SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
twix6

Please provide thoughts on my light layout

twix6
11 years ago

I have been working with the electrician and a person at the supply store to come up with a light layout. Would appreciate any thoughts and suggestions you might have.

The layout is divided in several parts. All cans in the kitchen would be 5 inch ones. Living room, 6 inch.

In the kitchen, the walkway lights 1-5 would be all on one switch (3-way, one switch at the side entrance and one in the bottom left corner, which is a main entry to the kitchen from inside of the house)

The lighting around the island would be together as one unit. A pendant lighting (need to pick the style) would be above the sitting area, and either one can above the sink (No9) or two on each side of the sink. I am thinking two, but wife wants one above the sink where she will be spending a good bit of time. The switch for these would be by the slider and by the entry to the dining room.

This way from any entry point in the room there will be a way to turn some lights, either the perimeter or the island lights. The bad part is the fact that there will not be a single place where all lights would turn off. Should I do the island lights as a 4-way and have another switch by the side entry, that way I can turn everything off as I leave the house?

There will also be some working station cans, the two on each side of the stove would be switched jointly, probably from a switch by the entry to the dining room. Do you think these cans are necessary since there will be under cabinet lights and the main prep area will be around the sink. There will be good bit of lighting under the hood. If I eliminate these working lights (7&8), should then move can No.5 2 feet to the left and put a new can 2 feet to the right from where can 5 is located?

Do you think there is a need for can No6 if there will be cabinet lighting there and having can no1 in proximity since this will not be a main working area? If installed, it would have its own switch. There will be an individual can by the beverage center as well.

Any thoughts on the 5 can layout for the living room area?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County