SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cbgtennis

I think I found a solution to moldy smell in front loader!

cbgtennis
14 years ago

I have had 3 front loaders. First was the Maytag, then the Whirlpool and now the Bosch. Very stupid move, but I only bought 2, one was an exchange.

Anyway, all got that moldy smell. I know everyone is frustrated and have tried everything. I hear your frustration and anger. Anyway, I just did something different and I really think it works. I hope it is not unhealthy or that bad for the environment, but I could not stand it anymore. I had tried everything including afresh and Smellywasher. Smellwasher helped a little.

I tried two product, both do the same thing- kill mold, virus and bacteria. One is called Microban QGC and the other is Benefect. Benefect is "supposedly" better for the environment. Microban doesn't say anything about using it in the laundry, but I did it anyway. I couldn't take the rewashing and smells anymore.

this is what I did:

1. Poured Microban QGC in the washer drum and in the dispenser. I left the door open and turned the drum every 10 min. by hand. To make sure it was coated. I poured about 3 cups in straight. Not diluted. I also sprayed the door and gaskets all over. Let it sit at least 10 min.

2. Put the washer on Hot. In about 3-5 min. after starting the wash, I turned it off completely and let it sit again. I can't remember how long. Probably a few hours.

3. Turned the washer back on to finish the cycle with an extra rinse.

4. Took the awful towels and shirts that reeked. Soaked them in baking soda, and added Benefect in the water in a sink. They soaked there all day.

5. Put the towels and shirts in washing machine and spun them to get out the water. Then rinsed them.

6. Rewashed the towels and shirt on a hot cycle setting with POWDER detergent HE. With an extra rinse.

7. I sprayed my dryer also with the Benefect and wiped it all down. Then sprayed the Benefect in the dryer again and spun that till dry.

Everything seems fixed. I'm SO happy. I hope I don't get cancer. I got the products at a Janitorial supply place. I still keep my door open and use only power detergent. I heard the liquid ones have some fat residue that my stick to the inside of the drum and could cause mold growth. I only have been able to find TIDE in the power form. I see Costco has a HE powder. I will try that next. Also, I sometime spray the machine with a little Benefect if I am not using the machine and let it dry. I plan to know only use the Benefect to retreat every month or so to keep it mold free.

Comments (16)