SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bizzo13

Homemade Frozen Food ...

Bizzo
14 years ago

There have been a lot of posts similar to this one, especially for those preparing meals for elderly or infirm... and I've supplied some ideas for a few... but my slant is just a little different...

First some background, then my question...

I have a 60 mile (one way) commute, so DH is doing most of the dinner prep these days. He's great on the grill... but the rest of his repetoire leans towards bagged salad (ugh), stauffers lasagne, frozen pot pies, fast food... and other highly processed (and high fat) but easy to prepare foods... I love that he cooks during the week. I get home late (between 7 & 8 usually) and I'm tired and hungry, and it's awesome that he has something waiting for me, and he gets a thrill showing me he loves me by having it ready. I'd like to help him prepare more healthy dishes by being his prep cook on the weekend.

To give you an idea of what he is not comfortable with... last night we had London Broil & microwave "baked" potatoes. I had bought some zucchini and summer squash that I wanted grilled with onion... and it stressed him out I think when I requested it... so he asked me to fix it (that is ... slice the squash, chop the onion, throw some spice and EVOO on it and put it in the grill pan for hiome to take outside.) He was fine marinating the London Broil... and microwaving the potatoes (the one time he tried to cook them in the oven took too long...) but the veggies were more than he was confortable with.

so... Long post... here's my question

What can I prep ahead that he doesn't really have to think enough about to defrost... but can pull out of the freezer and into the oven or microwave? And how do we change the instructions for him to POOF it? (the veggies I can prepare ahead and he can microwave... and he did do that the other day with some fresh green beans and bacon I made...)

For example... Meatloaf. He loves Wizard's recipe. Can I make it up, freeze it precooked? In foil? In the loaf pan? How would he prepare it, if he isn't going to take the time to thaw it first (or must he?)

What about chicken pot pie? I've been dying to try Ann T's recipe. DH loves frozen pot pie... Where would I stop and freeze? how would he prepare?

What else?

(yes, I could make some stuff and keep it in the fridge, but there is no guarantee he would cook it before it went bad...)

TIA!!

Comments (11)