SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ahess6488_gw

Your thoughts on my kitchen layout (pics)?

ahess6488
9 years ago

Hi Gardenweb,

Longtime lurker and occasional poster (in fact, I posted a layout for another house several years ago and you were all a ton of help).

My wife and I took possession of a semi-detached house yesterday and have started drawing out main floor changes. IâÂÂve posted the whole draft floor plan just for frame of reference as we are mostly focused on the kitchen at the moment. Hoping for your help on that area:

The kitchen space is 13â W x 15â L. There is an obstruction on the south wall that looks like a drywalled-over stack and chimney, we may be able to salvage a few inches there. Our designer's initial suggestion was a long table that was movable in the kitchen...we nixed it in favour of an island with some seating.

Also:

- We are both avid cooks, and my wife an avid baker.

- We donâÂÂt have kids at the moment but theyâÂÂre a few years away (we hope!). Seating for 3-4 is important and we're not so sure we like island bar-style seating vs eat-in. Currently working with the island idea though.

- We have opted for wall oven and cooktop rather than range

- The detached, one-car garage is out the back of the house. We would come in/out from the sliding glass door on that side with large grocery runs, costco, etc.

Questions:

1. First Impressions? Anything jump out at you?

2. WeâÂÂre trying to incorporate a coffee station. Thoughts on placement on south wall vs. northeast corner, as in original plan? We are thinking about traffic flow and going to and from the sink to fill a kettle. We liked the idea of a coffee/drinks area by the backdoor and near the yard as weâÂÂll spend summer time out there. Here's an alternate drawing that shows the coffee station on the south wall instead of northeast:

3. We have 2 full height pantries drawn into the south wall. Each pantry is 32"w and one is 12"d and the other 15"d. This discrepancy is because of the jog in the wall that we think it part of the shared chimney. For those of you have these, how do you use them? Any shots you have of storage inside? Here's a pic also shouwing the coffee station:

3. We like the idea of no (or just a few) upper cabinets because it means you get a bigger window and a more open feeling. I think there will be plenty of storage with the full height sections that upper cabinets aren't necessary. At the same time we donâÂÂt want to go with a ton of open shelving as neither my wife or I would be able to keep it clean (it would need curating). -light on uppers given pantries. suggestions on how to determine what...

Comments (8)