SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
remodelfla

Can you help me pick a sink?

remodelfla
15 years ago

I like both. Would the apron sink sit lower in a standard height sink base? That would be great for me. I like the idea of the offset drain on the Silgranit because then I could still set a trash pullout underneath since the drain and disposal would be on the other side. I orginally wanted a batch feed disposal but I'm not sure if the units are larger. I'd compromise on that to fit the trash underneath. Anyway... what do you think?

Or this:{{!gwi}}

Comments (21)

• laxsupermom
    15 years ago

I love the stainless apron front. Soooo purdy! But, if you want to put the trash under the sink, the silgranit w/ the offset drain is probably more practical. I don't think apron sinks sit lower, but there might be less space because of the support they need underneath. I'm not sure if that made any sense(little too much wine w/ dinner.)

• Buehl
    15 years ago

OK...I've just been buying wine, not drinking it :-) so here's my opinion...same as LaxSuperMom's! (See drinking wine doesn't impair your judgment!)

I really like the apron but I think space for a trash pullout under the sink may be difficult not just b/c of the extra supports but also, as you mentioned, b/c of the drain location. (But it does look cool...can you put your trash somewhere else?)

• Related Discussions

Can you help me pick colors?

Q

Comments (2)
    Used to have a Kelly Moore fandeck but I left it behind somewhere so I can't take a peek at the color chips. Hopefully, someone else will pop by...
    ...See More

Can you help me pick size of frame for wall space?

Q

Comments (3)
    How high are your ceilings? I can't actually picture the spaces just from dimensions, but I think that one lone picture on a good-sized expanse of wall could look lonely. Can you post photos?
    ...See More

Can you help me pick cabinet hardware; color and type

Q

Comments (10)
    I agree with the finish but wouldn't get knobs. I have knobs on one of my vanity's and it drives me crazy. The cord on the hairdryer gets caught on it constantly. It also is the perfect height to get stuck on belt loops. Sounds dumb bit it happens more than you'd think! I have bin or cup pulls on my drawers in the kitchen & I like them. I'd do a smooth pull in the bathroom. Not sure if a bin pull would look right in a bathroom.
    ...See More

Can you help me pick out pendants to go with this chandelier?

Q

Comments (13)
    Thank you all for the great ideas! Not ready to post a pic of my space - somewhat hesitant as I dont feel it's camera ready yet. I go back and forth on whether or not I want to keep with the candle theme; Hubbardton Forge makes a matching 3 candle mini chandelier but it is over $400 and I would need two of them. But then would it all be too matchy-matchy? Maybe a pair of glass pendants IS the way to go. I find myself becoming inexplicably cheap as this process goes on...why can't I find something I like for $100? I am so tired of spending money and making decisions. But, I keep telling myself that we are in the homestretch so don't wimp out now!! I just so badly want it all to be DONE.
    ...See More
  • remodelfla
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I could... but they both look beautiful so I want to weigh everything equally and go with the best function as well as looks. What about cleanability and looks when you don't always wipe it down every single time....:-)

• morton5
    15 years ago

Remodefla, since you are thinking of putting a trash pullout beneath the sink, I am linking a thread on the trash pullouts beneath my sink and how my contractor fit them. I think you could have one pullout with the silgranit sink, if you put the dishwasher on the side of the offset drain.

The apron-front sink is beautiful, but I think the disposer would interfere with your pullouts. I have no experience with this type of sink but I do wonder how well it would look over time-- I think in my kitchen this sink would get scratched in front and on the top ledge, and also would constantly need to be wiped down.

Here is a link that might be useful: trash pullouts under sink

• rhome410
    15 years ago

2 great choices. I was liking the Silgranite until I got to the apron front stainless. I don't even like stainless sinks, but that's my all-time favorite for 'cool factor'. However, I'm thinking if you don't want to wipe it/polish it all the time, the Silgranite is likely easier to keep looking nice?

• plllog
    15 years ago

I'm not really a fan of stainless steel sinks, but this one does have nice lines. I like the offset drain, especially when there's going to be a disposer. Think about things like putting individual dishes (not stacked) in the sink, rinsing spinach, etc. Between that and the trash pull-out thing I think the Silgranit is more practial. Plus, it'll be quieter and it won't get spots. ;) But stainless cleans well, as in easy to disinfect, etc. And you can't kasher Silgranit (if you care).

Your kitchen isn't huge, if I remember right, so stylistically, having a cabinet front sink, rather than an apron front, will also sleek it up some. In long runs, having the apron front break up the line can humanize a space and make it cozier. In an already cozy enough space, keeping the lines as long and simple as possible make it look airier.

• remodelfla
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I've had that stainless sink bookmarked for a long while...:-). But... the truth is I know I won't be a slave to wiping down a sink. morton... those threads are what inspired me! I have a 15" next to my sink between the sink and bakers table. It's going to be angled. I could put a trash pullout in there but I thought it would be more functional with drawer space. The DW is to the right of the sink either way. Price is about the same. I know cabinet makers have sink bases specifically for apron front sinks. I should check the interior specs to see the difference. What a great idea!!

• charlikin
    15 years ago

Given that they're both gorgeous, I would take the one that is easier to care for, i.e. the Silgranit. That SS apron front is a stunner, but I think it's only going to be a stunner when freshly polished.

• remodelfla
    Original Author
    15 years ago

plllog has a really good point about the continuity of the run since my kitchen is small. I'll already have a break in countertop materials on that side. Oh well... sometimes practicality is no fun! But it sure is PRETTY! The Silgranit is beautiful too and it's what I orginally wanted until I saw that one.

• pfmastin
    15 years ago

I have a couple of black silgranits and they don't need to be wiped down at all. I never thought I'd be in love with a sink! It dries with no spots...or at least if they're there, you can't see 'em. :)
    Pam

• vicnsb
    15 years ago

They are both great looking and totally different in style...the siligrant won't make the statement that the SS apron will make, so you have to think about
    how much you want that statement. Since you have had it bookmarked for a long time, I wouldn't discard it too easily for easier maintenance,
    but then again I don't know anything about SS sinks! Narrowing down
    to your final look takes a lot of work!
    vic

• cheri127
    15 years ago

Why can't I see the pic of the stainless apron sink???? I love them and almost opted for one but got hung up on the idea of scratching the apron with my belt buckle. Silly, yes? Another one of those second guesses that may come back to haunt me.

• homepro01
    15 years ago

Remodel,
    I hate to be the naysayer but I don't think either model match what I think your kitchen is aiming for. I think a lighter color Silgranite would look good but not the black or gray. I was thinking about your choice of the marble countertop for the bakers tables that would be next to this sink. What color countertop would you be planning for the rest of the kitchen? I don't think an apron sink fits the style you are currently working towards. I almost want to suggest a copper undermount sink but the countertop color would play a role in that.

Good luck!

• PoorOwner
    15 years ago

I have gone through those 2 choices and I have chosen the SS farm sink. Just a couple of reasons because it is easier to fabricate my counter top (well, I was looking at a wavy edged granite sink), and I always get the front edge of the counter wet, with the apron front sink this is less of a problem.

The size of my 36" sink is substantial in my small kitchen, but it is infact what I need to wash up my wok and big items comfortably.

• remodelfla
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I posted the Silgranit for style... not the color. I don't yet know what color I'd get. I'm not sure what color I'd get for a granite countertop yet. I love so many different materials I'm almost tempted to get a variety just to appease each of my moods! I'm actually thinking that in the old laundry room area where the bakers table and coffee center will be I'll go with marble (obviously) on the bakers table and find a remnant of soapstone for the coffee counter. DH is a messy coffee maker, I love the feel of soapstone, and I won't have to worry about coffee stains. I also LOVE lighter granite that have blue running through them, quartzites , and Azul Macabas. I'll have to see what color/wood drawer fronts I end up with.

A little OT... but I had the idea that whatever I end up with in wood for my cabs, I'd buy unpainted poplar or whatever is the cheapest paintable, and paint the wall cabs above the bakers table to match the table. I would have glass front (opaqueish) for the wall cabs and some open shelving. I'd just have the style tie in to the rest of the more contemporary cabs. It'll definitely be a ecclectic look!

• plllog
    15 years ago

Your OT idea sounds like it would make the baker's table look great, but it's another way of breaking up the lines of your kitchen. If you keep the cabinets over the same as the other uppers it'll draw the eye along to the end of the room, and help to neutralize the way the table itself (its rather wonderful self!) breaks things up.

An alternative might be, instead, to use smaller details to differentiate the baker's table section. Like using similar hardware on the uppers.

I love your idea in isolation, but considering the room as a whole, maybe you could make yourself a list of all the eclectic notions you love (baker's table, apron sink, cabinets (pseudo hutch) to match baker's table, etc.) and prioritize them. Choose one, or at most two, to be the highlight feature. Like what they say about jewelry--finish off your outfit by taking some off.

On the other hand, there's the Auntie Rosy look. You know, the auntie who has half a dozen rings, dangly earrings, beads, chains, a pendant and a charm bracelet--and manages to make it all look good! For that, lard it on. Go for the apron front, and the painted cabs, the glass fronts, different hardware in each section, etc., etc. Maybe even a different colored end wall. That much mismatch in a confined space will take some special care to achieve harmony, but it could come out looking like a funky European kitchen, really different, colorful, and compact rather than claustrophobic.

• jb1176
    15 years ago

Have your cabinets been selected? I thought the two sinks took different style sink bases. My preference is for the silgranit.

• remodelfla
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I don't have my cabinets yet. Still deciding between a combination of Ultracraft, IKEA, and buidling them ourselves. The side of the run that the bakers table is on has no uppers. The opposite side (cooking side) will have a few uppers, above the frig and two small ones to each side of the hood. The only other uppers would be above the 15" depth coffee center.
    Here's the layout:

I'm not the Aunt Rosie type... prefer clean unclutter lines.I just think the aluminum and opaque glass would work with the bakers table in that it's lines are also very clean.

• plllog
    15 years ago

Oh! Sorry!! My mistake. It was late and I was thinking your breakfast bar was uppers. Teaches me to get my facts straight before mouthing off! (Yes, the chairs are clearly marked; being tired is no excuse!)

In that case, I'd say absolutely do the uppers to match the baker's table, but not the apron sink. You're very right that the style you've chosen is clean in itself. That way, looking down the range side your eye carries along to the coffee bar. From angles where you're seeing the baker's table your eye will stop there, but that's your featured element so that's good. From straight on the eye will take in the difference between the uppers on either side, and between the baker's table's uppers and the lowers next to it, but that should work: If the eye is confused it tends to look for a place to rest, so from that position it'll tend toward the left, where there is a more continuous line (people are accustomed to ranges and skip over them unless they're really different looking).

BTW, another reason not to go with the stainless apron is that the color might clash with the aluminum (which tends to be blue).

• remodelfla
    Original Author
    15 years ago

plllog... no need to apologize at all! I didn't realize that aluminum is blueish.. that's a good thing! You're right about the apron sink. It's sooooo pretty but just isn't as practical. Plus... I'm not a "clean" cook and the Silgranit will probably serve me better. Unfortunately, the way my kitchen is laid out; the bakers table won't be very visible to most people unless they walk INTO my kitchen. That's OK... I'll use it to death and love every minute of it's uninterupted glorious 70 1/2" of marblely topped space!

• homepro01
    15 years ago

I was not going to post this but I wish I could fit it into my minimalist kitchen I hope you like it!

Here is a link that might be useful: Eleek Aluminum and Bronze sinks