SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lololauren

Help please: what do I put on dining room wall?

lolauren
12 years ago

After over a year in this home, I still haven't found anything to hang on this dining room wall. This is the wall in question:
{{!gwi}}

The large space is definitely throwing me off. Also, I have a hard time finding art I like or expect to like for a long time. Additionally, DH and I have very different preferences for art. He will be ok with anything I choose, but I would like to find something for the space we both enjoy.

My main question is, how large should the wall art be for this wall and would you do multiple pieces or one large piece?

Some dimensions:

* the wall is 11'6"W x 13'4"H

* the top of the entryway/column openings are at 7'8" (this is also the midway point for the windows)

* the table diameter is 57"

My instinct is to fill a rectangular space, centered above the chairs and below the 7'8"H (top of columns.) Thoughts?

Possible projects for that space:

* lower that chandelier (yeah?)

* wrap the inside of the entryways/openings with wood painted white, add white door trim around them, add white wainscoting around the room and around the columns

Additional photos:

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Thanks in advance.

Comments (83)

• chispa
    12 years ago

lolauren, thank you for the details on the table and chairs. I was excited to see the store is in LA ... I can drive there and take a look at the great stuff they have - in person - doing the happy dance!!! lol

From the snow through your windows it looks like you aren't in LA and were brave and ordered online.

• xantippe
    12 years ago

Are you familiar with the blog "Just Beachy"? It's one of the 40 I follow (eek).

Anyway, the blogger has a living room with really high ceilings that remind me of your dining room. In her living room, she created paneling that actually works beautifully with the high ceiling. I never would have thought of that! It really adds drama.

So I thought I would share the link. Alas, she seems to have updated her blog, and now it is messed up! So I am not able to give you a link to the blog.

However, since she is in the process of selling her house, I was able to find a link from the realty site.

Scroll down to the second-to-last picture; it's the one that has this caption: "Living room features 16 foot ceilings and beautiful double height windows , paneled wall and hardwood floors and window seat."

Although, now that I've written all this, I have to tell you that I love the mock-up with the small rectangular pictures a ton (the ones framed in orange).

Here is a link that might be useful: Just Beachy Living Room

• Related Discussions

What to do with ''dining room" - please help!

Q

Comments (6)
    One thing to think about is, what do you need space for in your home? If you have small children, maybe the best use for this room right now is a play room. Then when the kids are older, you could turn it into a dining room/library, where the kids could do homework and surf the web while still under a watchful parental eye. Or you could decide you want a music room. Or turn it into a dining room/library/study right now. If you google "dining room library" you'll get lots of ideas on how to combine the two functions.
    ...See More

Where Do I put my tv and how should I arrange my living room? Help!!

Q

Comments (5)
    Can you return it and get a smaller one? (I admit I think your fireplace wall is lovely and I personally wouldn't ruin it with a television. But I am a tiny minority who has lived without television for almost 30 years.) Is there another room in which to put it, or do you prefer to use this room for watching it?
    ...See More

What to put on a huge blank wall in living room? HELP PLEASE

Q

Comments (14)
    Create a pattern of each of them, in paper close to the green color, then use painters tape to attach the paper in different patterns to see what might work. Here are some ways to try: I like the 1st one with the shelf under it, which might work well with your wall. Pull the sofa out far enough that no one bumps their head on anything.
    ...See More

I cannot get my living room put together. Please help!

Q

Comments (21)
    Here is the link for this rug: https://www.rugsusa.com/rugsusa/rugs/rugs-usa-interspersed-greyscale/Natural/200SSND01A-76096.html A number of rug sites have a visualizer tool that you can use to try out rugs in your space. Rugs.com, RugsUSA.com., esalerugs.com, and there are others. The tool is very easy to use. But even with the visualizer tool, when purchasing rugs online, still best to get smallest size first, to check for color, texture, etc. Do what works best for you. The drop down tv mounts can work well. Nothing wrong with your current setup, though - nor with your curtains, for that matter. But if you decide to keep current rug, just go with different curtains. All depends on what you want to do. Your space. 👍
    ...See More
  • lolauren
    Original Author
    12 years ago

hilltop: thanks for the mock ups! :) I am going to show DH the different size options and see what he says.

chispa: haha at your happy dance! I live in a mostly rural part of WA state (which has been blasted with snow this week.) If I bought locally, it would be from one of very few places (uhh.. Wal Mart?)...... so I purchase online often. :)

• teacats
    12 years ago

Maybe use some of these prints for your wall?

Here is a link that might be useful: art.com -- Samuel Curis art prints

• cattknap
    12 years ago

I love the idea of the prints - love the frameless ones that are shown above - your room has a contemporary vibe to it as do those prints - would not opt for a typical 19th century, matted botantical framed look.

I would add something different to the center - one of those gorgeous sunburst mirrors (Ballard Designs has them in several sizes)...then surround the mirror with prints top, sides and bottom....it is fun to go one step beyond the expected.

• teacats
    12 years ago

Another thought for possible art -- find a wonderful tree in your area -- photograph it and have it printed in black-and-white -- and then mat it and frame it.

Or perhaps photocopy your house plans -- and carefully cut the copies to fit mats and frames.

Or perhaps an old map of the area or local town?

Or an antique map?

Here is a link that might be useful: art.com -- old map of Florence

• loribee
    12 years ago

I love the botanicals idea, wouldn't they look darling in your cute room?? Check out the blog, Back Porch Musings- clever Pat has pretty botanicals hung in her DR.
    I also saw a fun mirror at Walmart, let me hunt and see if I can find it again!

• lascatx
    12 years ago

I just got a catalog from Ballard Designs in the mail and they have several large art prints.

• kitchennovice44
    12 years ago

Another thought: elegant sconces on both sides of the art would showcase it, plus serve as another layer of lighting in room...could be a very soft, romantic effect.

• lolauren
    Original Author
    12 years ago

xantippe: I just now saw your comment....... I love that inspiration photo. thanks. We might put up molding to break the wall up (but still hang art.) I'll think about something similar to what they did.... easy but looks beautiful. :)

lascatx.... I have looked at Ballard. The one piece I like there wouldn't be the right size for the space... (I think?) It's the Storm Over the March giclee. I think it's orientation is opposite of what I need... ?

teacats... I like your ideas. I have some map art in my laundry room already. :) The one grouping I've considered is going through old letters and family documents to get samples of various family members writing/notes. I would copy and enlarge then mat and frame them. The problem is finding all the pieces, but I think it would be something my DH and I would both appreciate having up. I might find the frames/mats and put up botanicals until I have gathered all those writing samples... :)

loribee: I think they would be cute, especially because I like gardening! thanks for the blog suggestion.

• loribee
    12 years ago

I found the Walmart mirror...it's unusually shaped and would look nice on your wall, I think.

Here is a link that might be useful: Harrison Mirror

• arcy_gw
    12 years ago

I think the room needs more to be a ROOM. Since there isn't floor space for furniture/side board/china cabinet I would go with the multiple over one large anything, mirrors, art what ever.

• vsalzmann
    12 years ago

How about this? This is my dining room wall. These used to be spread out on a two-story wall. I had to compress them in new house. I kind of like them better overlapping.

• Sidney4
    12 years ago

Having seen vsalz clock collage on another thread, I was going to suggest her idea as well. I also wonder if there isn't something similar that could be used to make a collage.

• loribee
    12 years ago

Vsalz...amazing wall!

• jab65
    12 years ago

Another vote to add drapery and a rug. If it's too much to have them at all 3 "doorways," what about a set at either end?

• kiki_thinking
    12 years ago

I like botanical prints, but prefer the ones done on black paper. I think they are more striking, and more interesting than the ones on white paper. While looking for an example for you i stumbled across these ones by Mary Delany, who made these in the 1700s out of paper! thought she was really interesting, so jUst ordered a book about her! This is wht i love about the decorating forum!

Here is a link that might be useful: Mary delaney black paper botanicals. Scroll down

• EG3d
    12 years ago

I have a large print that I love. I have used it in every dining room I have had since I bought it. I bought the print and then had it custom framed. The framing is what cost the big bucks.

• ncchateau
    12 years ago

I love the curtains idea! In fact, I may steal the idea for my home.

• upa_lazy_river
    12 years ago

I see your room as a jewel box kind of room. I'd paint it a striking color, do something awesome on the ceiling, maybe a rug under the table, and a great print(s) on the wall.

• lolauren
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for all the extra suggestions! I am out of town currently, but wanted to pop in to say I appreciate the thoughts and ideas.

Quickly.. some of you have suggested a rug. While I agree that it would look cozier/warmer, we have way too much dust in the windy desert here to have one. :(

I am likely going to move forward with the botanical prints idea (I could switch to something larger later if I fall in love with a piece of art...)..... Thanks again, everyone.

• lolauren
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm just adding updated photos. The space is not "done," but I certainly like it better. I imagine we will add casings around the entryways at some point (and maybe wainscoting.)

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

There are some more photos in the linked album.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://s1171.photobucket.com/albums/r546/pizzaflakes/Dining%20room/

• caminnc
    12 years ago

Lo, that looks great! Where did you find the prints?

• lolauren
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks. :)

The botanicals were on Ebay. It must have been fate since they were almost all white flowers and there were 24 prints.

If anyone is doing similar, the mats are from wholesalematboards dot com. I wasn't too sure about that web site, but they sent my custom mats really quickly. It was considerably less money than getting mats cut at Michael's/Hobby Lobby.

• Pipdog
    12 years ago

looks great!

• Olychick
    12 years ago

Very pretty and I am so impressed that they appear to be so perfectly hung. All I could think about with that many pieces would be that any little tilt would make me crazy! How did you hang them?

• anele_gw
    12 years ago

It looks fantastic and thank you for the tip re: the mats.

I've also appreciate all of the ideas on this thread. I have been checking out the links provided and have been overwhelmed (in a good way) with the choices . . .so many neat ideas to pick from.

• lolauren
    Original Author
    12 years ago

olychick: My husband is very precise!

First, we had to take measurements. I wanted the top of the frames to be the same height as the top of my entryways into the room (also same as middle of our windows.) Also, I wanted the bottom frame to be above the backs of our dining chairs.

Once I knew how much room that left me for spacing, we taped a piece of string to make a straight line at the highest point. (Our version of a laser level, I guess. We measured and taped the string at several points on the wall to make sure there was no sagging and used a level to confirm again.)

In the photos, the string is hard to see since it's yellow, but it's there. :)

{{!gwi}}

From there, we found the center point and put the center frame up. Once that row was done, we used the string approach again, this time at the height of the 2nd row of frames...

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Etc.... :)

• nosoccermom
    12 years ago

It looks great! Also love the plant in the corner. What did you use to hang the prints (I'm assuming you have drywall)?

• lolauren
    Original Author
    12 years ago

nosoccermom - just little nails that were in a picture hanging kit.... the frames are very lightweight aluminum and the "glass" is acrylic. I hung four of these frames in another room quickly with thumb tacks.

Linking to the frames...

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.jerrysartarama.com/discount-art-supplies/framing-and-matting/ready-made-metal-frames/ambiance-gallery-aluminum-frames.htm

• bac717
    12 years ago

That turned out FABULOUS! Thanks for the tip on the matboards, too. And I love your substitution for a laser level!

• enailes
    12 years ago

Wow, looks wonderful and serene, love your chandelier too!
    Really excellent job and some great advice.

• lolauren
    Original Author
    12 years ago

thanks, all :) I should thank everyone else for helping me with this one; THANKS. I love this board (also, I just looked back at the photos and had to laugh again at that Arnold photo.) :)

• User
    12 years ago

Very nicely done! With that team work you might substitute large format pic of Ah-nahld with one (or multiples) of DH!

Did you lower the chandelier or does it just look better with the wall decorated?

Anyway, as I said, your room looks nice and I like the flow from your adjoining rooms.

Java

• lolauren
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Java: LOL. :) My DH is a little too shy to appreciate that shrine.

I haven't lowered the chandelier.... I'm still considering it and open to the idea, but I have hesitated because it will partially block the view out those windows. It's already very bright in that room as well.

If people still think I should lower it, let me know.

• User
    12 years ago

In the photos, the chandelier looks much better even though it's higher than the "standard". I first wondered whether it would overpower the table if it were hung lower. Do you know its diameter vs table diameter?

• lolauren
    Original Author
    12 years ago

21" diameter chandelier vs. 57" diameter table

• User
    12 years ago

No, it won't overwhelm the table if you decide to lower it.

• loribee
    12 years ago

Found it! Lauren, they look fabulous! GREAT job!

• gsciencechick
    12 years ago

Wow, everything looks awesome! I don't think it could have turned out any better. It's such a great space.

• msrose
    12 years ago

Lolauren - I love how your pictures turned out!
    Can you tell me what kind of floors you have? Are they dark enough that the dust shows or are they pretty good about hiding "stuff"? I love the rustic charm of them.

• lolauren
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Maybe I should have started a new thread for the "After" photos to make this easier. oh well :)

loribee, gsciencechick, msrose: thank you!

If others have further advice, I'm all ears. I said no to a rug, but I'm keeping my eyes open if one (that looks easily cleanable) really wants to come home with me.

msrose: the floor is a pre-finished, handscraped hickory. With two big dogs, "rustic" was the only direction we were comfortable going with hardwood floors. The floors are from a small company called, "Lewis & Clark." (I think it's only available regionally.)

Yes, the floor IS dark enough to show dust in direct lighting (same with my black countertop... I can't tell it is dusty until the sun is setting and the light hits it just right.) The floors show wet paw prints, when they dry, in any lighting! We have a patio cover that eliminates a lot of the direct lighting in our great room, so I rarely can see the floors are dusty. I would use lighter floors if the rooms had direct lighting all day!

• palimpsest
    12 years ago

I think the prints look great.

If you do curtain panels I would hang the rod in the jamb like portieres, not on one side or the other.

• lolauren
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, palimpsest.

Also, it's nice to now know the word "portieres," so I can google ideas. :)

• citywoman2012
    12 years ago

Your prints are lovely. I love what you did with that room.
    Its not an "everyone has this" wall and that makes it yours.
    Good job.
    Can I say not "everyone has that" DH as well? lol.
    Good job again!

• Olychick
    12 years ago

citywoman, I agree...where is the website where I can find someone like that DH???

• lolauren
    Original Author
    12 years ago

LOL citywoman and olychick :)

Are you saying other DH's don't help with projects like this? (If that is the case, I am even more thankful for him!)

• User
    12 years ago

Lauren - The reason I said you should hang multiple photos of DH is because when I saw what you were doing, my first thought was if I were a DH that would be the most detested decorating task I would want. I think I'd rather go shopping than try to get everything aligned. Plus, if I were the DW, I'd see the results and decide I had designed it all wrong and it needed to be re-hung. Poor Mr. Javachik!

• dex215
    12 years ago

Prints look beautiful . I still would like to see the chandelier lowered, but that's me.

• lolauren
    Original Author
    12 years ago

javachick: I measured really, really (really, really) well. I didn't want to subject DH to doing it twice! :)

dex215: you are saying that just because of how it would look, right?