SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nomorebluekitchen

Wish I'd found this forum before today...electrician coming!

nomorebluekitchen
15 years ago

I posted this over on Kitchens but didn't realize there was a separate lighting forum.

My electrician comes today to begin wiring for the new kitchen. I thought I had it totally under control until I saw a thread on kitchens that made me question whether I have can light overkill.

My kitchen is about 13x13 (main kitchen) and 9x10 (eating area). My designer drew up the plan and it includes:

- 4 can lights along the main walking path between the garage door and the front hall. (walking path is far end of kitchen between island and far wall)

- 6 can lights over my work zone (3 along the edge of the island and 3 by sink / DW / cooktop) (between island and sink wall)

- 1 can light over sink

- 6 can lights over the kitchen table

- 2 pendants over the island (Island is approx 5.5 x 3)

- undercabinet lighting

All will be dimmable and the separate functions will be on separate switches.

Is this serious can light overkill??? My cabinets will be medium/dark cherry, counters will be black soapstone, and floors are medium stained oak. Our style is transitional, closer to modern than traditional. I want the room to be warm and well-lit in a good way. (not over-lit).

Can lights are spaced at 4' intervals and are the mini cans.

We get an over-abundance of natural light in the early morning (It BURNS my eyes when I first wake up :) but after about 10 am not much.

DH and I are not big on a decorative light over the table but people on kitchens were saying I should.

Anita

Comment (1)