SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
la_koala

Opinions please on kitchen lighting plan

la_koala
13 years ago

Hi,

I would greatly appreciate your opinions on our proposed kitchen lighting plan.

(read down for the image).

Background/stats

This is the first remodel/construction work we've ever had done, so we're nervous about every decision. We have an architect, because this is a gut kitchen remodel and we're adding windows and changing around some things in the existing room.

We're aiming for recessed lighting and undercabinet task lighting (where there are wall cabinets). No pendants (I think they're more decorative than functional and want to avoid breaking up the view out the windows).

Leaning toward CREE LR6, but open to other ideas or suggestions at this point. (We'd look at the CR6, but not sure whether the CR6 will be what we want when they finally arrive.)

The main kitchen space is 11 feet, 9 inches by 14 feet. The "ell" space is 8 feet by 8 feet.

If I use davidtay's formula as a rough guide (35 lumen/sq ft and 600 lumens per can), I get:

Main kitchen: 11.75 feet x 14 feet x 35 lumens / 600 lumens = 9.59 --> round up to 10 cans.

Ell space: 8 feet x 8 feet x 35 lumens / 600 lumens = 3.73 --> rounds to 4 cans.

In the proposal, there's 8 cans (2 less than the rough guide) in the main kitchen area, plus it has the undercab lighting (and the range will have a hood with its lights over the cooking surface). In the ell, the architect put a single central light (vs the 4 from the rough guide). (Originally, there was also a pendant over the little table, but he thought there'd be enough light from the central fixture).

He's also mentioned doing a "wash" light on the wall behind the stools to light any artwork we'd hang there--just hasn't added it to the image yet.

The Proposed Electrical Layout

What do you think? Should we be thinking about adding more cans, and in which places?

[fwiw, we've been living in this kitchen for a few years with a central light/fan combo-fixture with 3 60-watt incandescent bulbs. Part of me wonders that I might have to become a better housekeeper if there's more light because more of the crumbs will show. ;-)]

Thanks in advance!

Lee

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (8)