SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
teresa_nc7

One pot recipes?

teresa_nc7
14 years ago

Maybe some of you are trying to simply your life and meal prep like I am? I'm looking for some easy one pot recipes that can be cooked in a skillet, Le Creuset French oven, wok/stir fry pan, pressure cooker, or baking dish/casserole. One pot is all that is needed, no "serve over cooked rice/pasta" but a starch plus some vegetables are included. On the weekends I have more time to cook at my leisure and enjoy it.

I rediscovered this recipe the other night and made it (adjusting the amounts for 2 servings) and had enough for one dinner and one lunch.

Basque Chicken and Rice - serves 4-6

2 TB olive oil

8 pieces of chicken (I used thighs, no skin, bone in)

3 cloves garlic, minced or grated

1 medium onion, chopped

1/2 green bell pepper, chopped

opt. small jar of strips of pimento

opt. 1/2 cup halved olives

2 cups rice (I used the yellow rice package)

4 cups chicken broth

1 bay leaf

salt and pepper

opt. pinch of saffron

opt. pinch of smoked paprika

Heat a large saucepan or Le Creuset French oven on the stove top, add oil, saute chicken pieces until browned, remove to a platter. Add garlic, onion, bell pepper and saute until onion is transparent. Deglaze pan with about 1/4 cup water. Return chicken to the pot and add rest. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce to a simmer. Cook 25 minutes or until rice is tender.

Source: Frugal Gourmet's Our Immigrant Ancestors cookbook

Thanks for any recipes you can share!

Teresa

Comments (19)

• lpinkmountain
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Simplicty, now you're talking my language. One pot stews are one of my specialties.

Bean Cornbread Casserole (crockpot recipe but could probably be made in a dutch oven)
    (posted by alicesRestaurant on the Vegetarian Forum)
    It's vegetarian but you could add ground beef. I would brown it first but I guess it is not necessary if it cooks in the stew in the crockpot. Can't help you there, I add Morningstar Farms vegetarian crumbles if I think a dish needs more protein.

Serves 6

I med. onion, chopped
    1 med. green pepper, chopped (can be roasted, which is what I would advise, I buy them canned)
    2 cloves garlic, minced, or 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
    1 16 oz. can red kidney beans, undrained
    1 16 oz. can pinto beans, undrained (I am not a pinto bean fan in chili, I would use black beans)
    1 16 oz. can diced tomatoes, undrained
    1 18 oz. can tomato sauce (NOT with italian seasoning)
    1 tsp. chili powder
    1/2 tsp. black pepper
    1/2 tsp. prepared mustard (I use Dijon)
    1/8 tsp. hot sauce (use chopped jalepeno if you have it instead, one or two depending on how hot you like things)

1 cup yellow cornmeal
    1 cup all purpose flour
    2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1 TBLSP sugar
    1 1/4 cup milk (can use lowfat or soy milk)
    2 eggs beaten
    3 TBLSP vegetable oil
    1 8.5 oz can cream style corn

Lightly grease the crockpot. In a skillet over med. heat, cook onion and greed bell pepper (and jalepenos if you are using) until tender. Transfer to the crockpot. (LR's note: I have made this without sauteeing first, just throwing the veggies in the crockpot. It improves the flavor to sautee, but is not necessary. You could also make this in a dutch oven and sautee the stuff first and just leave it in the dutch oven and then add the rest of the stuff.

Stir in the beans and tomatoes and tomato sauce and the rest of the seasonings. Cover and cook on HIGH for 1 hour (or 6-8 hours on low)

In a mixing bowl, comine the cornbread ingredients. The way I do it to just use one bowl is combine the wet ing. first and then stir in the dry. Spoon evenly over the bean mixture and cover and cook for 1 1/2 - 2 hours on high. If you are cooking it in a crockpot on low, give the stew time to reach the high temp. It may only take one hour on high, different crockpots have different temperature variations. Same deal if making in a dutch oven.

Serve, with some grated cheese on the side if you want to be decadent.

Below is another great one, skillet gnocci and beans. You don't have to take the gnocci out like it says in the directions, in fact it is better if you leave them in and cook with the water. Can add pancetta or chopped cooked ham if you need meat.

Here is a link that might be useful: Skillet gnocci with chard from

• gardenguru1950
    14 years ago

JAMBALAYA WITH SHRIMP, CHICKEN AND HAM

Serves 6-8

Ingredients

3/4 pound skinned and boned chicken thighs,
    cut into 1-inch cubes
    3/4 pound skinned and boned chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
    1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
    2 tablespoons vegetable oil
    1/2 pound cooked ham, cut into -inch cubes
    2 medium-size yellow onions, chopped (about 2 cups)
    1 large green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
    1 1/2 ribs celery, chopped (about 1 cup)
    4 cloves garlic
    1 16-ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained
    3 cups chicken broth
    2 pounds medium-size (16-20) fresh shrimp, peeled and de-veined
    1/2 cup chopped green onion tops
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
    1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
    2 cups uncooked long-grain rice, rinsed and drained

Directions

Sprinkle chicken evenly with salt and ground peppers.

Cook chicken in hot oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat 8 to 10 minutes or until brown on all sides. Remove chicken with a slotted spoon to a large bowl.

Add ham to Dutch oven and cook, stirring constantly, 5 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove ham and set with chicken; set aside.

Add onions and next 3 ingredients to Dutch oven and cook 5 minutes, stirring to loosen any browned bits.

ContinuedÂ

Drain tomatoes, reserving liquid. Stir reserved liquid and chicken broth into Dutch oven. Add chicken and ham; cover and cook over low heat 45 minutes.

Mash cooked garlic against side of Dutch oven, and blend into the mixture.

Add shrimp, green onions and remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to medium low; simmer, stirring occasionally, 25 minutes or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed.

Joe

• Related Discussions

Recipe of the day January 21- Another crock pot recipe!

Q

Comments (3)
    I posted one at the recipe exchange for Chicken & dumplins, it was great.
    ...See More

RECIPE: Looking fot Crock Pot recipes

Q

Comments (4)
    ITALIAN BEEF One 3-4 lb roast beef (rump roast or sirloin tip) 1 jar pepperochini peppers, juice & all 1 can beer 1 can beef bouillon Combine all ingredients in a large crockpot. Cook on high 30 minutes; reduce heat to low. Cook until beef is tender. For supper, start cooking before work. If you want it for luch cook at bedtime.) Remove meat from juices, slice thinly & return to pot. Serve on hoagie buns & dip sandwiches in juice.~~ CROCKPOT FRENCH DIP SANDWICHES 2 cups water 1/2 cup soy sauce 4 whole peppercorns 1 tsp dried rosemary 1 tsp dried thyme 1 bay leaf 1 tsp garlic powder (had none so used 1 minced garlic clove) 3 lb boneless beef chuck roast, trimmed 8 French or sourdough rolls, split Combine water, soy sauce, peppercorns, rosemay, thym & garlic in a slow cooker, stirring until wel blended. Place rost in cooker & cover. Cook on high for 5-6 hours or until beef is tender. Remove meat from broth & shred with a fork. Serve beef on rolls. Pour broth in small bowls for dipping.~~ Good topped with Swiss cheese or sauteed onions, peppers or both. I like mustard on the rolls, too.~~
    ...See More

RECIPE: You'll love this one-ingredient appetizer recipe!

Q

Comments (12)
    I think I'll use up some of the parchment paper on these. I love the idea of using the rolling pin. Years ago I saw a picture in a magazine of tuiles that were cut in leaf shapes and draped over glasses and bottles and other things as they cooled, so that they looked like fallen autumn leaves. Spectacular! But anything involving cheese will be better.
    ...See More

RECIPE: I bought a big crock pot...recipes???????

Q

Comments (11)
    Beef roast- 3-4 lb beef arm roast- for tenderness 3 cups water 1 medium chopped into slices yellow-and or- red onion 1 packet dry onion soup mix 1 small bag of baby carrots 5 white round potatoes chopped into cubes whit skins on-explain later 1 can of drained mushrooms(or 2 depending on how much you like them) 2 tbsp salt pepper seasoned to taste 2 tablespoon garlic powder- or you can replace salt with garlic salt 2-3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil basil,oregano,and any other of your favorite seasonings In crockpot mix together 2 cups water, half packet of onion soup mix, salt and pepper and any other seasonings. Put crockpot on high and let soup warm while we move to the next step Have a large skillet- big enough for the roast- place on stove with olive oil and turn stovetop to medium- let this heat up while your seasoning the beef First cut the beef roast in halves. Blot dry with a paper towel.. next take a knife and make slits in the beef against the grain all the way across just enough to score it for seasonings. season the beef the with the seasonings from above.. Braize the beef for about 5-8 minutes on each and everyside of the beef- until it has a nice brown coat. Once browned use a knife to poke slits through the beef to help the flavors cook through. Next step place the browned beef in the crockpot and put crock pot to either A) medium (will take apprx. 6-8 hours) B) leave it on high (apprx. 4-5 hours) Next in the skillet you had braized the beef in, add your potatoes, carrots, 1 cup water, the rest of the onion soup mix, the chopped onions, mushrooms as well as any seasonigs you desire leave skillet on medium and let simmer while coverd for apprx. 10 -15. This is why you leave the skins on the potatoes, it allows the potatoes to get soft yet the skin keeps them intact as they dont crumble..... yet. Once that has simmered simply pour into your crockpot. cooked for the alotted time. The roast and potatoes will be melt in your mouth, and with the onion/beef gravy on top will be flavorfull.
    ...See More
  • lpinkmountain
    14 years ago

That link should read "from Eating Well Web site."

I have a lot of one pot meals I make during the week, but I usually have cooked rice to add that I have made over the weekend. I freeze it too, so I will have it to throw in. Then I can always throw together beans and greens over rice or mexican style rice and beans. Also stir fry, which I do now by using the frozen stir fry vegetable mixes as my base.

Here's another one from my "to try" file, it comes from the back of the box of San Giorgio ditalinni.

Super skillet side dish (which for me could become a main course with an added can of canelinni beans. I imagine you could sautee pieces of boneless chicken breast with the onions too, but it's just vegetarian me's best guess. Also maybe throw in cooked ham.)

2 TBLSP olive oil
    1 cup sliced green onion
    1/2 cup chopped green pepper
    2 1/2 cups water
    2 chicken bouillon cubes (or veggie ones)
    1/2 tsp. garlic powder
    1 cup (6 oz.) Acini di Pepe, uncooked
    1/4 cup (2 oz jar) chopped pimento (I don't like pimiento so I'd probably use roasted red pepper)

In large skillet, heat oil and saute onion and green pepper until tender. Add water, bouillon, and garlic powder; bring to a boil. Stir in uncooked pasta and pimiento; return to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered 10 minutes or until pasta is tender. Makes 4-6 servings.

• triciae
    14 years ago

This one, from RR, has become a Go-To staple in our house.

QUICK & EASY SHRIMP PASTA

Quick & Easy Shrimp Pasta

Rachael Ray

3 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
    2 Tablespoons anchovy paste
    6 Cloves garlic, chopped
    1 Teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
    2 Stems oregano, leaves stripped and finely chopped
    A generous handful flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
    1 Cup dry white wine
    3 Tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces
    1 Quart chicken stock
    2 Cups water
    2 1/2 pounds large shrimp , peeled and deveined
    1 Pound linguini
    1 Juice of one lemon
    1 Cup basil leaves, about 20, torn
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper
    Crusty bread , torn into pieces

Sweat onion in EVOO. Add the anchovy & cook until softened. Add minced garlic, red pepper flakes, & thyme, saute for a couple minutes.

Add the wine, broth, & water. Bring to a boil. Add pasta. When the liquid is about half absorbed...add shrimp. Cook until shrimp & pasta are done. When the liquid is absorbed & the shrimp are done...remove from heat & add the butter, parsley, basil, & lemon juice. Stir to combine.

Do not drain.

To serve, place crusty bread chunks in pasta bowl & pour linguini/shrimp on top. I serve with a green salad.

/tricia

• ruthanna_gw
    14 years ago

TUNA-SPINACH FRITTATA

2 Tbs. butter or margarine
    1/2 cup chopped onion
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1 box frozen chopped spinach, defrosted and squeezed dry *
    3 cups cooked rice (1 cup uncooked)
    1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
    1 (6 oz.) can tuna, drained and flaked
    4 eggs, slightly beaten
    1/2 cup milk
    1 tsp. salt
    1/4 tsp. pepper
    1 cup shredded Mozzarella cheese

Melt butter in large saucepan. Add onion and garlic and saute over medium heat until soft but not browned. Remove pan from heat and add spinach, rice and Parmesan cheese and mix well. ##At this point, mixture can be refrigerated for a day or two and finished up on another day.

Mix tuna into rice mixture. Mix together eggs, milk, salt and pepper. Pour over rice mixture and gently stir to blend. Turn into a greased 9 inch square or shallow 2 quart baking dish. Top with Mozzarella cheese. Bake in 350 degree oven for 30 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes and then slice into squares or wedges to serve.

* Note: 1 lb. fresh spinach, cooked, chopped and well-drained (about 1 1/ 2 cups) can be substituted for the frozen spinach.

• hawk307
    14 years ago

Teresa;:
    One of the Staples in Italian Food is " Pasta Ceci "

Ceci is also called Chick Peas and Garbanzo Beans.

I made some today , it is very easy. I think You Know !!!

Took a 14 oz. can of Chick peas and drained the can into a small pot,
    added 1/4 cup of Tomatoe source.
    EG. Puree, Crushed Tomatoes etc. I used Tomatoe juice.

In the meantime put on a pot of water for a little less than 1/2 lb. of Spaghetti.
    Cook the spaghetti and drain it, while you are doing the other things.

To the pot with tomatoes.Put in your favorite Spices.

I added a table spoon of Garlic Powder ( you can use chopped Garlic Cloves ).
    2 Bay Leaves
    1/2 cup of water + 1 tablespoon of Chicken Soup Base.
    1/2 of a Chopped Sm. Onion ( nuked for 2 min.In the Micro )
    Simmer for about 15 minutes or until the Onion is soft.

Add the Ceci and simmer for 10 minutes.
    Add 2 tablespoons of Parmrsan Cheese, Stir.

Thicken with a Powdered Chicken Gravy mix.

Give it a taste test, add whatever you may thing it needs.

Garlic or Onion Powder, salt, etc.?

Mix in the cooked Spaghetti. Sprinkle on some more Parmesan.

There are many variations to this recipe
    Use your imagination.
    I'll Post this in WFD.
    LOU

It was good !!!

• lpinkmountain
    14 years ago

This is a vegetarian curry from Mark Bittman's "How to Cook Everything Vegetarian." Really needs a salad and some nan to round out the meal, but it is super easy.

Lentils and Potatoes with Curry
    (Can be doubled because it apparently freezes well)
    Can use yellow or green split peas instead of lentils.

1 cup dried brown lentils, washed and picked over
    3 1/2 cups water, broth or coconut milk (use 1 can, coconut milk, slightly less than 2 cups, with a little water or veg. broth. I use lite coconut milk.)
    1 TBLSP mild curry powder
    2 med. russet potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper
    Yogurt and chutney for garnish
    Minced fresh cilantro leaves (or parsely if you don't like cilantro)

Combine the lentils, liquid and curry powder in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil over med. high heat. Turn the heat down to med. low so that the mixture bubbles gently. Cover partially, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the lentils start to absorb water a bit, about 15 min.

Add the potatoes and cover the pan completely. Cook, undisturbed for 10 min. or so, then stir gently and check to make sure the lentils aren't too dry and nothing is burning on the bottom. If so, add more liquid. Add salt as the lentils become tender.

Cover and continue cooking until the lentils are soft and beginning to turn to mush and the potatoes are tender at the center, another 5-10 minutes, add liquid as necessary. Mixture should be moist but not soupy. Add lots of black pepper, then taste and adjust the seasoning and serve, garnished with yogurt and chutney if desired, and cilantro. Can add 2 TBLSP butter at the end for a richer taste.

Lpink's note: I added chopped frozen spinach to this, for color, added nutrition and some bitter contrast to the sweet starchy potato and lentil. You could add broccoli if you don't like spinach, but I don't think it would be as good.

• hawk307
    14 years ago

Pinky :
    I do the Lentils often and use the Chicken Broth.
    sometimes I'll add small pieces of Ham instead.
    My wife made this a lot , because it was mentioned in the Bible ??? I don't know why or where.

Teresa :
    Don't forget the Omelet's ??? There are many different
    variations.
    Good for getting rid of Leftovers.

Your recipe is almost like I make Chicken Cacciatore.
    Put in less Broth and add some Crushed Tomatoes.
    Throw some Mushrooms in about 10 min. before it is done.

I think they stole the Recipe from Mr. Cacciatore. lol
    LOU

I have to add a little Broth to this and mushrooms.

Stir Fries are a fast meal.

{{gwi:1537100}}

• teresa_nc7
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Are those potato wedges in with the chicken, Lou? That dish looks very tasty! I can't see the final photo.

Yes, I do love a quick stir fry, but I'm looking to try some new recipes. Can you tell me what is in the chicken dish? Thanks!

Teresa

• hawk307
    14 years ago

Teresa:
    Yes they are Potatoe wedges but leave them out,

If you want to serve it over Spaghetti, use a large can of Crushed Tomato's. Leave out the Rice.

You can use your Basque Chicken recipe.( green peppers optional)
    Add 1/4 cup of dry Red Wine and some Parsley flakes
    Thin with Chicken Broth to the right consistancy.
    Cook til the Chicken is tender, at least 45 minutes.

I'll try to find the Stir Fries photo ?

Lou

• hawk307
    14 years ago

Teresa:
    All I could find is the Shrimp Stir fries.
    I buy the frozen Shrimp Stir Fries but you need a magnifying glass to see the Shrimp.

So I buy the Precooked Shrimp put them in a Small pot with enough water to cover the Shrimp.
    Add Cooter rub, Garlic Powder, some Bay seasoning, just bring them to a boil,
    take them off the Range and let sit for a couple minutes.

While the Veggies are stir frying , I add Butter, a pinch of Cooter Rub, Garlic Powder, etc.
    When done Mix everything together with the Sauce that comes with the Stir fries.
    Think about dessert while you are eating this.
    {{gwi:1524455}}

Chicken Fettucini cooked similar to Caccitori with Sausage.

- - - - - - - - -

Another fast meal is "Aglio e Olio w. Red Peppers "

Hi Everyone: I did the Red bell Pepper thing again tonight .
    I simmered Roasted sliced Red Bell Peppers and 5 Garlic cloves chopped, in 1/4 cup of Olive Oil.

Loaded it with Chopped Parsley, Basil Flakes ( the top fell off, so I added a little more Basil ) pinch of Oregano, onion powder , Black pepper and a pinch of ground red pepper.

Meanwhile , I cooked 1/2 pound of spaghetti #9, drained it and put the Red Pepper mess on this and mixed it.
    While the spaghetti was hot, I beat an egg in 1/2 cup of warm water with 1 teaspoon of Chicken Soup Base and dumped this on top and mixed it good,
    this makes asort of sauce.
    Add some grated Parmesan Cheese and salt to taste. Added more Cheese when served.
    It was delicious!!!!!!!!! You have to try it.
    LOU

• Terrapots
    14 years ago

Good timing, I had just dug these out of my clippings to make life a bit easier.

IMPOSSIBLE QUESADILLA PIE
    2 (4 oz) cans chopped green chilies, drained
    4 cups shredded cheddar cheese
    2 cups milk
    1 cup Bisquick
    4 eggs

Heat oven to 425 degrees F. Grease a 10-inch pie plate. Sprinkle chiles and cheese into plate.

Beat remaining ingredients until smooth, 15 seconds in blender on high or 1 minute with hand beater.
    Pour into plate. Bake until knife inserted between center and edge comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes.
    Cool 10 minutes.

Serve with sour cream and guacamole, if desired.

Yield: 6-8 servings

CHILE CHEESE CASSEROLE

4 eggs
    ¼ cup flour
    ½ tsp baking powder
    1 ½ tsp dry mustard
    1 cup cottage cheese
    1 cup shredded jack cheese
    1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
    3 chopped peeled green chiles
    1 16-ounce package frozen hash browns
    Shaker of paprika -- dust top of casserole just before puttin in oven.

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Spray a small casserole dish with vegetable oil spray, 7-8 inches square or round. Line the pan with ½ inch layer of potatoes. Beat eggs. Add dry ingredients and beat well. Blend in remaining ingredients. Batter will be lumpy. Pour in dish and bake 25-30 minutes.

If you double the recipe, use a 9 x 13-inch pan. Check for doneness with a clean, sharp knife blade. The blade should come clean when inserted in the middle. Top should be lightly browned, edges starting to pull away from pan.

Serves 4 Hacienda Antigua Bed & Breakfast

TEX-MEX CHORIZO STRATA

3 pounds chorizo sausage
    2 green bell peppers, diced
    2 medium onions, diced
    1 small can diced green chilies
    4 cloves garlic, chopped
    4 slices Texas toast, grilled
    2 cups grated cheddar cheese
    2 cups grated Monterey jack cheese
    12 eggs, beaten
    2 cups half & half
    Garnishes: salsa, sour cream, chopped scallions

Brown chorizo sausage in 10 inch iron skillet. Remove sausage from pan, draining all but 2 Tbsp grease. Saute green peppers, onion, chilies and garlic in skillet; remove from pan.

Place Texas toast in bottom of skillet, layer vegetables and chorizo sausage over bread, and top with grated cheeses. Beat eggs and half&half together. Pour into skillet covering all ingredients.

Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour or until firm. Allow to cool 30 minutes. Slice into 8 wedges. Garnish with salsa, sour cream and chopped scallions.

Jim Plymale, chef at Buddys Bar & Grill, Lexington, KY

TURKEY-WILD RICE STEW from 1001 Delicious Recipes for People with Diabetes

1 pound boneless, skinless turkey breast, cut into ½ inch cubes
    1 tsp olive oil
    1 onion, chopped
    3 cups reduced sodium fat-free chicken broth
    ½ cup wild rice
    2 carrots, thinly sliced
    2 cups chopped broccoli florets
    1 Tbsp chopped fresh or 1 tsp dried sage leaves
    Salt & pepper to taste

Saute turkey in oil in large saucepan until lightly browned. Add onion and cook until tender. Stir in broth, wild rice and carrots. Heat to boiling, reduce heat and simmer, covered, until rice is tender, about 45 minutes.

Stir in broccoli and sage, simmer until broccoli is tender, about 5 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Serves 4

Spinach Pie -- Family Favorite recipe posted by Amy in the GWCF

1 16 oz package frozen, chopped spinach (no need to thaw if in a bag just bang to break it up. The boxed spinach needs to be thawed and drained)
    2 cups raw rice
    4 cups liquid -- all milk or milk/water mixed, can use chicken broth, if desired
    8-12 oz. shredded cheddar cheese
    2 eggs, beaten
    Salt and pepper to taste - add a least a bit of salt or it will be flat.

Mix all ingredients in casserole dish and bake at 350-375 for 1 hour and 15-20 minutes.

• canarybird01
    14 years ago

Teresa here's one from my recipe file which I haven't tried but it sounds good and easy:

Lentil and Garlic Sausage Stew
    (Recipe from "Soups, Stews and One-Pot Meals" by Tom Valenti and Andrew Friedman)

1 tablespoon olive oil
    2 1/2 pounds garlic sausage, cut on the bias into 1/2-inch pieces, casing removed (see note)
    1 medium Spanish onion, peeled and cut into small dice
    2 stalks celery, cut into small dice
    1 large carrot, peeled and cut into small dice
    6 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced
    1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for serving
    17 1/2-ounce package French green lentils
    1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
    1 bay leaf
    Coarse salt
    Freshly ground black pepper

About 1 1/2 quarts store-bought reduced-sodium chicken broth or homemade chicken stock

Heat the olive oil in a large, heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat. Add the sausage and brown on both sides in batches, 7 to 8 minutes per batch, transferring them to a plate as they are browned.

Leave the fat in the pan. Add the onion, celery, carrot and garlic, and cook, stirring, until softened but not browned, about 5 minutes. Add the extra-virgin olive oil and lentils, stir well, and then add the thyme, bay leaf, 2 tablespoons salt, and 1 1/2 teaspoons pepper. Add just enough broth to cover, about 1 quart. Bring to a boil over high heat, then lower the heat and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes.

Add 2 more cups broth and return the sausage to the pot. Simmer for about 1 hour, or until the lentils are al dente and the sausage is cooked through. If not servings immediately, let cool, cover, and refrigerate for a few days, or freeze for up to 1 month. Reheat before proceeding.

To serve, ladle some stew into each of 8 warm bowls and drizzle each serving with extra-virgin olive oil.

Makes 8 servings.

Note: Seek out a "saucisson a lail" or garlic sausage, which looks uncooked though its not. If this is difficult to find, substitute your favorite sausage or kielbasa, as long as you select a relatively soft one that resembles bologna more than salami.

(Recipe from "Soups, Stews, and One-Pot Meals" by Tom Valenti and Andrew Friedman; Scribner, 2004)

SharonCb

• canarybird01
    14 years ago

I forgot to add this one which is a very popular local dish in Canarias.

PUCHERO - Canary Island Stew

Ingredients may vary according to the cook. Here is one recipe:

1/2 lb chickpeas
    1 lb beef
    1 lb pork
    2 chicken drumsticks
    2 lbs cabbage
    1/2 lb pumpkin or orange squash
    1 small zucchini
    1/2 lb French green beans
    1 fresh corncob
    1 sweet potato
    2 lbs potatoes
    2 or 3 small, firm pears
    1 onion
    1 or 2 carrots
    1 head garlic
    1 leek
    1 tomato
    saffron, thyme and salt

1) Soak the chickpeas in water overnight.

2) Drain and put in a large saucepan with the meat and cover well with water.

3) Put the thyme, garlic, saffron and salt in a mortar and pound together.

4) Chop the leek, onion and tomato and add to the saucepan, together with the thyme, saffron, salt & garlic mixture.

5) When these ingredients are cooked, add the remaining vegetables, cut in large pieces, with the exception of the French beans which are left whole and tied together with string.

6) Simmer until all ingredients are tender.

7) Serve drained vegetables. The stock may be used to prepare a soup.

Source: 'The Best of Canary Island Cookery'
    Centro de la Cultura Popular Canaria

SharonCb

• pat_t
    14 years ago

Teresa, I googled "one pot meals" and found some really interesting recipes and sites. I've put this recipe in my to-try soon file:

ONE-POT CHICKEN SATAY

While satay is traditionally broiled or grilled, this Glorious One-Pot Meal version retains all the flavor yet skips the hassle of threading skewers, basting, and hovering over a grill.

Canola oil spray or sesame oil
    1 scallion, white and green parts, sliced into thin rings
    2 Tblsp. peanut butter
    2 Tblsp. soy sauce
    1 Tblsp. brown sugar
    1 Tblsp. grated fresh ginger, or 1/4 tsp. dried
    1 to 2 garlic cloves, chopped
    1 cup broth (chicken or vegetable)
    1 cup white rice or parboiled instant brown rice
    1/2 to 3/4 lb. chicken thighs or breasts
    1/4 head purple cabbage, thinly sliced/shredded
    About 2 cups fresh or frozen snow pea pods
    1 to 3 large shitake mushrooms, thinly sliced

Preheat oven to 450° F.
    Coat the inside and lid of a cast iron Dutch oven with canola oil or sesame oil.
    In a small bowl, whisk the scallion, peanut butter, soy sauce, brown sugar, ginger, garlic, and 2 Tblsp. of the broth. Whisk until the sugar is dissolved and peanut butter is emulsified.
    Rinse the rice in a strainer under cold water until the water runs clear. Tip the rice into the pot. Add the remaining broth and 1/4 cup water and stir to make an even layer.
    Add the chicken and drizzle with one-third of the peanut butter sauce.
    Arrange the cabbage on top and pour half of the remaining sauce over it.
    Add the snow peas and mushroom slices in another layer and pour the rest of the sauce over all.
    Cover and bake for 45 minutes, or until 3 minutes after the aroma of a fully cooked meal escapes the oven. Serve immediately. If the rice is still crunchy, fluff with a fork and replace the lid for another 3 to 5 minutes before serving.

Recipe from Gloriouspotmeal.com

• JoanM
    14 years ago

This is one of my favorites from Rachael Ray. Stoup = thicker than a soup but thinner than a stew.

Smoky Sweet Potato Chicken Stoup
    Rachael Ray

2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
    2 medium carrots, peeled
    2 ribs celery
    1 large onion, peeled and halved
    2 cloves garlic, chopped
    1 to 2 chipotle chili in adobo, finely chopped, plus a spoon of sauce from the can
    Salt and black pepper
    1 teaspoon dry thyme, eyeball it
    1 bay leaf
    1 cup dry white wine, eyeball it
    5 cups chicken stock
    1 large sweet potato
    3/4 to 1 pound chicken tenders, cut into bite size pieces
    4 scallions, white and green parts thinly sliced
    1/4 cup cilantro leaves, a generous handful, roughly chopped
    1/2 cup sour cream, for garnish, optional

Heat a soup pot over medium-high heat with 2 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil, about 2 turns of the pan.

While soup pot heats, chop carrots in half lengthwise then slice into thin half moons. Add the carrots to the pot while it heats, stirring to coat the carrots in the oil. Chop and drop in celery and onion, chopping as small as you can, but don't make yourself crazy.. Add the garlic, chipotle, and adobo sauce and stir to combine. Season the veggies with salt, pepper, thyme, and bay leaf. Cook the veggies together 1 minute. Add the wine and reduce a minute. Add the stock to the pot, cover the pot, and raise heat to high. Bring the stoup to a boil, remove the cover, and simmer for 10 minutes.

Peel and cut the sweet potatoes into quarters lengthwise, then thinly slice into bite size pieces. Add the cut chicken and sweet potatoes and simmer 5 minutes until sweet potatoes are tender and chicken is cooked through. Turn the heat off and add the scallions and cilantro. Serve each portion of stoup with a dollop of sour cream on top.

• jessyf
    14 years ago

I have leftover chicken (why oh why do we rotisserie two chickens when I know one will be enough, even when my in-laws come over?)

I'm using this thread to flesh out (excuse the pun) what I'll be throwing into the Lodge pot for white chicken chili - feel free to add to it. This is LindaC style, just the ingredients, LOL!

EVOO, onions, celery, garlic, mashed potatoes (sub for the cream), the chicken picked off the bones, cannelli beans, chicken stock, diced green chilis, cumin, chili powder, roasted corn kernels (ya think?), wave the jar of chipotle over the pot. cilantro.

• lindac
    14 years ago

Well....true to Linda C style...
    I wouldn't put celery in that....ti will give it a little bit of the "chicken soup" flavor....nor would I use red chili powder...
    How about....onions sauteed in a little evoo, with some...lots...of garlic,a dd the chicken broth and the cannelli beans...drain the canned stuff off, of course....and skip the potatoes and mash some of the beans for "cream", and some tomatillos and chopped Jalapenos....or jalapenos and Anaheim ( green) peppers.....and cilantro....and maybe roasted corn kernels.
    Sounds good enough to eat!
    Linda C
    Pinch of cumin too....maybe use whole seeds that you roast in a dry frypan and crush between 2 spoons or by smashing with a chef's knife.

• doucanoe
    14 years ago

This beef dish is to die for! I found it in a magazine a while back, not sure which one...maybe Cooking Light.

Seriously. It is super flavorful!

Beef Daube Provençal

2 teaspoons olive oil
    12 garlic cloves, crushed
    1 (2-pound) boneless chuck roast, trimmed and cut into 2- inch cubes
    1 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
    1 cup red wine
    2 cups chopped carrot
    1 1/2 cups chopped onion
    1/2 cup less-sodium beef broth
    1 tablespoon tomato paste
    1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
    1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
    Dash of ground cloves
    1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
    1 bay leaf
    3 cups hot cooked medium egg noodles (about 4 cups
    uncooked noodles)
    Chopped fresh thyme (optional)

Preheat oven to 300°.

Heat olive oil in a small Dutch oven over low heat. Add garlic to pan; cook for 5 minutes or until garlic is fragrant, stirring occasionally. Remove garlic with a slotted spoon; set aside.

Increase heat to medium-high. Add beef to pan. Sprinkle beef with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Cook 5 minutes, browning on all sides. Remove beef from pan. Add wine to pan, and bring to a boil, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Add garlic, beef, remaining 1 teaspoon salt, remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper, carrot, and next 8 ingredients (through bay leaf) to pan; bring to a boil.

Cover and bake at 300° for 2 1/2 hours or until beef is tender. Discard bay leaf. Serve over noodles. Garnish with chopped fresh thyme, if desired.

Note: To make in a slow cooker, prepare through Step 2. Place beef mixture in an electric slow cooker. Cover and cook on HIGH for 5 hours.

Yield 6 servings (serving size: about 3/4 cup stew and 1/2 cup noodles)

Linda