SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bbmarc

Need to make sure HOA is satisfied with lawn no more than that.

bbmarc
14 years ago

Need to make sure HOA is satisfied with lawn no more than that.

My goal in growing some new grass is to repair my thin lawn to make sure the homeowners association stayes satisfied. They had sighted me a covenant violation because the corner my lawn with a mailbox was dug up by the water company to get to their pipes and I never replanted their. So I was forced to replant that corner. But I like doing as little as possible to my lawn I have not been watering the other parts of my lawn besides the corner where I grew some new grass for years. Miraculously the grasses found what ever low-water grasses was in the previous owners original mixture and stayed good enough to satisfy the homeowners association. But now since the homeowners association may be looking at my lawn of little closer I am thinking of thickening up the rest of my lawn to make sure it stays within the homeowners association minimum requirements. That's all I care about. I never use lawn or care about it for my own self just the homeowners association. So looking at low maintenance grasses seem to me that the native grasses would be too complicated for me to use since they can take years to get going. So I have been looking at Eco-Lawn and Legacy Fine Fescue Grass Seed.

I have seen some videos on YouTube that makes me feel it is coming to crunch time if I am to order grass seed over the Internet and have it here by late August which according to these videos is the next planting opportunity for grass seeding. From what has been said on some of the posts I have read on these forums I am thinking of going with "Legacy Fine Fescue Grass Seed" sold at the site "http://www.outsidepride.com/seed/grass-seed/fescue-grass-seed/legacy-fine-fescue-grass-seed.html."; I am thinking of using this grass seed becuase it is less pricey than Eco-Lawn and I fear I may mess up with anything I try being such a newbie. If anyone who reads this and thinks this is a much lesser grass seed then the Eco-Lawn please tell me now before I order it. Do you think I have it about right for planting this grass as far as timing goes? I mean is late August about right to plant this grass if you live just southeast of Denver Colorado at about elevation 5700 feet. One thing more before ask you detailed questions about planting grass procedures. I have a spot where right next to the driveway in the very front near the mailbox and driveway grass keeps burning out after it's established. The burnout which is in a little brown streek about 3 or 4 inches wide and about 3 and 4 inches right of the driveway happened repeatedly. Once when I planted, what may have bin, Kentucky bluegrass successfully about September 30th then again when replanting seed on my trouble spots about June 30th with grass seed Scotts Turf Buider EZseed , and had it be successful. So I have a trouble spot which I'm hoping to overcome the problems I'm having with it by trying these fescue grasses. Do you think I have a good shot in succeeding this way.

Well there are some very basic questions I have to ask about growing grass since I am such a newbie at growing it and haven't done much work on the lawn for at least 20 years. The website I mentioned above to buy this "Legacy Fine Fescue Grass Seed" is selling on the same page a liquid preparation to get it started called "LazyMan Liquid Gold" which they say about on a link that tells you more about it the following "LazyMan Liquid Gold lawn aerator, dethatcher and conditioner is a 3-in-1 easy apply spray-on liquid application to aerate, dethatch, and condition your turf and soil." Well is this necessary and if necessary available in itself or its equivalent in big-box stores so I could avoid having it shipped to me. Will I also need fertilizer in addition to this "LazyMan Liquid Gold." Another question is does over seed in means seeding not just over old grass, but with more seed then you would use if planting a new. Still another question is how do I use my grass spreader which I haven't used for 20 years. It has a crank , a compartment where you put the seed in, a trigger button, and 5 numbers next to this trigger button which is some sort of 5 position control. It is called the EZ Handspreader with its little spinning thing that spins out the seed. How high do I hold it? How fast do I crank it? What setting do I put it on? For this particular seed I am thinking of buying? Or how would I find this out if you do not know? Well I have just ask a lot I know. So I would certainly appreciate it is someone here could take the time to answer.

Comments (9)