SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lezstormes

Okay - am I making this more complicated than it needs to be?

Lezli
13 years ago

Wow ... am I ever hoping you folks can help me. The Home Building forum and the Kitchens forum have already been invaluable. And I doubt this is my last visit to you folks over here in Home Decorating .... So thanks in advance for the gift of your time and talents. What awesome generosity of both .... Here goes:

My husband and I are retiring soon and are building our "forever" home. Our finished house plan is below, but basically here's the issue: The living room is 15 by about 14 and open to the kitchen and dining room - all under a vaulted ceiling. Originally, we planned the gas log fireplace centered under the vault leaving just a few inches of dead space to the left, and room for a 66" built-in on the right. However, in the final grueling! cost-cutting, we gave up the $1,000 built-in bookcase (painted white to match the trim), and instead, moved the fireplace slightly off-center of the vault to make room for a 72" wide bookcase that we already own.

Now my DH has bought a 55" (51" wide) LCD TV that he plans to hang above the mantle on the fireplace. The fireplace will be rocked all the way to the vault, and will be 52" wide. Although I've read the numerous discussions about TVs over the fireplace, at this point that's not really the issue. If it needs to go there, we've done it before and are okay with it.

So here are my questions: Will that large a TV look simply awful? DH thinks with the open plan and the vault, it will be fine. So, even if it would look alright, what do you all think about the fireplace not being centered on the vault? Or should we put it back as it was and just wait to add the built-in? Or should the fireplace be centered on that wall with a narrow built-in on each side added later? Or is there a creative solution that will work well and not cost a fortune?

Here are some considerations: It is a small home with few walls. I have not only the bookcase to find a home for, but a mahogany secretary, a bachelor chest, and low-boy that I want to put somewhere in the living room/dining room. We sold everything else except the bedroom furniture, so will purchase a new sofa, ottoman, whatever, etc. Any suggestions for how all of this might work given whatever fireplace/TV scenario you might suggest? My head is swimming at this point .............. Thank you!

Lezli

{{!gwi}}

Here is a link that might be useful: furniture

Comments (18)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!