SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jaxo_gw

Washing machine-friendly comforters?

jaxo
10 years ago

I had a queen size comforter that I got from Walmart about a year ago and I have washed it several times in my large front loading machine with no issues.
I decided I wanted to replace it with something nicer, so I went to a department sore and found a better-looking comforter that I made sure was machine washable. The majority of them were dry-clean only.

I wanted to wash it before using to wash away any of the manufacturing dirt and chemicals before use and noticed it can hardly fit in the washer.
So I put 1/4 of the soap I normally use and set the cycle with extra water and an extra rinse cycle.
I watched it through the window and saw that it didn't shrink down or move much through the cycles. I don't think this is going to be adequate, so I feel like I just wasted $150 on a comforter I'm not going to be able to use. I'm not going to start dragging comforters to a laundromat, so this is now going out with the garbage.

The label saying "machine washable" is not good enough when that description might mean a only commercial machine.
I think the labels should be clearer and say the washing machine needs a minimum of "X capacity" to wash it or "commercial laundry only" if it won't fit in any home-sized washer.

So, what types of nice comforters wash well in a home washing machine and shrink down in the water so they can agitate properly and are also safe to dry in a dryer?

Also, what kind of sheets wash a dry well with minimal wrinkling?
I bought new sheets and pillow cases and washed them separately. They washed and dried fine and easily fit in the machines, but when they came out of the dryer, they were so wrinkled that they looked like they had already been slept on.
Is higher thread count better or worse for wrinkling after washing and drying?

Comments (3)