Frozen cornbread?
15 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (18)
- 15 years ago
Related Discussions
My cornbread sucked
Comments (18)I posted this a while back; regular readers, please forgive the repetition. You have touched on a topic which people will debate with theological zeal, i.e., should corn bread have sugar and/or flour. The farther removed from the Deep South you are, the more acceptable such 'adulterants' (grin) become. I will grant a point to those who use sugar and flour: unless the quality of the corn meal is very good, cornbread made with just corn meal can be bitter. Meal can go rancid and stale pretty quickly. But cornbread made with fresh cornmeal, preferably stone-ground locally, is plenty sweet on its own. I generally only buy small quantities of cornmeal--just enough to make whatever recipe I'm making, and I buy it at a store that seems to have a good turnover of product. (That means not buying it at a gourmet store. No telling how long that stuff has been on the shelf.) Fortunately in my area of South Carolina there are a few grist mills not too far away that supply the local stores. Bernard Clayton's 'New Complete Book of Breads' actually has a listing for 2 different breads. One he calls "Yankee Corn Bread" (sugar, flour, yellow corn meal) and the other is Southern Corn Bread (white corn meal, no sugar or flour.) I find, though, that the freshness of the meal is more important than whether it's white or yellow. For those with access to good fresh meal I recommend this recipe for Southern Corn Bread, from Clayton (it's pretty similar to Jimster's prior post): 2 eggs, room temp 2 cups buttermilk, room temp 1 tsp baking soda 2 cups white cornmeal (but yellow is okay, too) 1 1/2 tsp salt Preheat oven and baking utensil (skillet or 9 x 9 pan) to 450 while mixing batter. In a small bowl beat the eggs and mix in the buttermilk. In a mixer bowl, mix the baking soda, cornmeal and salt. Pour in the egg-buttermilk mixture and mix well until smooth. Pour batter into the preheated pan, return to oven for 20 to 25 minutes. It's done when a knife inserted into the center of the pan comes out clean & dry. I use this recipe when I make cornbread dressing for Thanksgiving; a quadruple recipe just barely fits into a 5 quart KitchenAid mixer bowl, and into an 11 x 14 pan. Absolutely delicious. This is what you use to soak up the pot juices from cooking black-eyed peas or greens. I always called those juices 'pot liquor' but my wife wondered what the heck I was talking about when I used that term. I guess that's southern as well. If I seem to go on & on, please forgive me: I'm on Atkins and can't have any cornbread right now. When I lose another 20 pounds, though, I'm going on a carbo bender which will most definitely include a batch of this cornbread....See Moreleft over cornbread?
Comments (9)This is a potluck favorite around here. I have not made it but sure have eaten. When someone takes it to potluck, they always go home with an empty dish. ***You can add whatever your like but this is pretty much the basic Cornbread salad Ingredients: â¢1 recipe of cornbread â¢1 envelope ranch dressing mix â¢1 cup (8 oz) sour cream â¢1 cup mayonnaise â¢2 cans (16 oz each) pinto beans â¢2 cups shredded cheddar cheese â¢10 slices bacon, fried very crispy, and crumbled ⢠2 cans whole kernel corn, drained ⢠1/2 cup each of chopped red bell pepper, green bell pepper, green onions and several chopped tomatoes Preparation: Make up the cornbread, cool. Stir together salad dressing mix, sour cream and mayonnaise until blended; set aside. Combine tomatoes, bell peppers and onions. Toss gently. Crumble 1/2 of the cornbread into a large bowl. Top with half each of beans, tomato mixture, cheese, bacon, corn and dressing mixture. Repeat layers. Cover and chill for at least 3 hours. When ready to serve, stir the whole mess together! This is also great without ranch dressing package mix. Plus, you may add any veggies you want...See MoreFOOD RECIPES, CORNBREAD SALAD AND CREOLE SAUCE
Comments (124)Nancy, I don't think I have tried that salad dressing before. I'll have to make it some day. :) What kind of vinegar should I use? Apple cider, white, or it doesn't matter? Kim, that recipe is so simple! Haha, will have to try it when my garden starts producing tomatoes. DH loves raw tomatoes. (He hates it when I cook sliced tomatoes in my stir-fries.) Also, has anyone watched Ugly Delicious on Netflix? I thought it is pretty fun to see how the different food cultures create the same dish in each episode. Disclaimer: think it's a either-you-love-it-or-hate-it kind of show, and there's some cussing in it....See MoreUPDATE - Cornbread Recipe That Freezes Well
Comments (13)I freeze cornbread if it ever gets leftover . There is no reason why you cant. I like to cut it in pieces so that I can take out that one piece and I will have it with some good beans, as "cornbread and beans". You are opening a can of worms when you ask for a good recipie. I will share mine, as it is the best! As certified by me! 1 3/4 cup good cormeal 1/4 cup flour, ( Or, just use 2 cups of cornmeal if you dont want to use flour.) 2 teaspoons baking powder 1/4 teaspoon baking soda 1 teaspoon salt 2 tablespoons oil or melted butter 1 egg Enough buttermilk to make a fairly thick batter, about 1 1/2 cups. Have on the stove a cast iron skillet that is about 10" or 12" and put enought oil in to give a nice coat to the skillet, and let the skillet get hot. Sprinkle about a tablespoon or so of cornmeal into the hot oil and pour the thick batter into the hot oil. You will hear just a bit of a sizzle as the batter hits the hot oil. I leave it on the burner for a couple of minutes and let that bottom get to baking up nicely and then........... Put it in to bake about 375 for about 25 minutes. When it is done, turn in out upside down on a plate and there you have this beautiful toasted corn crust! Leave it like that with that side up and dont cover it as it will retain moisture. Let it cool before you cover it. Crusty bottoms are much more interesting!!!!! That is the way cornbread was put on the table, with that wonderfully browned bottom up! I like that. I just might call it that in my recipe files that I am writing to pass down. "Crusty Bottoms Cornbread". It wil go nicely with the "Cat Head Biscuits". No sugar, no sugar, no sugar, etc........just, no. You will be surprised at the amount of buttermilk it takes to make a batter. For a buttermilk batter I will use as reference a measure of buttermilk that is a bit less than the measure of the meal and flour. A buttermilk batter will be thicker than one made with sweet milk. It may not be as pourable as a sweet milk batter. Let it be thicker just like that and dont keep adding buttermilk until it is pourable. That wil be too much and make your baking heavy. The acid in the buttermilk will begin to react with the baking soda right away while still in the mixing bowl. With such a batter, it is good to get it into the skillet as quickly as you can. You want to capture that nice rise with the baking. Buttermilk is a wonderful baking ingredient and has come to be the only thing that I will use to bake with. Cornbread is so easy to make. You could put together your dry mix ahead of time and you could have your egg, buttermilk and oil together in a container and just mix and bake. You can add chopped chilis or browned onions. Or, sometimes I will brown some onion right in the hot skillet and sprinkle cornmeal on top of that. When you turn it out upside down on a plate to serve it you have all of that nice browned onion to greet you! Just use enough onion for a shallow layer, a bit as if you were making an upside down cake, not a thick layer. If you dont have an iron skillet...................how the heck do you cook? I have at least four and they get used every day almost without fail, plus an few more. They are so easy to clean with but a swish under the tap while they are still quite warm, a swish of a towel and return to the hot burner or oven for a few minutes. Iron does have to be used frequently for it to be at its best. And, mine is at its best because it does get used daily. Probably the most used equipment in my kitchen. By the way , the best way to reheat a piece of good cornbread is to cut it open and put it down on a hot iron skillet until it gets a bit of toasty to it and gets hot. I heat and prepare many breads of all kinds, just like this. This works very nicely also with making nice crusty pieces of french bread. I use my skillets for almost everything. The stove top is rarely without a skillet sitting on it. If you dont have an iron skillet, it is my personal opinon that you woud be better off with a metal cake pan than with some of these glass baking pans that I see some use. And treat it with the oil and the dry cornmeal on the bottom as if if were an iron skillet. Cornbread goes very nicely with pork....See More- 15 years ago
- 15 years ago
- 15 years ago
- 15 years ago
- 15 years ago
- 15 years ago
- 15 years ago
- 15 years ago
- 15 years ago
- 15 years ago
- 15 years ago
- 15 years ago
- 15 years ago
- 15 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 6 years ago
Related Stories

FEEL-GOOD HOMESimple Pleasures: Get Cozy on a Cold Day
Some things are best when the weather is bad. Heat up some cocoa and join the discussion
Full Story
HOLIDAYS10 Tips for a Calm, Heartfelt Thanksgiving
Go easy on yourself this year and allow some breathing room to enjoy the holiday
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGN16 Scrumptious Eat-In Kitchens and What They Want You to Serve
Whether apple-pie cheerful or champagne sophisticated, these eat-in kitchens offer ideas to salivate over
Full Story
triciae