SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kayec28

questions for those who've painted their furniture...

kayec28
13 years ago

Do you have a favorite never-fail paint color for furniture? I'm considering white,off white or light gray but I'm open to any and all suggestions. My decor is black and white so I can go in any direction. Also, do you have a special technique for finishing the paint job to give it some oomph? For example, I read a blog that talked about a product called Rottenstone, which gives the piece an aged look,and in a DIY article I read,the lady rubbed the painted furniture with a product whose name I can't remember to "dirty it up" some. Do any of you bother with that kind of finishing technique?

Also, do you ever feel guilty for painting your furniture? I'm not talking about cheap wood, or a 10.00 chair you bought on Craigslist, but if you bought, say, a mahogany secretary or other quality wood furniture, would you feel any guilt about painting over it? Can it be undone if it was a mistake?

My house is kind of a blank slate right now, but it's a mid-century ranch, so I envision teak and other golden-brown woods in the space. However,I just bought a mahogany cabinet at an estate sale because it was a good size, good storage and I liked the elegant trim details, but the dark mahogany doesn't really go with my vision of my house. I can't help feeling that I'm ruining a high quality piece of furniture if I paint it. Any thoughts?

Comments (9)