SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ccaggiano_gw

Okay - I'll admit - I am an idiot....

ccaggiano
14 years ago

So I made a double batch of Annie's Salsa tonight. But made a few substitutions along the way. Not by choice, but because, stupid me, I didn't have everything on hand.

So this is what happened...

First, I didn't have enough onions. Instead of the five that a double batch would call for, I only used four. I am thinking, no big deal. Less low-acid veggies and the recipe is still safe.

Next, I only had one 16 ounce can of tomato paste. So I used that and added an extra can of tomato sauce. I am not sure how much more acidic tomato paste is than tomato sauce. But according to the recipe, the paste and sauce is added for flavor and consistency and doesn't affect the acidity. So at that point, I still figured I was safe.

Next, I normally use a mixture of lemon and lime juice to equal parts of cider vinegar. I ran short on the lemon and lime juice. Only came out with 1/2 a cup so I added 1 1/2 cups of cider vinegar to make up the acid.

After tasting, it was way too cider vinegary so I squeezed some fresh lime's and lemon in it. I still had the required acid. And figured I was just adding a little more acid so again, I was still safe.

Well, after that move, the lime and lemon taste overbearing. So I added two more cans of tomato sauce. And now, it tastes good.

Do you think this is still safe???

In a nutshell, I left out a cup of onions and 16 ounces of tomato paste. I added an extra 48 ounces of tomato sauce. Also added some fresh lemon and lime juice.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting