SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sooz_gw

Bake sale popular choices?

sooz
12 years ago

The leader of my church's women's club bake sale asked me to give her some input as to what is really popular at bake sales. Of course, my first thought was posting here!

We had our first bake sale last year (after 11 years of not having any!), so I asked what sold out fast last year. Well, they all sold out--she couldn't recall what sold the best or fastest, but she's looking to make some suggestions to our women's club at the meeting coming up. This is a "sweets" bake sale, not a savory one.

Last year, we had layer cakes, brownies & blondies, cantucci (biscotti), all kinds of different cookies, dipped pretzel logs, cupcakes and mini cupcakes, lemon blossoms, mini bundt cakes, lemon (and other flavors) loaves/lemon bread, cake pops, and chocolate lollipops (melted choc, poured into a mold, on a lolly stick).

She also asked what I could do about my homemade buttercream frosting on my donated cupcakes--the frosting lost it's firmness during the (hot) days of the bake sale. I suggested they either be kept chilled and rotated throughout the hours of the sale if the temps are hot, or I could buy canned frosting for them because that would hold up better (I'm not crazy about this, but whatever).

I mentioned that cheesecakes or mini cheesecakes might go over well, but they would need to be refrigerated/rotated and not "held" at room temp overnight between drop off and bake sale & another night because the bake sale is over two days time. There is no access to refrigeration and the club wants everything on delivery day so they can gussy them up for presentation and sale on the following two days.

I was thinking that cinnamon rolls would be wonderful to suggest to the group, and maybe some sweet scones as another idea.

I might volunteer to make pizelle now that my little pizzelle maker works great.

Any ideas for our bake sale leader to put out there to the club members?? Thanks!

Smiles,

Sooz

Comments (20)

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz