SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
justindesiree

HE Top Loader (w/o agitator) not cleaning. What should I get instead?

Faith M
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

We previously owned an old fashioned TL Kenmore. It wasn't perfect, but it did clean our clothing (it struggled with some stains, but it got dirt out). It died after about 13 years. We replaced it with a Samsung HE top loader without an agitator. I HATE IT. It does not clean whites, and I imagine the colors are just as dirty and we just can't tell since they aren't white. It does get odors out better than the Kenmore. I'm attaching a photo of our socks, since they are the most disgusting. The sock on the left was never cleaned in the new washer... only our old Kenmore. The other socks were washed over the past few months in this Samsung. I actually washed them three times in a row right before taking this photo because I tried different types of bleach to see if it would help. I've also noticed our towels look greyish instead of white like they used to.

The Kenmore struggled with grease stains, but it got our whites clean. The only thing thing the Samsung does better is removing odors from the clothing. And I guess I do like how it handles our large bedding since it doesn't have the agitator.

Lowe's will not take it back since it's been over 30 days, which I think it AWFUL (I originally contacted them 60 days after purchase because I thought it was user error... it's not... I've researched and tried everything... the socks still look disgusting and other reviewers have said the same). At this point, I'm just going to take the loss and buy a new washer, but I am terrified of buying another useless washing machine. Right now, I'm trying to decide between a GE HE top loader with agitator and an Electolux FL machine. I've never owned a front loader, but I've heard about some of the issues they have from close relatives.

I really need our clothing to be clean. I cannot stand having dirty whites. I'd also like them to smell clean. My hesitation with a FL is I don't want to have a moldy machine that requires constant maintenance, but if all a FL requires is leaving the door open, I do not mind that, as I always leave the TL door open. I'm also worried it might not clean as well. I have concerns about the new HE top loaders, even with the agitator.

Comments (203)

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH