SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
leafy02

Chalk paint questions... giant hunk of furniture needs un-uglied.

leafy02
11 years ago

I have a long 1970's credenza that our TV and CD player stand on in our TV room. It is in great shape and as solid as a piece of furniture can be--it weighs about 27,000 pounds. I like it because it is so solid and because it holds a lot of stuff I don't ever want to look at--like DH's collection of DVDs featuring the likes of Linda

Ronstadt and Tony Orlando and Dawn.

So, it's great, but. . . it has an unattractrive faux walnut (?) finish that was common in the late 70's/early 80's. Plus, it's brown and I am trying to un-brown the room.

I think it would look great painted cream, but there are lots of curves and nooks & crannies involved in the doors, and the idea of sanding the whole behemoth is just overwhelming.

Today I thought about chalk paint. I've read that you don't need to prime--does that mean I wouldn't have to sand this piece, either?

And one more question: I do not want it to have a chippy or sanded/distressed look. Flat, even cream with a wax coating is fine. Is it possible to get a smooth, even layer of color with chalk paint? It seems all the projects I've seen done with it on blogs are supposed to look distressed and that's not the look for this room.

TIA to anyone who can offer advice!

Comments (29)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz