SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gwendolynne_gw

Tryin2Grow, Rococogirl or other rug experts - advice/opinions?

gwendolynne
16 years ago

Hi Tryin2, I hope you find this, I've fallen in love with a rug but I have some concerns about it and I could really use some expert advice.

The backstory - I'm looking for a rug for my living room and was fully intending to go with something handknotted. Certification by Rugmark (or other similar organization) is also essential and fairly traded would be a bonus. I'm looking for something that has lots of gray with gold and maybe a bit of rust, and I really prefer the softer colours of the vegetable dyes. I've seen two rugs in a local shop (Canadian Rug Traders - google for their website) that would fit the bill. I haven't taken them home yet, but would fully intend to do so before purchasing. These rugs are vegetable-dyed Ghazny made in Pakistan, wool, handknotted, approx. 9x7 with nice overall patterns that are not overly traditional or loud. Both really grabbed me at first glance and I've had them in the back of my head for the last couple of months, just waiting for a good week to take them home (i.e. one where I'm actually going to be home!)

Fast forward to more recently - while reading the Rugmark website, I was led to Angela Adams' site and totally fell in love with her Ocean rug in Sand. It would be perfect for the style of the room, the colours are just right (I ordered the wool sample card) and I just love the look. BUT...it's tufted; hand-tufted in India to be specific. It's not cheap, although it is slightly cheaper than the local hand-knotted one, however, price is not really the issue here. I'm freaked out by the prospect of spending a lot (on shipping too) for a rug that ends up stinking.

I was hoping that you might have some experience with the Angela Adams rugs and might be able to advise me. I had managed to convince myself to stop looking at the pretty Company C rugs because they are tufted and then I go and fall in love with this one :).

There is some possibility that we might be in Maine this summer - I could hold off and strategically plan a visit to the Angela Adams showroom, but if you think that the whole thing is just not a good idea, then I'd rather not be dreaming of that rug for 6 months only to be disappointed.

Please advise! (and as a bit of an aside, do you have any good sources for more contemporary hand-knotted rugs that won't cost both of my arms and a leg? Also, do you know anything about Care & Fair - an association similar to Rugmark? The local rug shop is affiliated with them, but I've been having a bit of a hard time finding independant info about the organization). Thanks so much in advance!

Comments (8)