SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
susanlynn2012

Balcony Door Window Treatment Vote or Opinion

susanlynn2012
16 years ago

Since no one was reading the long post anymore to see I put a post to each link to show choices I felt I had for the balcony door, I realized that is a lot of work so I put the choices all in a slide show that you can click to make a picture bigger. I only chose the few choices I felt I had based on suggestions on the long window treatment post and realizing everyone was right that I must treat the door separately from the windows since they have heating vents underneath them so with just a curtain rod above them,I would need less clearance so the heating vents may not be touched. The Door needs a window treatment to stick out at least 4.75" on top of the door but only a 3" I think if directly on the door itself so that is the way to go.

I posted also my three favorite curtain panels so far. The Shari looks nice also but I have not ordered it online to see if I would like it. The Shari Lace comes in lengths that would fit the door as well as the windows and has a nice valence.

I love the Emma Lace and if I went this way, I could just get a valence on the door only.

I also love the Sensations crinkle semi-sheer since the white is less bright I(nice in person) but then I would have to find a nice valence for it or use the scarf that comes with the Sensations Semi-Sheer panels on the JCPenney Site.

The Ivory Emma Sheers are so pretty and such a beautiful color but the white matches the door so it looks better with my balcony door unless I should repaint the balcony door less white.

I will for now on do slide shows to show many options instead of many posts that scare people off since it is a lot of work to read so many posts. Sorry. Any help would be appreciated if anyone has time to give a quick vote or a suggestion.

Here is a link that might be useful: Balcony Door Window Treatment Decision

Comments (29)

• valley57
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I like the country lace roll up shade for the door or the country lace door panels. I think a regular sheer on a door would look a little off between the two windows and would caause problems when opening and closing the door. I think the shade or door panels have a tailored look and would look better on the door. Are there matching sheers/valances fo the two side windows? If so, that would complete the look.

• les917
    16 years ago

Whatever lace panels you showed in your original post from Penneys that came in both white and ivory are the panels I would use. The lace was very pretty, and not so frou-frou as the country curtains one, as I recall. I would not put a valance on the door. I would just leave the blinds by themselves. A lace valance over the heavy blinds will look unbalanced imo.

• Related Discussions

Window treatment opinions for kitchen/great room

Q

Comments (10)
    I can totally understand why you cannot change the blinds. Can you perhaps get matching ones for the great room lower windows to block the west sun? I know that Hunter Douglas makes remote control ones that run off one control. You could use them interior mounted for the higher windows. A coworker got them for her top windows in her foyer that face the west and she loves them. If you got matching ones on the family room bottom windows to your kitchen shades that would give some continuity to those adjoining spaces and you wouldn't need the drapes to have to close. That would save you a lot of money in material. With all the online retailers, I would think it is possible to find drapes. However, it may be pricey even if they are stock. But, I really think that would give a majestic look to your room.
    ...See More

Window treatment opinions...think I made a mistake :(

Q

Comments (33)
    Love your new blinds, both for adding more view and light to the interior and continuity with the siding to the exterior. May I suggest that you consult with other GW members regarding the sheers as side panels. I think you need a fabric with more "heft" to balance out the weight of your upholstery fabric. Hang the panels floor to ceiling just on the sides so that they just barely cover the ends of the blinds. Also, adding a fabric with pattern would bring some interest and life to the room. These suggestions may be out of your comfort zone but please check out houzz and gather opinions. Home Depot and Lowes are other options that have nice ready made side panels.
    ...See More

same treatments on glass doors and windows?

Q

Comments (5)
    Both blinds and drapes can be practical, especially if the intent is to leave the drape panels apart and have them cover only the side window trim, using the blinds (lowered and/or closed) when there is a need for light control and/or privacy. Some have expressed the opinion that a valance -- even a plain one -- is "out of style" but a lot of those same people actually seem to like the sloppy drapes dragging on the floor look (which is a fad I hope is or soon will be over). In my opinion (not shared by some pros here on Houzz), a valance is not "out of style" -- there is a place for them, especially if the drapes have a rod pocket top hem and that part of the rod holding the drape panels hides the rod. In that case having the rod between the panels also covered is a far more finished look than leaving a wide expanse of exposed curtain rod between two panels of drapes. Having a valance between drape panels can also cover/hide raised mini-blinds -- some newer mini-blinds come without strings and do raise/lower as advertised. Having all those metal and/or plastic rings that are attached to both the curtain/drape panels and the rod in dark or shiny metal exposed that seem designed to attract attention doesn't seem, to me, to be a "finished" look. If you leave the rod and rings exposed, consider white or another light color that more visually "disappears". If the old style flat white rods are used with a traditional rod pocket, and either the panels meet or you use a valance, the rod pocket would enable the side of the rod to be hidden, too -- the rod wouldn't show at all. Another look I like are those drapes with separate fabric rod pockets (tab top) -- (but only with and a rod finish chosen to visually "disappear"). (Loathe the sloppy drag the floor look though): https://www.wayfair.com/window-treatments/pdp/lark-manor-rivau-solid-sheer-tab-top-single-curtain-panel-lark8302.html The newer style drapes with the holes in the top of the drapes themselves that the rod is run through (again, with the rod color chosen to visually "disappear") is, to me, a better casual look than having a dark rod/rings draw attention to itself..
    ...See More

Window treatment opinions

Q

Comments (3)
    I would vote against a valance of any kind. Have you thought of adding a couple comfy, colorful club chairs to the space? Or a small round table with seating for breakfast (if looks like it might be designed as a breakfast table area)?
    ...See More
  • deborahnj
    16 years ago

Lynn, did you ever take the drive to the Country Curtains store in Far Hills or is it Bedminster? I don't know if you have ever been there but the "store" is more like an old colonial style home and I used to go there all the time. I love the way the rooms are set up so that you get a real good idea of what the curtains etc. would look like. You may want to take a drive and that may help with your decision. There are also plentiful swatches to take with you. Finally there return policy is very liberal.

BTW, I think your BR is so serene, very nice job. Also thanks to you, we saved about $7K by not buying a Stanley bedroom set because of the problems you had with yours.

Good luck with your choices.

• susanlynn2012
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you so much valley57 for you opinion that I value. I am learning it is best to have all pictures in one link and not so many pictures so people can follow see what I am asking.

I have been wanting to drive over to Country Curtains since both stores (each about 40 minutes from me) near me had salespeople that were so helpful over the phone and they suggested that the Country Lace roll up shade would fit my door and so would the panels since they come in a 71" length and my honeycomb blind is 69". They told me they do not get a commission and if I brought pictures of my bedroom in, they would help me.

They sent me free tiny samples that were difficult to see much except they are a thicker material than the JCPenney Sheers so may cover my Duet Blinds better. The pattern is different and they are a little more money than the JCPenney lace or sheers but may be worth it if quality and makes me love my bedroom. Do you like the pattern in the link? If money was no issue, I would get a lace shade for each window to put over the black-out honeycomb shades and the door and then just have lace panels on the windows.

Since JCPenney is so close to me, it was easy for me to visit and I saw the Emma sheers and thought they were beautiful but they only come with a valence and one size in the lace panels and either ivory or white in color.

I wonder if Country Curtains ever have sales?

Do you like the white or the natural color? Do you think a decorative rod or a clear rod would be best?

The Country Lace ensemble also has a matching valance that matches.

Here is a link that might be useful: Country Lace Panels in Natural or White

• susanlynn2012
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Les, I also LOVED the beautiful pattern on the Emma lace panels and wish they had a lace shade to go with them. Their price is wonderful at $20 a panel less 15% off due to a 15% coupon I have making them $17 a panel. I actually loved both the ivory color and the white color. Maybe just the Emma valence directly on the door to tie in with the two windows?

I know the other JCPenney lace panels had a cream and not an ivory that may be too yellow and their white is described as a cool white.

Deborahnj, thank you for letting me know that the store has a wonderful show room where I can see if I like the pattern in person or not and that would be wonderful so I should drive there to at least rule out the pattern or to know this is the right choice. Would it look bad to mix patterns?

I am so glad that my post about my problems with the Stanley Bedroom Furniture helped you not make a $7,000 mistake. You are always so helpful. Thanks for the wonderful comments about my bedroom. I am having a very stressful few years with this one the worst and having a peaceful serene bedroom is helping me feel I have a place to go to for relaxation and it is helping me deal with my life. I am loving how my bedroom is coming along.

• valley57
    16 years ago

I prefer a white lace rather than off-white due to the off-whites sometimes looking too yellowish or dull. Also, I like the pineapple final rod which you had in your slideshow. I think that would look great over your windows (but clear would be fine as well). The pineapple rod add a little more decorative look. I tried to find a coupon code for country Curtains but had no luck not sure when or if their products go on sale--but this is the "white sale" time of the year. Sometimes, all you have to do is call and ask; you might get someone who can let you know. Let us know how it turns out.

• deborahnj
    16 years ago

Lynn, as far as mixing patterns of lace, I would defer to Les on that but my gut tells me it is not always a good idea. I think that it would depend on the pattern and the size of the room.

I have another suggestion for you and hopefully it won't cloud your issue but have you tried Fabricland? They have some great window treatments and have stores in both North Plainfield and Paramus. In my very first home, I purchased lace shades from them and loved them!! They are identical to the Emma shades you posted. They have a frequent buyer discount program and if you sign up for their emails you get coupons. Their pricing is pretty reasonable so that is another alternative. Note on the bottom of the website, the Paramus store is called Metropolitan Window Fashions.

Also I don't know how handy you are but they sell tons of fabric including lace and that may help as well.

I drooled over the Stanley BR set for months and after reading your saga both me and DH and I decided against it.

So from one Jersey Girl to another, once again thank you!! LOL I so miss home!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Fabricland

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Lynn, in response to your request for my humble opinion :) -- my mind is shot, lol. It won't open another project page! I'll view your other thread and wander back later with my thoughts, or send you an email, when I can cram something else into this little brain I have to work with :) ... but the only thing I notice in the slideshow is that I liked the lacey-ness to stay on the bed and the sheers to be plain, soft, and wispy, just softening the background and supporting the serene quality of your room. Nothing more.

• susanlynn2012
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Valley57, thanks for letting me know you prefer the white lace. I was thinking that the white would not limit my need at any time to change the wall color and having to worry about it clashing. I also liked how the both white panels looked on the white door.

I really like the slim white mini rod with the pineapple finials and I think the bright white rod would make the white door and white trim on my balcony door go better with my bedroom. Since the rod is so slim, I may be able to get away with no mini clips to open and close the blinds unless I visit the Country Curtain store and just prefer the clip rings for another decorative touch. I like the clear rods also but I think they will limit me in opening and closing the blinds if I want a lot of light in and want to open the windows in the summer time to air out my bedroom.

deborahnj, those pretty lacey shades were from the Country Store and is the country pattern and not the pretty Emma Lace panel from the JCPenney store. I think I should visit the Country Curtains store in Bedminster since I really also like the white mini rod and want to see it in person with the pineapple finial and bring my tape ruler to see how long it is on the ends. Then I can see the curtain panels I liked online in person and get a feel of how I like them hung up compared to the Emma JCPenney Lace panel or the Sensations White semi-sheer panel at the JCPenney's store.

deborahnj, I checked out your link at Fabricland and they also have a store in Wayne, NJ since I really dislike driving near Paramus due to the traffic and do not know Plainfield too well which is not close to me. Thanks for the link. I can't sew but I see they have a pleated lace shade for the middle window (but maybe the extra pleats will look too busy and not match?). They also have a great selection it looks like and may give me an idea of a valence for my middle door. I may stop by since I will be in that area in the next few days when the Fortunoff store calls me to pick up my Madie lamp replacement (was not ready on Saturday as they told me it would be). Fortnoff is in Wayne, NJ also.

Squirrelheaven, thank you for your opinion since I still really love the crinkle semi-sheers in person due to the white not being as bright and how silky they are. I love bright white but when I bought a bright white lacey comforter, I found I enjoyed a less bright white on my bed so I went with the ivory color which I love on my bed. The white is still white and not a cream and so will look nice with my white door.

I may buy the mini rod and two panels of each blind I like, and see how it looks hung up and that may help my decision best (was difficult to tell with only one panel each and not hung up with the proper look) but it looks like despite loving that very pretty ivory color on the lacey panels, the white may look best with my door being a bright white and not limit my paint choices if I ever want to paint my bedroom again. I am getting used to the Ralph Lauren Deep Cream color on the walls despite wishing it was a tad less lemon and a tad deeper.

I love the lace but I do worry about feeling overwhelmed by too much of it in my bedroom due to wishing I went with a less busy headboard. I was surprised I liked the look of the white lace best when I was sampling them but that is only one lacey panel.

I love my headboard but I wish it did not have the ropes on it and then it would be less busy and I wish it was not so heavily distressed and only had a little distressing with the rustic technique. I am learning that I like buying things I can return since I never know how I feel with it around me until I am living with it a few days.

I still love my Durham Furniture so much especially the Shutter Door TV Deck Armoire. I still love my ivory comforter also. I love the flowers I bought on EBay thanks to Squirrels virtuals showing me that was what my double dresser needed.

• deborahnj
    16 years ago

Lynn, Fabricland is in North Plainfield on RTE 22 on the west side of the highway. If you are familiar with either RTE 22 or RTE 78, you may want to take a ride out there. It is pretty easy to get to. Perhaps when you go to Bedminster to Country Curtains. I love Fortunoff and miss it terribly here in OH. I used to go to the Wayne and Woodbridge stores all the time. Both of the comforter sets in my guest rooms are from Fortunoff. Good luck!

• susanlynn2012
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Clearfrost Curtain Rods for Laces & Sheers (would be able to slide the rod pocket I think on this thin rod, one on each window and maybe one on the door for a valence. I wonder what width the JCPenney Rod is? JCPenney's clear rod has a maximum 2" clearance so would not fit on my balcony door). Free shipping on orders up to $50 (ends 1-15-08) but I was not able to find anything other than these three rods.

Clearfrost Rods are almost invisible, 5/8"H plastic. You'll love the way they disappear behind sheers or lace. Single Rods hold one layer of window treatment and have a 2" projection. Curtain Rod is available in two adjustable sizes. Door Rods, which adjust, are sold as a pair. Double Curtain Rods project from a metal bracket to permit layering a valance.

Single or double curtain rods
    Â Door panel rods are also available
    Â Made of clear plastic
    Clearfrost Rods are almost invisible, 5/8"H plastic. You'll love the way they disappear behind sheers or lace. Single Rods hold one layer of window treatment; they have a 2" projection. The Curtain Rod is available in two adjustable sizes. Choose 28"-48"W for standard windows or 48"-84"W for wider windows. Door Rods, which adjust from 18"-30"W, are sold as a pair. Double Curtain Rods project 2" and 3.5" from a single flat, metal bracket to permit layering a valance over panels or curtains. Choose from two sizes: 28"-48"W or 48"-84"W.

Made of plastic.

Wipe with a dry clean cloth.

• susanlynn2012
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I decided to (90% for sure with 10% still thinking of a cute skinny rod that will allow me to slide the sheer panels or lace sheer panels open and closed and be decorative but I know I do not have much wall space) just go with two panels on each window and just a valance on the balcony door using the clear rods shown in the above link unless I can find a local place that sells them. Does anyone think it would be best to have three valances (one on each window also). I thought that would not work since the valances would not line up with the door valance. I think I answered my own question. :)

Would it look funny opening up sheers or lace sheers on a clear rod? I want to be able to open the panels sometimes when I want a lot of light and maybe some air with the windows open.

• susanlynn2012
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Deborahnj, I know where Rt 22 is. I guess I can make an appointment with my allergist ( have not seen her in awhile) that is on the way to the Far Hills Country Curtain Store (I am again thinking I like the pineapple finials on the skinny 3/8th inch rod so I can slide the sheers or lace panels back an forth but I need to see in person to know for sure)and then I can go to the No. Plainfield Store. Thank you!

I think I need rods as soon as possible so I can hang up two of each panel to be sure what I want. I need them hung up the way they will look with the the fullness to know th intensity of the white and ivory and lace or crinkle look.

I must put this out of my mind and work tomorrow and see if I can get up very early on Tuesday when my allergist is open to do everything before I get back to work.

I wish you were still in NJ. I hope you like Ohio despite missing expensive northern NJ.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Lynn, just saw this pic, which reminded me of your sheers. It's an example of how peaceful a plain sheer is and how its plain-ness and simplicity really highlights the details of the bed (your ironwork and lacy bedding).

{{gwi:1557101}}

• susanlynn2012
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Squirrel, Thank you for the picture. I like how the sheers do not compete with the bed and are very soft and give that serene look. I like how the sheers are so soft in color also. Thank you so much.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

This first set looks like the type of fabric. The second pic is in a sparkling organza -- don't know just how sparkly the stuff is, but if it's subtle it might be nice since you like the crystal so much and are getting less.

CC Sheer

CC Sparkly Organza

• susanlynn2012
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Squirrel, Thank you for thinking of me. I love the first sheer and that is why a few weeks ago, I got samples of it mailed to me. If I had no duet honeycomb blinds on my windows, that is a perfect sheer and both colors are beautiful with the white not being too bright. But it is very sheer and looks like it does not cover my duet blinds too well. I have a tiny tiny sample they gave me in one of my slide shows along with their country lace in natural they sent me.

The Sparkly Organza also sounds pretty but I prefer white, natural or ivory. I have tried sheers that said cream and against my deep cream walls, they seem to clash in the yellow shade and then my room became too yellow.

Country Curtains also has a sheer macracame that looks identical to your first link but there is macrame at the bottom in a slim strip and it is beautiful. But again, I think it is too sheer to cover the duet blinds and that is why I think either the crinkle sheers or the lace. My problem with the beautiful Emma lace (from JCPenney... I really love the pattern that is similar to my comforter) is the white looks good on my door but is a very very bright white brighter than my SW Extra White on my door and I fear too much of it will be too loud in my bedroom. The Sensations Semi-Sheer from JCPenney is a nice soft white that matches my balcony door's white very well. It looks soft against the bright white lace.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

I wonder if you could double up the sheer? I saw one there that looked like it only had a border along the sides and bottom and thought that could be a good option too, just a bit of pretty detailing on them (turned out it had an overall pattern too). Didn't pull up the picture of the macrame one.

Yes, I agree, looking at your slideshow, too white (as it shows in the photo).

• susanlynn2012
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Squirrel, That was what I was thinking until I saw the price of each panel. JCPenney's panels are cheaper and I could do that by putting four on a rod when there is a great sale. Country Curtain has the prettiest sheers and curtain rods. I still love that white mini 3/8th decorative rod with the little pineapples on the end. I wonder if they would give me a good deal if I bought more?

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

I doubt CC negotiates their prices, lol! but you can always ask :)

Here are some thoughts. Getting some full sheer panels that gather along the top, making that little ruffle up there, one of the 3/4 lengths not full to the floor, then pull them back to the side, layering them off to the side in one of those curved hankerchief type shapes. Having them fall about to the length that the bottom of your door panel will go, so they have consistency along the bottom edges. Then, CC has an example of a lacy piece gathered over the top of the door panel, with a tassel. A gathered sheer or double-sheer over the door might disguise the honeycombs underneath enough.

I thought it was CC that had the pic of the way the 3/4 length folds and drapes to the side, but I can't seem to find it. Maybe you've seen it before. Nice detail and very feminine and graceful for what you're trying to achieve.

Didn't you say one of your friends is or knows of someone who sews for a reasonable price? You might do better, esp with your time, just getting some nice sheer fabric and working from there.

• susanlynn2012
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Squirrel,

That is so pretty. I especially like that idea for the door. I love the valence on the door.

The Emma has a triangle valence in either Ivory or white in a pretty lace. Can I mix shares with a lacey valance?

I need 3" clearance for she sheer over the Duet Black-Out Cellular Blinds. So Will I need about a 5" clearance for the valence on the door?

I have to go to a tailer to hem things since my friend that sews moved unfortunately and I can't sew.

I forgot how prettymy bedding can be. I must start to make my bed. I have just been so obsessed with making my bedroom right, that I am getting so behind in everything else in my life and I hope I get a good nights sleep

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

I think the lace overlay piece on the sheer looks pretty.

That's a nice thing about shabby chic and some of the other relaxed styles -- you can leave your bed unmade, maybe straightened a bit, but relaxed, drapey, and unmade and it looks comfortable and pretty :) Also makes you want to climb back in though, lol.

• susanlynn2012
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you Squirrel for reminding me it does not have to be perfect to be pretty. :)

• susanlynn2012
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Another thing Squirrel, My bedroom's paint color is not as deep and pretty as your beautiful virtual. The paint color varies. Sometimes it is a happy color and when the sun enters the room with all the blinds open, I like the color then. Other times it is a lemony color that I always wish would be a tad deeper like your picture with a tad less lemon in it. I guess paint colors look different in different lighting and pick up what is around them also. I am learning so much about decorating.

The Linen blind color gets more brown in it at night (it is a pretty color in the day time more creamier and not so dark with the ash color in it) and in my mind clashes with the paint color at night so I want the blinds covered at night so despite loving this treatment for the day time, I would want two sheers on each window to be able to open them up during the day time and close them at night and for coverage since one sheer will not cover the duet 3/4 size pleats.

Most likely these sheers will have to be semi-sheers for more coverage (that is why I looked at the Sensations Crinkle Sheers and the Emma Lace Sheers since I did not like how the regular sheers I bought home covered my Duet blinds so poorly). The white Emma lace really covered the windows the best but the white was a little bright that maybe is not showing up in the pictures despite how pretty it is. The Sensations has a nice soft white but I still am thinking of putting a lace valence on the door since I love the Emma valence and pattern.

But this wonderful picture has given me ideas for my balcony door and that I am so happy about.

Thank you.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

I think you'd just drop the sheers straight down at night. They're shorter, so wouldn't cover the vents.

• susanlynn2012
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you Squirrel. I guess I would need to go with very wide sheers to get the coverage and fullness of two sheers in one. It is so cute the way you have that set up.

My EBay lamps arrived and I just took a look in my other room and they made me smile since they are adorable. I wanted them in my bedroom but they really only take a tiny 25 watt light. But they are just too cute in my spare bedroom that eventually I will fix up. One room at a time for me since it takes me so long. :)

• les917
    16 years ago

Lynn, I am not trying to confuse you, but if you haven't, would you please take a look at these damask sheers from JCP, in the natural beige color?

I think they might be wonderful in your room, they have the weight and texture to balance the heavy blinds underneath, the color might be just what you need, and you could use the valance on your door if desired. I think the effect might be prettier than the lace, more to the shabby chic side and less to the frou-frou side.

medina damask sheers

• susanlynn2012
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Les for thinking of me. I wish I could see this in person since it is an online item only. The beige looks like a nice color and it may cover my Duet Blinds well.

I once ordered an ivory duvet cover online from JCPenney and it looked so dark and not like ivory at all. I then ordered a few other comforters and one was almost white, one was gold and the one I kept was perfect. They were all called ivory and all looked light online. Hence, I will have to think about using the free shipping coupon to see it in person. JCPenney has a wonderful return policy and you do not have to pay back the shipping if you got free shipping.

• susanlynn2012
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Les, I looked again and the damask sheers are very pretty but too formal for my bedroom. If I could see them in the store, I would check them out but I dislike ordering online and having to return unless I really am in love.

I do appreciate you sharing me this link which is giving me some ideas on the set up of the balcony door.

I still have my bedside light plugged into another outlet like you suggested and I should have thought of this long ago so I did not have to get up to turn off the switch from the wall.

Sponsored
Miller Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Franklin County's Trusted Custom Cabinetry Solutions