which is a take off on the classic hot artichoke dip. Very good.

Hot Broccoli Cheese Dip
    1 pkg. (8oz.) cream cheese
    1 cup sour cream
    1 envelope dry mild Italian seasoning (I used dried thyme, basil, tiny bit of italian seasoning since I don't like oregano, dehydrated onion, paprika and quite a bit of parsley)
    1 pkg. thawed, drained chopped broccoli (I used my own frozen broccoli, about a cup and a half)
    2 cups of cheddar cheese, shredded.

The recipe calls for this prep.
    Mix cream cheese, sour cream and salad dressing mix with electric mixer on medium speed until well blended. Stir in broccoli and 1 1/2 cups of cheddar. Spoon into 9" pie plate or ovenproof crock.

Bake at 350 for 20 minutes

Sprinkle with rest of cheddar cheese (1/2 cup)and bake for additional 5 minutes until cheese is melted. Serve with crackers.

My prep changes.
    Since I was using my dehydrated onions from Honeyville, I wanted to mix the dry ingredients in my food processor. I mixed all the dry ingredients until fine. Then I put 2 medium cloves of garlic in and pulsed it until garlic was chopped nice. Threw in the broccoli and gave it a few pulses to make it uniform. In a bowl I mixed the cream cheese and sour cream. Then added the broccoli and seasoning mixture. Added the one and half cups of cheddar and spooned into a oval ceramic dish. Baked as per the instructions, putting on the extra cheese toward the end. Instead of crackers I baked some buttered french bread rounds to serve it on. Really was quite good. I only baked half since it was just we two. Better fresh baked I'm sure, so I'll bake rest tomorrow or Wednesday before dinner.. or as dinner. Smiles.

I really have been loving my pasta sauces this summer. Here's the tomatoes getting ready for one. Yellows and some red grapes on top.

Ok, here's yet another pic of one of my pasta's..lol Farfalle with the yellow and red sauce with some bocconcini. Pork in the sauce. Note the tomatoes in the lovely watermelon bowl. I've been using that bowl for tomatoes or fruit that is next in line to be eaten. Also have I mentioned how much I've been enjoying my basil too? Yum.

Can you guess which melon is which? One is Jade Star, one is Yellow Doll and one is Gellchoms Special.

How could you resist these? Had them for dinner more than one night this summer. The Yellow Dolls were expensive but as a meal, not so much.

I'm afraid Jessie only got the red ones... well..except for a little bit of yellow..heh.

That's about all the pics I have so guess that makes me caught up. Smiles.

• ruthanna_gw
    12 years ago

Ann, your anniversary and birthday dinners are worthy of a celebration. That prawn cocktail looks amazing.

Dcarch, my prosciutto dish was probably the most excitement your spell checker has had all year. LOL

Coconut, it's a shame you can't capture the flavors of your pasta dishes for sometime in January.

Annie, the Princess looks ready for any occasion.

We have been inundated with peaches this year and have already canned and frozen buckets of them. I should have taken photos of all the ways I've used them in the last few weeks. An unusual but good one was a salad with greens, leftover ham strips, cubed peaches, toasted walnuts, and a maple-mustard dressing. Here are a couple of others:

Peaches and baby ice cream balls with Chambord melba sauce.

Peaches and (sour) cream custard pie:

Plain baked ham dinner but the tomato wedges were so intensely red that they reminded me of those wax lips we could buy for a penny when I was a girl.

City Chicken, mashed potatoes and summer vegetable medley.

• ann_t
    12 years ago

Jasdip, yup, got to have peas with Hot Sandwiches. Diner food - its a tradition. LOL.

Coconut. Love the picture of your dog and the watermelon.

Ruthanna, that peach pie. WOW!!! looks so rich and creamy.

I always get a craving for ham when you make it. This time I was prepared. I bought a small bone in ham yesterday that will probably be on the menu tomorrow night. I just have to get it ready before I leave for work and Moe can get it into the oven before I get home.

We had Peppercorn Steaks for dinner. The New York Strips were rubbed with fresh garlic and then coated in lots of coarse black pepper and the sauce was made with green peppercorns.

Sides were sauted mushrooms, parisienne potatoes, broccoli and steamed radishes.

• ruthanna_gw
    12 years ago

After so much rain and dreary weather, we invited a bunch of friends over for dinner last night to cheer them up. Although I didn't cook all the items on the menu, I just realized that all except one of the recipes for the ones I did make were courtesy of CF members. Thank you, and what's for dinner ended up being:

Coconut nj-inspired Melbatinis & other cheery beverages
    Eileenl L's Selvaggio's onion pie (yes, I used the anchovies)
    Chilled shrimp with cocktail sauce and AnnT's remoulade sauce

Whole pork shoulder roast (as posted in Sept. New Recipe Review)
    Seagrass's gratin of cauliflower with gingered crumbs
    Corn on the cob with a selection of flavored butters (made it on the cob instead of off so Lou wouldn't make us eat on the deck in the rain LOL)
    Gellchom's kale salad with pine nuts and golden raisins
    Sliced tomatoes with basil vinaigrette

Poached peaches with gingersnap and walnut stuffing
    Chocolate cake with white mountain frosting

• coconut_nj
    12 years ago

What a nice thing to do Ruthanna. The dinner sounds great. I was just over on the New Recipes thread commenting on the pork roast, while posting the dip recipe. I just googled all over the place and I can't find the recipe for this Eileen L's Onion Pie. Can you please post a recipe?

Ruthanna, I love peaches so much. Your box of them has my name written all over it. I could just dive in. That pie looks wonderful. Peach is right up there in my top five pies. It varies by day. Smiles. As you can imagine your veggie medley calls to me. I can just feel the snap of those little corn kernels with the zuke, onions and tomatoes. Even if they are off the cob..lol.

Ann, black pepper doesn't like me. It burns me, but that's a good thing because your liberal use/love of it is all that keeps me from licking the screen when you post. The dinner looks great although I admit I'd really enjoy just all the vegetable components. Smiles. Thanks for the comment about Jessie. He does love to eat his watermelon and corn.. on the cob.

• ann_t
    12 years ago

Ruthanna, what a wonderful menu.

I love the sound of the Poached peaches with gingersnap and walnut stuffing.

Last night's dinner - boneless chicken breasts in a creamy mushroom sauce, over spinach with a side of noodles.

Ann

• ruthanna_gw
    12 years ago

Ann, the man who brought the peaches was origianlly going to grill them but since it was raining, he said he poached the peach halves in a syrup containing dark rum before stuffing the centers. He baked them at our house for a few minutes at high heat to warm them and crisp up the filling. They were wonderful!

Coconut, here's Eileen's recipe, just as she wrote it, including the anchovy warning. I've made it many times over the years - sometimes as an appetizer and sometimes as a main dish.

SELVAGGIO'S ONION PIE - Eileen L - CF

2 frozen pizza doughs, brought to room temperature
    3 to 4 lbs. of onions, sliced thin (I use Vidalia)
    1 cup green olives with pimento (NOT pits), chopped
    1/2 cup olive oil (the better the brand the better the recipe)
    1/4 cup ketchup
    1/2 cup raisins
    4 anchovies, chopped
    1 cup pignoli nuts (pine nuts)
    Pepper to taste

In a very large pan put olive oil, saute onions until very soft...don't caramelize...add remaining ingredients and cook to combine.

Take one dough and place in a lightly olive oiled pan (Sicilian pie style). Place the onion mixture on top of dough; now take the remaining dough and put on top...pinch sides closed as best can be done. Poke a few holes in the top for venting. Slather the top with olive oil and bake at 350 degrees until golden brown. Serve warm or at room temperature.

ANCHOVY HATERS ALERT: DON'T omit this. It's crucial to the taste, yet it melts and I swear you'll NEVER taste it! I HATE ANCHOVIES!!! Yet I can eat this with NO problem!!!

• John Liu
    12 years ago

SWMBO wants more fish. Okay, there was some cod at the supermarket. Normally cod makes me think of fish 'n chips, but I didn't want to do the work of deep frying. I rubbed the fish with, well, the leftover rub for the in-progress duck confit and set it aside. Juiced a grapefruit, cooked the juice down by one-half. Dredged some grapefruit slices in sugar and carmelized them. Pan fried the fish and added the grapefruit ''sauce'', carmelized grapefruit, and some grapefruit zest. It was promising, but needs another ''go'' to get the flavors balanced. Also, the colors are monotonous.

Son wanted ramen noodles, but we didn't have any, so he got egg noodles, cooked, dried in the salad spinner, and fried in sesame oil. With some pork short ribs, marinated and broiled. He ate the noodles and left the ribs. Sigh.

Daughter wanted a salad and ramen. She got the fried noodles, some ribs, and a salad. Just romaine, corn, carrot strips, walnuts and vinaigrette. I seldom make salads, that is SWMBO's speciality. I think we'll leave it that way . . .

All in all, dinner got ehhh reviews. Hey, I tried.

• wizardnm
    12 years ago

The weather has turned cooler here and I was in the mood for roast beef last night.

The veggie is a saut� of onions, garlic, fresh tomatoes and fresh sweet basil and the first jar of my home canned green beans. I have canned one bushel of green beans and a half bushel of yellow beans.
    Kim got all set up in front of the TV to prep the beans...

We ended up with 41 quarts.

Nancy

• sissyz
    12 years ago

wizardnm-how proud you must be! Look at those gorgeous jars!
    johnliu, I would've devoured those short ribs, they look yummy!

On a wonderful sun splashed autumn day, we tailgated with several thousand other folks, yesterday!

sliders, jalepeno popper dip, ranch dip, hot wings, and country ribs

to the victor go the spoils!

ASU 14, ILLINI 17

• Jasdip
    12 years ago

I'll apologize in advance for the boring monochromatic bland colours of our dinner. But it sure was good!

Now that fall is here, I'm craving oven meals. Yay!
    I made scalloped potatoes, stuffed porkchops and cabbage. I call the pork chops stuffed, but they really aren't. I make stuffing and cram it between 2 boneless chops, and tie with string.

I bought a sleeve of 10 apple juice tetra-paks last week for $1.50 and now I'm looking for apple juice cooking ideas.
    I sauteed cabbage and onions and deglazed with some apple juice and it was really good.

• ruthanna_gw
    12 years ago

Ann, that chicken dinner looks wonderful.
    John, more fish is a good thing. There are lots of ideas for fish on previous WFD threads. Those beans look perfect, Nancy. Maybe it's the color but I prefer the yellow ones.
    Sissyz, looks like a great way to spend an afternoon!
    Jasdip, I would love cabbage prepared that way.

Vegetable platter last night - pinecone potatoes, bacon stuffed mushrooms, brown sugar tomatoes, wax beans with mustard butter, minted zucchini strings. Teatime treat was prune cake.

I guess you'd have to call this a fusion dinner - stuffed kibbeh and caponata. The sauce was a new one with roasted garlic, fresh mint and parsley, feta cheese, buttermilk and spices.

Last Christmas, one of my friends and I decided we'd try to visit a different tearoom each month in 2011. I skipped the tea sandwiches at August's one for a platter with house-made tuna, chicken and potato salads.

We split a giant cream puff for dessert:

For September, we were back to regular tearoom fare, followed by a trip to Trader Joe's.

• ann_t
    12 years ago

Jasdip, Stuff Pork Chops Yum. Makes me think of my stuff baby back ribs.

Ruthanna, I love the idea of going out for Afternoon Tea. Victoria has a number of Tearooms. Including the one in the Empress Hotel which will set you back $58.00 per person. Now that is what I call HIGH tea.

That cream puff looks amazing.

Wings were on the menu Friday night. Sea salt, black pepper, garlic and lemon and lime zest.

We had dinner out Saturday night. Sunday was pasta.

Last night I grilled pork chops and served them with potato gratin with onions, fresh thyme and chicken broth. The pork chops were rubbed with fresh garlic, fresh rosemary, salt and pepper.

• Jasdip
    12 years ago

Oh wow Ann!
    Talk about drool-worthy!!! I love the way you cook, and that you like meat. LOL

• lpinkmountain
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ruthanna those tea sandwiches look like so much fun!!
    And Coconut, I am going to have to make that broccoli dip someday for BF, since broccoli is his favorite veggie. He gets antsy if we don't have some in the fridge at all times!
    John, your creativity never ceases to impress!

• ann_t
    12 years ago

Thanks Jasdip. No one will ever confuse me for a vegetarian. LOL!

We have a new vendor at our Farmer's Market that sells a variety of hot peppers. He also sells the little Pimientos de Padron. These are the peppers that Sharon (Canarybird) use to post pictures of. I have only been able to find them once before and it was a few years ago. I love these little peppers. I've bought them now three weeks in a row.

The perfect little tapas. Sauted in olive oil and sprinkled with sea salt.

Other meals this week have been.

A Roast Chicken Dinner

Spaghetti and Clams

Hot Chicken Sandwiches with homemade fries

and tonight's dinner was Chile Rellenos with

Black beans on the side.

I bought the Poblano peppers from another vendor at the farmers market. They were on the small size so I bought six and roasted them before leaving for work this morning.

• ann_t
    12 years ago

Hey, isn't anyone else making dinner?

We had roast beef for dinner Thursday night and the most wonderful

roasted parmesan creamed onions as a side.

I also baked lemon loaves Thursday morning.

Here is a link that might be useful: Roasted Parmesan Creamed Onions

• coconut_nj
    12 years ago

Such great food everyone has been cooking. Mostly Ann, LOL.

Nancy, the cooked food looks great but I must admit all those jars of beans look so good to me. I haven't had wax beans in a long time.

Sissyz, that game meal look like a lot of fun.

Ruthanna your tea house meals look great. I love the little cutout sandwich of the teapot.

LPink, you should try it. It was easy and we liked it quite a bit.

Ann, as usual too many good things. Your potatoes au gratin keep calling to me every time I see them. I don't know why I don't make them more often. I think we'd both like the onions a lot so I copied that recipe. Thanks.

Ann, we haven't been doing a lot of picture worthy cooking. When Christy had vacation we cleared out our pantry closet. It's one of those under the stairs kind of closets so it goes back quite a ways and gets shallow. Then I hurt my knee and couldn't finish. LOL. I was laid up with a bad knee the whole rest of time Christy was off and the next week. She was freaking out about all my big commercial type stuff hanging out in kitchen so, this weekend we finally got the closet put back together. So, that's our excuse. LOL.

I've been wanting some Mexican but didn't have the energy or mobility for a whole meal so I just made the filling and made some fried burritos. I used the dehydrated and the freeze dried veggies for the filling. I put some of the three color peppers in it, lots of the mushrooms and even used the onions. Made it so little work and tasted really good too.

Here is everything prepped for putting the burritos together. Monterey Jack, about the last of our Sungolds and a small Abraham Lincoln for the tomatoes. I used Romaine.

Filling the burritos. That's mine. I like lots of cheese so the thick slices are under the meat. I used the grated cheese on Christy's.

Ready to eat. I always fry tortillas with corn oil. The taste difference is amazing. We also fry up an extra tortilla by itself and put butter on it...then share it. That's what's on the side.

I can't find the instructions you guys talked about recently for making your pictures somewhat smaller but not thumbnails. If anybody can direct me I'd appreciate it. You probably would too. Smiles.

• Jasdip
    12 years ago

I took a book out of the library......a Slow-Cooker cookbook, by a well-known Canadian author. There are many good recipes in it, and I tried Butter Chicken, a popular Indian dish.

I loved it, hubby said it was good, but not great. He realized this morning that the reason he wasn't enamored with it, is because he's not into cream sauces; generally finds them too rich. But the flavour was very good. So I will make it again, and he just won't put as much sauce on his portion, then it will suit him just fine.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    12 years ago

Y'all are looking good!

I'm not making dinner, as I am still trying to get over my broken leg (was broken. I think I'm done (find out in 3 more hours)), and trying to stay off of it. Which, by the end of the day, I didn't want to stand in the kitchen anyhow.

I did receive a wonderful gift of Coleman's dry mustard which is wonderful because... I've been trying to make the mac-n-cheese LindaC suggested and I really liked it, except I couldn't get the mustard right. I've tried every way possible, except Coleman's dry. That is the key, as she suggested. I just couldn't find it. So, I've had some awesome mac-n-cheese for a couple of days now. I did have some really good pork marsala (sage in the sauce is awesome!) with it, but no pictures.

As usual, Linda was right! That did the trick. Very good recipe.

• ann_t
    12 years ago

Jasdip, I love butter chicken. Yours does look delicious.

Coconut, Your wonderful photos gave me a craving for Mexican last night.

I used my new Nesco 6L Roaster to make Pork Carnitas for dinner last night.

• annie1992
    12 years ago

So, Ann, how do you like that Nesco? I have garbanzo beans simmering in mine right now, and I made a pork roast in it last night for Cooper's supper.

I haven't been cooking at all, even poor Cooper was relegated to purchased rotisserie chicken. I've been moving stepmom into the senior apartments, which means moving all the furniture myself. Then all her clothes, her kitchen stuff, her books, her knick knacks. So, I've been working all day, leaving the office at 5, changing my clothes and working on fences until dark, then packing up another truck load of Shirley's stuff and taking it to the apartment. Fall into bed at midnight and get up at 6 am and start again. Coffee in the morning and cold cereal at night, and thank goodness for that English Muffin and a toaster at work!

Anyway, tonight I finally decided to stay home, I'm going to work on the farm tomorrow. So, I baked bread. 3 dozen whole wheat/honey/butternut squash dinner rolls, and a big pot of borscht. No matter that it's 80F out and will be again tomorrow, it's October and by gosh, I'm making borscht!

Annie

• unorthodoxepicure
    12 years ago

I've been experimenting with the Chicago version. We've enjoyed all the experiments, but I've decided that I need a larger cast iron skillet. (Check out the whole experiment at my cooking blog, which I've shamelessly plugged below.)

Here is a link that might be useful: The Unorthodox Epicure: Confessions of an Aspiring Food Snob

• ruthanna_gw
    12 years ago

We've been so busy winterizing our house and property and with an array of community events that posting on WFD sort of escaped from my Things To Do segment of my brain. DH mentioned it last week, when he said, "Take a photo so you remember to make this dinner again. It tastes like Fall on a plate." We had a pork tenderloin stuffed with apples, sauteed onions, toasted walnuts, currants, ginger, and roasted in cider, mashed potatoes and turnips and butternut squash.

We're now in the midst of heartier soup season. This one's red wheat, bean, barley and spinach. We had a Caesar salad and Trader Joe's mushroom turnovers with it.

Turned a bit of beef flanken into a borsch-ish soup, although it was brothier than in the photo.

• annie1992
    12 years ago

Still no pictures, but Elery was here this weekend and mother came over for dinner. We had fish on the grill and some roasted butternut squash and fingerling potatoes. Today I moved freezers from stepmother's house and so dinner was cold cereal again.

I stayed at Amanda's Thursday and Friday while she and Dave went out of town for their first anniversary, so I made homemade pizza for the kids on Thursday night and roasted a pork loin and made Kframe's macaroni and cheese, along with some green beans on Friday night.

I'm hoping to finish stepmother's house this week, Ashley's baby shower is Saturday and I have to cook. She wants ham, au gratin potatoes, baked beans, homemade rolls. Mother is bringing the ever-popular green bean casserole, LOL, thank goodness I don't have to make that! Chocolate cake and I have a new silcone mold of a sleeping baby, so I'm playing with fondant some more. Red velvet cupcakes with pink "rose" frosting and it should all be prissy enough, even for Ashley.

Annie

• ann_t
    12 years ago

Annie, I liked it well enough but I've only used it once. I still need to try roasting a small chicken to see how that goes.

Ruthanna, my mouth is watering for your stuffed pork with that lovely looking gravy.

A few of our meals, since I posted last.

Chinese Dumplings in Chili Sauce.

Ham, Cheese and Chive Biscuits - Breakfast one morning.

Baked Halibut

Fettuccine with Clams

Swedish Meatballs with Noodles

Savory French Toast

• chase_gw
    12 years ago

WOW I can't believe how long, in time, this thread has been! Not that I helped it along any!

As much as we loved the food in Italy we're really wanting some basic comfort type foods now that we are home.

Last night was meatloaf, mashed potatoes, asparagus and a tossed salad for Clive. He is a salad guy and really did not enjoy the salads in Italy. They use a lot of arugula, radicchio and endive and he finds it too bitter. He also got tired of olive oil and balsamic as the only offered dressing....ungrateful sod!

Tonight we are having smoked pork chops, red cabbage and home made pierogie, apple crisp and ice cream for dessert.

• foodonastump
    12 years ago

I haven't clicked here in a while and I had the same thought, Sharon, this thread is OLD! But it's good. I'd already forgotten about some of the stuff I want to try.

Coconut's tacos give me a wicked craving everytime I see them. (No need to resize those pictures as far as I'm concerned!!) Ann's creamed onion has me on the lookout for NY Strip going on sale. And Adam, your pizza looks crazy good and is making me so hungry - this coming from a guy who doesn't even particulary care for Chicago style pizza!

So many more to comment on, but I could be here all day.

I had been in a rut for quite a while, getting takeout virtually every day. And not even mixing THAT up much. Last weekend I vowed to cook every day for a while, with an emphasis on staying away from my normal weeknight staples. So far I've succeeded. I'll bore you with all the details when the replacement cable comes in for my camera!

• wizardnm
    12 years ago

I read through the pork tenderloin thread and decided to make Weed's recipe, Pork Tenderloin with Dijon Cream Sauce, tonight. I think I may have made it a few years ago but didn't remember until I tasted it. Excellant recipe and very easy.

Out of the oven just in time (so I'll call them dessert) were some Apple Sweet Rolls. I ran across the recipe when looking for something else and just had to make them. I thought the recipe intriguing, apples on the bottom, cinnamon rolls on top of the apples and heavy cream drizzled over the top, just before baking.
    They turned out really good. I'm already looking forward to my morning coffee tomorrow.

Here's the recipe:

APPLE SWEET ROLLS

FOR THE DOUGH
    1/4 cup milk
    2 tablespoons unsalted butter
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 package dry yeast
    1/4 cup lukewarm water
    2 tablespoons sugar
    2 and 1/4 to 2 and 1/2 cups flour
    2 eggs

FOR THE APPLE MIXTURE
    2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
    1/2 cup packed brown sugar
    1 small tart apple
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/2 cup raisins
    3 tablespoons heavy (whipping) cream

Prepare the dough: Combine the milk, butter, and salt in a small heavy saucepan, and heat just to the boiling point. Remove from the heat and cool to lukewarm, stirring occasionally so the butter melts.
    In a large mixing bowl, or the bowl of an electric mixer, dissolve the yeast in the lukewarm water. Mix in the sugar, and add the cooled milk mixture.
    When there are some bubbles on top of the liquid, add 1 cup of the flour and mix well. Then add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in another cup of flour and mix vigorously for several minutes. (If you are making this dough in an electric mixer, mix on high speed for about 3 minutes. If mixing by hand, mix for at least 5 minutes.) The dough will become elastic, but it will still be rather sticky.
    Turn the dough out onto a heavily floured surface, and knead in the remaining flour. The dough will be quite soft, but it should be elastic and should not stick to your fingers, when you touch it. If you need to do so, add a bit more flour, but not enough to make the dough firm. Place the dough in a bowl, cover with a towel, and set aside in a warm spot (68 to 70 degrees) to rise until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour. (If you want to save the dough for the next morning, place it in a bowl, cover it tightly, and refrigerate.)
    Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Butter a 7 x 11 x 1 and 1/2-inch baking dish, using 1 tablespoon of the melted butter. Sprinkle it with 1/4 cup of the brown sugar.
    Peel and halve the apple. Cut out the core, then slice each half very thin (1/16-inch slices.) Arrange the slices in the baking dish in neat rows, overlapping them if necessary, so they completely cover the bottom of the dish.
    Roll the dough out to form a 9 x 16-inch rectangle, and brush it with the remaining 1 tablespoon melted butter. Sprinkle the dough evenly, out to the very edges, with the remaining 1/4 cup brown sugar, the cinnamon, and the raisins. Beginning at one long side, tightly roll up the dough jelly-roll fashion, pushing back any raisins that fall out. With the seam down on the work surface, cut the roll into sixteen 1-inch thick slices. Place the slices on their sides in the prepared pan, so the concentric circles of filling show. The rolls will fit into the pan with room between them to rise.
    Loosely cover the rolls with a towel, and let them rise in a warm spot until they have filled out the pan but haven't quite doubled in bulk, about 20 minutes.
    Drizzle the cream over the rolls, and bake in the center of the oven until they are golden and cooked through, 20 to 25 minutes. To test for doneness, place the blade of a knife between two rolls in the center of the pan, and pull back on it to look into the dough.

Remove the pan from the oven, and let the rolls cool for 5 minutes before serving. Cut the rolls, removing them carefully from the pan with a spatula so you get the apple slices too. Serve apple side up. For a more dramatic presentation, invert the rolls onto a warmed serving tray. Makes 16 rolls.
    The author of the cookbook likes to make the dough the night before, let it rise overnight in the refrigerator, and then allow about 1 and 1/2 hours in the morning before she plans to to serve them.

Nancy

• John Liu
    12 years ago

Mmmm. I've caught up on the thread, and now have a craving for roast beef, clams and mussels, carnitas tacos, au gratin anything.

Sadly, I'm back in diet mode so the only one of those I am likely to indulge soon is the shellfish.

Tonight, dinner was
    - Cauliflower, salted and oiled, roasted, tossed in melted butter, then tossed in grated cheese (which sticks thanks to the butter), then briefly broiled on "low" to melt the cheese. Then topped with crumbled bacon.
    - Baby bok choy, tossed with hoisin sauce, sesame oil, chili sauce, lots of pepper, stir fry-steamed (first stir fry in a very hot pan with not too much oil, then add a small amount of stock and cover with a mesh splatter guard, the food steams while the stock, hoisin, oil, etc thicken into a usefully tasty coating), topped with thin strips of ham.
    - Part of a chicken breast. From a supermarket rotisserie chicken. I'm sorry to admit it, I was lazy.

It sounds not very dietetic, but most of the bulk is vegetables. My whole dinner was under 500 calories.

Lunch was a tin of sardines. Breakfast a bowl of soup. Yes, really living it up here.

• ann_t
    12 years ago

I remember when we use to run though 100 posts on the WFD thread in a week. The good old days.

Nancy, your pork tenderloin looks delicious but it is your apple cake that has my mouth watering. I'd love a piece for breakfast.

Dinner last night was Sharon's Rack of Pork.

Tonight was Chateaubriand with homemade Bearnaise with Parisienne Potatoes, little tiny carrots (for Moe), cauliflower, asparagus and sauted cherry tomatoes.

This dinner was soooooo gooood. I grilled the beef and it was cooked just perfect if I do say so myself.

• compumom
    12 years ago

I remember those days well! Last night I read the WFD thread and I guess I was slightly inspired. Not much time nor inclination, but I did stop at the market at 6:45 to buy something. Dinner became beef stroganoff for DH, sort of sauteed beef & a mushroom for me. He said it was good, but lacked something essential, taste-wise. Since I can't eat the onions, I splashed a bit of red wine and some Greek yogurt subbed for sour cream. Afterward I found a recipe that had tarragon and shallots too. I added those to the left overs and he can report back after lunch tomorrow! LOL

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    12 years ago

Good old days. Yea, I miss Sharon, Sol, and many others too. Life gets busy sometimes. That, and it's summer so people are busy being busy outside, not at computers.

Oh, to keep it food related, I had Paula Deen's Easy After Work BBQ Chicken. Mmm. It's become my go to for BBQ chicken. Sue's Roadhouse Ribs is still the best for pork.

Here is a link that might be useful: her recipe (I add liquid smoke to it)

• annie1992
    12 years ago

I'm no help either, with the farm and stepmom, Becky and the hospital trips, I've been crazy busy. One of Elery's co-workers shot some geese at the farm and so he gave us the breasts. Elery grilled them a couple of nights ago and I do have pictures on the camera, they haven't even made it to the computer yet and it won't happen tonight either becaus ewhen I leave work I have to go sort out stepmother's medications, she can't manage to get them right, even though there are only three plus a vitamin. Ah well....

Last night we had sandwiches from oatmeal bread fresh from the oven and the leftover goose, along with some leftover creamed collard greens. Those were very, very good.

Steers were slaughtered yesterday and sent to be packaged, so they will hang and dry age for a week or 10 days, then be cut, shrink wrapped and frozen, so beef will be on the menu again soon.

Annie

• Jasdip
    12 years ago

We've been eating, but nothing earth-shattering and picture-worthy.

I did make Lyndalulu (I think) Wacky Cake last nite. I loved the idea of making 3 holes in the dry mix to put the liquid ingredients in. Hubby loved it. It's nice and moist, freezes well and no need for icing.

• wizardnm
    12 years ago

Annie, you have a full plate in more ways than one.

Ann, your Chateaubriand looks delicious. That's what cooking is all about...good sauces, good sides and meat that looks like yours.
    I too, miss many who don't post now. They always had good recipes to share.

Ellen, I'm learning about eating around food issues.

Jasdip....lol. I haven't thought about Wacky Cake in years, it was very popular for awhile.

Dinner last night was pure comfort food. Kim has a virus and I knew she struggled through work. I made one of her favorites, knowing she'd eat well.

Chicken and Noodles over mashed potatoes.

Chocolate fudge pudding for dessert....easy on her sore throat.

Nancy

• caliloo
    12 years ago

Oh Nancy - that is real comfort food! Looks awesome and I would love the recipe for Fudge Pudding. Sorry I haven't been contributing much either, too busy with life here and the cooking has been a little boring. Day off today, so I decided to be a little more creative.

Mexican Pork Stew with Roasted Tomatillos, Corn and White Beans and Cumin Sweet Potato Fritters. Dessert is a chunk of Apple Crisp Cheesecake Bar with Caramel Sauce.

• compumom
    12 years ago

I too miss Sol and Sharon's contributions to the forum. I always enjoyed reading their posts. There are so many friends MIA, I hope they might return now that fall has begun.

Nancy--who has food issues? Can I help?

Another night of cooking here and I made two new recipes and we tried delicata squash---surprise surprise DH the squash hater, really liked it! The smooth buttery consistency reminded him of a yam, which he loves.

The other new "recipe" was rice floured chicken breast seasoned with penzeys Italian seasoning (thanks to Gina & Jessy) And saut�ed in olive oil, a little vermouth , and finished with grated Parma cheese. Simple but delicious! The chicken was a new brand called "Just Bare" -- all natural, unplumped& trimmed. Yes, I'm sure I paid for the convenience, but they were delicious!

Here is a link that might be useful: Delicata Squash

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    12 years ago

Forum activities have been sluggish everywhere, not just here, all forums where I also visit, including non-cooking forums.

It has been difficult for many months for many people. Droughts, earthquake, floods, tornados, fires, sandstorms, hurricanes, ----------------- it takes months if not years for many to recover.

Adding to that, unemployment, divorces, deaths, sicknesses, foreclosures ---------.

Great cooking everyone.

dcarch