SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
monicakm1

Are Front Loaders Still Popular? And Baking Soda

monicakm_gw
11 years ago

I'm not getting one but was just wondered if they're still as sought after as they used to be. Because of the stinky washer syndrome, I thought they might be losing their popularity.

I know it won't help the mildew/detergent problem inside the rubber door gasket(?) but I just discovered the wonders of baking soda in the wash. We were to leave to go out of town on a Friday but Thurs night decided to leave right then. I had a load of DH's work clothes in the washer and forgot about them :o Three days later when we got home, I remembered. Thankfully the house was cool all weekend. 66 when we got home. The clothes were sour but not bad, but bad enough to cause a problem when they got warm. First time in over 5 years I'd let this happen. I knew from past experience vinegar didn't always work. Google said use baking soda. One cup for a load. I dumped in a whole regular size box. Use the hottest water your clothes can stand, agitate, stop and let soak for a couple hours. I did a vinegar rinse. That was without a doubt the most NEUTRAL smelling load of laundry! Can't describe the smell because there was none LOL The clothes felt "crisper"too.
Today, I decided to try it on a load of towels, socks, undies and "around the house" shirts that were not sour. I feel like it got rid of soap residue and again, smelled like NOTHING. I don't use fabric softener on that load because of what it does to the absorbancy of the towels. Everything just feels cleaner & crisp...not sure that's a good description. Anyway, I'm happy with it and plan on doing it from time to time. I'm sure it helps freshen the washer too. Mine doesn't smell bad because I leave the lid up ALL the time but it can't hurt :)
Monica

Comments (11)