SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chase_gw

Summer Virtual Dinner - Main course

chase_gw
16 years ago

This thread is for the star of the show, the entree. Time to be grillin' and chillin'......mind you it doesn't have to be a grilled entree could be even be cold.

Comments (17)

• chancesmom
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Little bit of effort, but worth it.

Grilled Chicken Breasts with Pancetta
    (Canadian Living BBQ and Summer Foods Cookbook)

8 boneless chicken breasts
    1/4 c minced fresh parsley or coriander
    1/4 c finely diced shallots
    salt and pepper
    16 slices pancetta (or lean side bacon)
    2 Tbsp corn starch
    2 Tbsp dry sherry

Marinade
    1 onion minced
    3/4 c lemon juice
    grated rind of 1 lemon
    3Tbsp light soy sauce
    2Tbsp white wine
    2Tbsp liquid honey
    1Tbsp minced ginger
    1Tbsp dijon
    2 cloves garlic minced
    salt and pepper

In shallow pan mix together marinade and chicken (pan should be shallow enough for chicken nto be in single layer) Cover and marinade at least 2 hrs or up to overnight.
    Drain chicken - RESERVE marinade. Pat chicken dry and place between 2 sheets wax paper and pound with mallet until flattened.
    Combine coriander, shallots s and p. and place about 2 tsp in middle of chicken breast and roll up. Wrap 2 slices of pancetta around each breast and secrure with toothpicks if necessary.
    Pour marinade into sauce pan and bring to boil. Combine cornstarch with sherry, and stir into marinade. bring this our to BBQ .

Cook chicken on greased grill over med-hot coals brushing once or twice with marinade for about 7 to 8 min each side until chicken in no longer pink inside.

Serve with Cucumber Yogurt sauce......(I have not done that)

2 cucumbers peeled and seeded and diced
    2 tsp salt

Sprinke salt over cucumbers and set over colander to drain for 30 min, rinse and pat dry. Add following....

1 and 1/2 c plain yogurt
    1 c sr cream
    2 cloves garlic minced
    1 tsp pepper
    1 tspn lemon juice
    1 Tbsp chopped fr dill

mix together and refriderate for at least one hr.

• msafirstein
    16 years ago

Another one from The Food Network that I been meaning to try but I am a sucker for anything with basil and fennel seeds!

Grilled Chicken with Basil Dressing

Recipe courtesy of Giadia De Laurentis

2/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
    3 tablespoons plus 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
    1 1/2 teaspoons fennel seeds, coarsely crushed
    1 1/2 teaspoons salt
    1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
    1 cup lightly packed fresh basil leaves
    1 large clove garlic
    1 teaspoon grated lemon zest

Whisk 1/3 cup of oil, 3 tablespoons of lemon juice, fennel seeds, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper in a heavy-duty re-sealable plastic bag. Add the chicken and seal the bag. Massage the marinade into the chicken.

Refrigerate at least 30 minutes and up to 1 day, turning the chicken occasionally.

Meanwhile, blend the basil, garlic, lemon zest, remaining 1/4 cup lemon juice, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper in a blender until smooth. Gradually blend in the remaining 1/3 cup oil. Season the basil sauce, to taste, with more salt and pepper, if desired.

Prepare the barbecue for medium-high heat or preheat a grill pan over medium-high heat. Grill the chicken until just cooked through, about 5 minutes per side. Transfer the chicken to plates. Drizzle the basil sauce over and serve.

• Related Discussions

Virtual Garden Tour

Q

Comments (78)
    All right split rock, that's music to my ears. No where is it written that drainage ditches have to be ugly. Just realize that it's most likely an easement and should the city need access you might need to move plants quickly. Bungalow. I think gardening in your area would be ideal. Michigan has beautiful summers but I wish they were longer and more mild. I'm thinking virginia should change their motto to " Virginia is for gardeners". No I don't have a website. I don't advertise at all. I don't even have job pics. The reason I have a few now is that my client was up north when we were working at her site and I wanted to show her the progress. I really should take more pics and then you'd see some really impressive properties! Here's a little water feature I put in for her grand kids to play in. Anything for the grand kids!
    ...See More

Would anyone be interested in doing a 'Virtual Tea Party'

Q

Comments (59)
    I just spoke with Judith (on the phone) this afternoon. Her computer has crashed!!! You can imagine how frustrated she is, especially NOW! I told her I would post this here so everyone would know what happened and why she was not posting. I will start the 'TEA PARTY TIME' thread for her now so that posters can begin their uploading of Virtual tea party settings. Judith is sure that her computer will be up and running soon and she can always post from work on break in a pinch.
    ...See More

Summer Virtual Dinner - You are invited.....

Q

Comments (34)
    Hi Lynn, great to hear from you and glad you could participate! My dinner is finally over. Very fun time overall. Started with sangria and bruschetta with Chase's boursin on the porch. Sangria is such a fun summer drink, so refreshing. I made mine with Spanish white wine, peach schapps, a little brandy, and some champagne I had in little bottles plus 7-up. Garnished with strawberries and kiwis, very good! I set up my backyard for guests on the patio, and we had dinner under the umbrella. It rained a bit but the umbrella kept us dry. All the dishes were great, but the best loved things were the coral soup and the blackberry shortbread bars. My friend was a vegan, unbeknownst to me, (she's gotten into it for health reasons), so I really could have left out the cheese in some of my dishes like the pesto and fritters. The fritters were the least good dish. I have never been a fritter fan, I just think they are too greasy and hard to get done in the middle withouth burning on the outside. Adding cheese did not help, that was a big mistake but I was trying to use some cheese up that I had in the fridge. My freind brought a potato-beet salad so I didn't get to use mine. I know what I'll be having for lunch this week, lol! Good friends, good food, good vibes. A great opportunity to cook up a storm!
    ...See More

Finessing summer dinner party menu

Q

Comments (30)
    But I'm still with Olychick! Borrow some more TV trays of any kind you can lift. I used to do mill around food for buffets which could be eaten one handed, including special plates for the purpose that made it easy to hold plate and cup, but people still wanted to sit to eat and have at least a tray table to set things on. If you can't borrow any, try milk crates, wood barrels or boxes, small occasional tables, etc. Or even rent some bar/cafe tables (the little round ones). Easier to adapt your environment than convince people to not want a table.
    ...See More
  • Carol Schmertzler Siegel
    16 years ago

From August Bon Appetit. I made it twice already!

Tequila-Glazed Chicken with Jalapeno.

1 1/2 tablespoons whole coriander seeds, coarsely ground in spice mill or mortar with pestle
    1 3/4 teaspoons coarse kosher salt
    1/2 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
    1 (3 1/2- to 4-pound) cut-up (best of fryer) chicken
    1/3 cup orange juice or pineapple juice
    1/4 cup gold or silver tequila
    2 tablespoons (packed) golden brown sugar
    2 tablespoons honey
    1 to 2 red jalape chiles with seeds, finely chopped
    1 shallot, minced
    Nonstick vegetable oil spray

Mix coriander, salt, and red pepper. Sprinkle mixture all over chicken. Arrange chicken, skin side up, on baking sheet; cover and chill at least 6 hours or overnight.

Combine orange juice, tequila, brown sugar, honey, 1 jalapeño, and shallot in small saucepan. Bring to boil, stirring until sugar dissolves. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer until mixture thickens slightly, about 10 minutes. Add 1 more jalapeño if more heat is desired. Cool glaze. Transfer 3 tablespoons glaze to small bowl and set aside for serving.

Spray grill with nonstick spray. Prepare barbecue (medium heat). Arrange chicken, skin side up, on grill. Grill 15 minutes, turning occasionally. Brush chicken with glaze in saucepan. Turn chicken over; brush with glaze. Grill until juices run clear when pierced with fork or until instant-read thermometer inserted into chicken registers 170°F, turning and brushing occasionally with glaze, about 10 minutes longer. Transfer to platter. Spoon reserved glaze over.

Makes 4 servings.

Bon Appétit
    August 2007
    Molly Stevens

• arabellamiller
    16 years ago

Carol, I second that tequila chicken recipe from BA - I ripped it out of the magazine and can't wait to try it!

This isn't really a "recipe", more like "instructions", but this is one of my favorite summer dishes. It's very beautiful on a plate, super easy, and it's all about the flavor the of veal. I like it with fresh corn and roasted carrots. It also stands up well to some of the more complex flavors of a summer salad.

Balsamic-Glazed Veal Chops

1/2 cup olive oil
    2/3 cup balsamic vinegar
    4 veal chops
    salt and pepper

Prepare your grill.

Combine oil and vinegar and use half to marinate the veal for 1 hour. Use the other half to baste while grilling. Grill until done, about 3 minutes on each side or however you like it.

AM

• woodie
    16 years ago

GRILLED CHICKEN CORN SALAD

4 Chicken breast halves, boneless and skinless, seasoned to your taste, grilled and sliced diagonally

2 tablespoons olive oil
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    3 tablespoons lime or lemon juice
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    1 tablespoon chili powder
    1 tablespoon lime or lemon zest
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    2 (11 oz.) cans whole kernel corn, drained - or - FRESH CORN IN SEASON
    1 (16 oz.) can black beans, rinshed and drained
    2 plum tomatoes, cut into wedges
    1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
    1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro

Heat oil in heavy skillet. Add garlic and cook just until it sizzles. Add chili powder and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Remove from heat and add salt, pepper, zest and juice. Mix well. Add corn and beans, mix well. Spoon mixture into large serving bowl, add chicken, tomatoes, onions and cilantro. Toss and serve immediately.

Or, place corn and beans mixture on a platter and arrange chicken, tomatoes and onions on top and sprinkle with cilantro.

6 servings

• caliloo
    16 years ago

I am going to "test drive" this recipe this weekend, but it "reads" well so I feel confident sharing it before I have even tried it. I will probably omit the calamari though, DH and I don't care for it. It is from a "Best Of" on the Food Network recipe site.

Alexa

Bouillabaisse Recipe courtesy Paul Laublgnat, Nancy's Landing

1/4 cup olive oil
    2 carrots, cut into julienne
    1 bulb fresh fennel, cut into julienne
    1 leek, cut into julienne
    1 rib celery, cut into julienne
    1 sprig thyme
    1 sprig rosemary
    1 bay leaf
    10 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
    1 strip dried orange peel
    2 cups dry white wine
    2 tablespoons tomato paste
    1 quart fish stock or clam juice
    6 pinches of saffron threads
    8 small clams cleaned
    1 pound fresh white fish of your choice, cut into 1-inch cubes
    16 large shrimp peeled and veined
    1 pound mussels cleaned
    8 ounces calamari cleaned
    16 large scallops
    2 (6-ounce) lobster tails (cut into thirds)
    2 ounces anise flavored liqueur, such as Pernod
    1 pound ripe tomatoes, seeded and roughly chopped
    Garlic toast, as an accompaniment
    Rouille, as a garnish, recipe follows

In a 6-quart stock pot heat the olive oil and the carrots, fennel, leek, celery, thyme, rosemary, bay leaf, garlic, and orange peel. Cook while stirring for 5 minutes. Add the wine, tomato paste, fish stock, and saffron. Bring to a simmer and cook for 8 minutes.
    Begin adding the seafood: first the clams (cook for 1 minute) and then the white fish (cook for another minute). Then the shrimp, mussels, calamari, scallops, and lobster tails. Add the liqueur and chopped tomatoes. Simmer for 8 minutes.

Place in large soup tureen or serve in individual dishes with garlic toast and rouille.

Rouille:
    2 egg yolks
    2 teaspoons tomato paste
    1 teaspoon anise flavored liqueur, such as Pernod
    4 cloves garlic, chopped
    1 small dried chile pepper
    1 pinch saffron
    2 teaspoons olive oil

Put all ingredients (except olive oil) in a blender and whip at low speed until smooth. Slowly add the olive oil in a steady stream, forming a mayonnaise-like emulsion. Serve in a small bowl.

This recipe was provided by professional chefs and has been scaled down from a bulk recipe provided by a restaurant. The FN chefs have not tested this recipe, in the proportions indicated, and therefore, we cannot make any representation as to the results.

• compumom
    16 years ago

I won't be participating in the dinner as I hope to be away, but tonight we enjoyed a light and delicious dish for a summer meal-

Salmon with Kiwi Watermelon Salsa
    (I didn't use kiwi as we both don't care for it, but I'll post the recipe exactly as it's printed. I used 1/8th of a watermelon and cut back the other ingredients to serve two.)If you don't have watermelon, the suggested alternative was pineapple.

Salsa:
    1- 14.75 oz pk of watermelon hearts cut into bite sized pieces
    3 kiwi fruits peeled and coarsely chopped
    1 ear white corn, cut off the cob
    1/2 red onion diced (about 1 cup)
    1 green jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced (it was mild)
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1/2 cup fresh cilantro, minced (I used dried)
    1 T fresh lime juice
    1/4 tsp kosher salt
    Combine all ingredients in a glass bowl. Mix well, cover and chill.
    Salmon:
    Basically broil (or grill) 5 pieces of salmon on a broiler pan (skin removed) and season with salt and pepper. I broiled for 10 minutes until medium rare.
    Top with salsa and serve. We found it really refreshing on this hot night and each 5 oz serving has only 240 calories!

• maggie2094
    16 years ago

I hope to participate in this one. Dh has made both of these form Steve Raichlen's How To Grill book. I have lots more but have to type them out!

Tuscan-Style Porterhouse Steak (Florentine Porterhouse)
    Serves 3 to 4 and can be multiplied as desired.

1 porterhouse steak, cut 1-1/2 to 2 inches thick (about 2 pounds)
    coarse sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
    2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
    1 tablespoon fresh rosemary leaves, finely chopped
    6 whole fresh sage leaves
    1/2 cup of the best cold pressed, extra virgin olive oil you can find

1. Set up your grill for direct grilling and preheat to high. (Ideally youll be using wood or charcoal.) Brush and grease the grill grate.

2. Generously season the steak with salt and pepper. Place it on the grate and grill until cooked to taste, 6 to 8 minutes per side for medium-rare.

3. Meanwhile, strew the garlic, rosemary, and sage leaves over the bottom of a deep dish or platter. Arrange the grilled steak on top. Pour the olive oil over it. Turn the steak a few times to coat with the garlic, herbs, and oil. Spoon the oil that gathers in the bottom of the dish over the steak. Marinate the steak in this fashion for 3 to 5 minutes.

4. To carve and serve, cut the tenderloin and strip off the bone. Cut each crosswise into 1 1/2 inch thick slices. Baste with oil one final time and serve at once.

Matambre (Montevidean Hunger-Killer)
    (Stuffed Flank Steak)

This recipe may sound complicated, but it can be assembled in 15 minutes. When people see the results, theyll think youve been working for hours. This recipe calls for flanksteak, but Ive also made matambre with brisket. If youre not comfortable with your knifesmanship skills, ask your butcher to butterfly the meat.

Serves 8 as an appetizer, 4 as a main course.

1 flanksteak (1-1/2 to 1-3/4 pounds)
    1/2 red bell pepper
    1/2 green bell pepper
    a 6 ounce piece of romano cheese
    a 6 ounce piece of kielbasa sausage
    2 hard cooked eggs, peeled and cooled (optional)
    1 long carrot, trimmed and peeled
    salt and freshly ground black pepper
    1 teaspoon each dried oregano and sage
    6 thin slices of bacon

1. Set the grill up for direct grilling and preheat to medium-low.

2. Butterfly the flanksteak: Place the steak at the edge of a cutting board, short side toward you. Using a long slender knife, butterfly the meat, that is cut it almost in half through the narrow edge of the long side and open it up as you would a book. Pound it flat with the side of a meat cleaver. The idea is to obtain a square of meat thats 12 to 15 inches long and wide. Breathe a sigh of relief: the hard part is over.

3. Core and seed the peppers and cut into 1/2 inch strips. Cut the cheese and sausage lengthwise into 1/2 inch thick strips. Cut the eggs lengthwise in quarters. Cut the carrot lengthwise in quarters. Arrange the bacon strips, leaving 1 inch between each, on a large (24 by 24 inch) rectangle of heavy-duty foil. (The strips should run parallel to the bottom edge of the cutting board.) Place the flanksteak on top of the bacon, so that the grain of the meat runs parallel to the bacon.

4. Generously season the meat with salt and pepper and sprinkle with oregano and sage. Arrange strips of sausage in a neat row, end to end, along the edge of the meat closest to you. Place a row of red bell pepper strips next to it. Then a row of cheese strips, then carrot strips, then green bell pepper strips, then hard cooked eggs. Repeat the process until all the ingredients for the filling are used up. Leave the last 3 inches of meat uncovered.

5. Starting at the edge closest to you and using the foil to help you, roll up the meat with the filling to make a compact roll. Its a lot like rolling a jelly roll. Pin the top edge shut with metal skewers or tie the matambre closed with a few lengths of butchers string. Encase the roll in foil, twisting the ends to make what will look like a large sausage. Poke a few holes in the foil at each end to release the steam.

6. Place the matambre over the heat and cook until very tender, 1-1/2 to 2 hours, turning often. If it starts to burn, reduce the heat to low or move the matambre to a portion of the grill with no coals under it. To test for doneness, insert a metal skewer. It should pierce the meat easily and be piping hot to the touch. Transfer the matambre to a cutting board and let cool for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and skewers or string. Cut the roll widthwise into 1-inch slices.

• ann_t
    16 years ago

Home Cookin Chapter: Recipes From Thibeault's Table

Veal Chop with Tomato Black Olive Salsa
    ========================================
    ----------------------------------------
    4 Veal Chops
    Garlic
    Rosemary
    Salt
    Pepper

Prepare chops by rubbing with garlic and rosemary and sprinkle with salt and Pepper. Grill to medium rare and serve with Tomato Black Olive Salsa.

Tomato Black Olive Salsa
    ========================
    My recipe.

3 or 4 tomatoes, seeded

1 clove minced garlic

1 finely chopped shallot

1/2 cup pitted and chopped Kalamata olives

zest from lemon. (to taste)

2 tablespoons olive oil

salt and pepper to taste

Chop tomatoes and add minced garlic, shallots, olives, lemon zest, olive
    oil, and salt and pepper. Mix well and serve at room temperature.

Or how about a nice big three pound Porterhouse marinated with a rosemary, lots of garlic, cracked peppercorns (black, pink, green) and olive oil. Grilled and served with grilled peppers, zucchini, mushrooms, etc...

• debbie814
    16 years ago

I hope to participate if I can get everything done to go on vacation the following day.

Jessy's Lime-Chipotle Sauce - Sunset Magazine

Food processor:
    1/2 cup honey
    2 tablespoons minced canned chipotle chilies in adobado sauce
    3 tablespoons brown mustard
    1/2 cup lime juice
    1 1/2 tablespoons minced garlic
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
    1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
    Season with salt and pepper

Serve sauce as a marinade grilled meats, poultry, and fish if your guests don't get to it first with tortilla chips. Makes 1 1/2 cups

• debbie814
    16 years ago

We've made this and really enjoy the flavor. Thanks Maggie!

Ginger-Soy London Broil
    =======================

1 piece (2 inches) fresh ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
    1/2 red onion, cut into 1-inch chunks
    4 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
    1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
    1/4 cup dry red wine
    1/4 cup soy sauce
    1/4 cup vegetable oil
    1/2 teaspoon black pepper
    1 flank steak (1/2 to 2 pounds)

1. Prepare the marinade: Place the ginger, onion, garlic, and cilantro in a food processor and process until a smooth paste forms. Add the wine, soy sauce, oil and pepper and process to combine.

2. Place the steak in a baking dish just large enough to hold it and spread the marinade over it. Let marinate in the refrgerator, covered, for at least 4 hours, ideally 6 hours, or even overnight, turning the steak a few times.

3. Set up grill for direct grilling and preheat to high. Brush and oil the grill grate. Remove steak and drain well. Place the steak on the hot grate and grill, 6 to 8 minutes per side for medium-rare, 2 minutes more per side for medium, rotating the steak 90 degrees after 3 minutes if a crosshatch of grill marks is desired. Let rest for 5 minutes. Using a sharp knife, carve it into broad think slices, holding the knife blade at a 45 degree angle to the top of meat.

Maggie

• chase_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

This one is from a grilling cookbook Jimtex sent me in a swap. Very nice !

Stuffed Chicken Breasts

4 boneless,skinless chicken breasts , pounded thin
    4 slices proscuitto
    8 fresh basil leaves
    2 oil packed sun dried tomatoes, drained and thinly sliced
    grated parmesan or fontina
    4 tooth picks
    salt and pepper
    2 TBSP olve oil

Place a slice of proscuitto on top of each pounded chicken breast, then place 2 basil leaves on top. Divide the tomatoes into 4 equal portions and place them in a line near a long edge of each breast. Sprinkle each breats with grated cheese.

Starting from the egde near the tomatoes, roll up each breast jelly roll fashion and secure with a toothpick.(the tomatoes end up in the centre of the roll)

Season each roll with salt and pepper and brush with oil.

Grill directly over the heat elements or hottest part of the grill. Turn browning on all sides until firm to the touch and opague throughout, about 12-15 minutes.

Cut the chicken crosswise into slices and serve right away.

• chase_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

No summer menu would be complete without ribs!! These are my favourite "wet" ribs !!!

COOKINGRVC'S TEXAS ROADHOUSE GRILL BABY BACK RIBS

2 racks pork baby back ribs
    Salt
    Black pepper

SAUCE:
    2 tablespoons vegetable oil
    1/4 cup minced fresh onion
    1 1/2 cups water
    1/2 cup tomato paste
    1/2 cup white vinegar
    1/2 cup brown sugar
    2 tablespoons honey
    1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
    1 3/4 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon liquid smoke
    1 teaspoon Jim Beam whiskey
    1/4 teaspoon coarsely-ground black pepper
    1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
    1/8 teaspoon paprika

Sprinkle ribs with salt and pepper. Wrap in aluminum foil and bake in a preheated 300 degree oven for 2 1/2 hours.

Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Saute the onions for 5 minutes or until they start to brown. Add the remaining ingredients and bring mixture to a boil then reduce heat and simmer for 1 1/4 hours, uncovered, or until sauce thickens. Remove from heat and set aside until the ribs are ready. Preheat your barbecue grill.

When ribs are finished in the oven, the meat should pull back about 1/2-inch from the ends of the bones. Remove from oven and let rest for 10 minutes. Grill the ribs for 3 to 4 minutes per side.

Brush barbecue sauce on the ribs while they're grilling, just before you serve them. Don't add the sauce too early or it will burn.

Note: everybody that makes this puts more Jim Beam in the sauce!

• chase_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Here is another of Sues'recipe I have made a kazillion times! I rarely cook in the oven, I use the grill and therfore never make the sauce.

Sue's Stuffed Pork Tenderloin

2 pork tenderloins
    handful spinach leaves,rinsed and drained.
    1 cup grated Jarlesberg cheese
    (or Fontina),I use fontina
    1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese (or try goat cheese)
    2 tsp garlic powder (fresh garlic would be too potent)
    Salt/Pepper
    2 cup White wine or chicken stock
    2 TBSP Flour
    2 TBSP Cold water
    Chicken stock

Butterfly each tenderloin, and carefully pound to even thickness.
    Place on work surface, overlapping the long sides by about an inch. Layer the spinach leaves, then the grated Jarlesberg, then the parmesan.
    Sprinkle with garlic powder and some salt and pepper.
    Roll the roast tightly and tie off at 1.5 inch intervals.
    You can add some wine or chicken stock to the pan (about 2 cups).
    Preheat oven to 400F and roast (uncovered) 24 minutes per pound until internal temperature is around 160ish. (Typical tenderloins should take 1.5 hours)***** I find this way too long a cooking time. I find the tenderloins are done in less tha an hour.
    Check temperature after 50 minutes and then every 10 minutes so it doesn't overcook. When cooked, remove from oven,transfer roast to a cutting board, and loosely cover with foil - let sit for 15 minutes.
    Drain liquids into a saucepan, turn heat up to medium-high and reduce liquid for 2 minutes - reduce heat to low. If there is less than 1.5 cups of liquid, add some chicken or beef broth.
    Mix a slurry of flour and cold water, then slowly add to the gravy until thickened.

• lakeguy35
    16 years ago

I'm late adding these options....

One of our favorite grilling recipes is from The Barbecue Bible by Steven Raichlen.

Tuna Steaks, Madeira-Style (Stimes3)
    4 cloves garlic, peeled
    1 TBSP coarse salt
    1 TBSP dried oregano leaves
    1 TBSP dried basil leaves
    1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
    1/2 cup EVOO, preferably Portugese, or as needed
    4 tuna steaks (each 6-9 ounces and about 1 inch thick)
    8 bay leaves

1. Combine the garlic, salt, oregano, basil, and pepper in a mortar and pound to a paste with the pestle, then work in enough oil to achieve a spreading consistency, 1 to 2 TBSP. (if you don't have a mortar and pestle, mash the ingredients together in a bowl using the back of a wooden spoon, or process in a mini-chopper or blender, adding the oil gradually. (this is what I do...))
    2. Rinse the tuna steaks under cold running water, then drain and blot dry with paper towels. Using your fingers or a spatula, spread the spice paste on both sides of each of the steaks, then place in a baking dish just large enough to hold them flat in a single layer. Pour another 1/4 cup of the oil over the fish and turn the steaks once or twice to coat. Place a bay leaf under each steak and one on top, then cover and let marinate, in the refrigerator for 3-4 hours, spooning the oil over the steaks occasionally.
    3. Preheat the grill to high.
    4. When ready to cook, oil the grill grate. Remove the tuna steaks form the marinade. Rinse and blot dry with paper towels, then brush on both sides with another 1 to 2 tablespoons oil. Arrange the steaks, facing in the same direction on the hot grate and grill until cooked to taste, 4-6 min. per side for medium well (the portugese like their tuna on the medium side of medium well), turning over carefully. For an attractive crosshatch of grill marks, rotate the steaks 90 degrees after the first 2 minutes on each side.
    5. Transfer the steaks to serving plates and serve at once.
    Stacy

Here's a recipe I've used for years - don't remember where I got it. I use it for pork, chicken, or beef.

BLACK DIAMOND STEAK MARINADE(PatT)
    2 Tblsp. oil
    1/4 cup lite soy sauce
    1/4 cup honey
    2 Tblsp. brown sugar
    2 Tblsp. vinegar
    1-1/2 tsp. ginger
    Pinch of garlic powder
    Mix. Score steak on both sides. Marinate in above mixture 8 to 10 hours. Grill 6 to 8 minutes per side

Steak in Garlic-Lime Marinade(Lorijean44)
    The recipe recommends to cut the steaks thin, no more than 1/2 inch thick, using steaks cut from the top butt, or shell steaks or sirloin.
    For the Adobo:
    4 cloves garlic
    1 teaspoon salt, or more to taste
    1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or more to taste
    1/2 cup sour orange juice or fresh lime juice
    2 tablespoons olive oil

For the steaks:
    4 beef steaks (each 6 to 8 ounces), cut 1/2 inch thick
    2 large onions, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch slices
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    1. Prepare the adobo. Combine the garlic, salt, cumin, and pepper in a mortar and grind to a paste with the pestle. Work in the lime juice and oil to a smooth paste. Alternatively, place all the ingredients in a blender and process to a smooth puree. Correct the seasoning, adding salt and pepper as necessary; the mixutre should be highly seasoned.
    2. Preheat the grill to high.
    3. When ready to cook, oil the grill grate. Brush the onion slices with the oil and arrange on the hot grate. Brush the steaks with the adobo mixture and place on the box grate with the onion (see Note). Grill the steaks to taste, 2 to 3 minutes per side for medium-rare, basting with the adobo and rotating 90 degrees after 1 minute to create an attractive crosshatch of grill marks. Always use tongs when moving or turning the steak. Grill the onions until nicely charred, 3 to 4 minutes per side, seasoning with salt and pepper.
    4. Transfer the steaks to plates or a platter and brush one final time with the adobo. Let stand for 3 minutes, then serve with the grilled onions on the side.
    Serves 4
    Note: To give the steaks a richer garlic, cumin, and lime flavor, marinate them in the adobo in a nonreactive baking dish for 10 minutes before grilling.
    Lori

Here is a great rub that Sharon shared with us several years ago.

Here is my favourite rub from Steve Raichlens How to Grill(Chase)

1/4 cup brown sugar
    1/4 cup Paprika
    3 TBSP coarse pepper
    3 TBSP coarse salt
    1 TBSP Hickory smoked salt
    2 tsp garlic powder
    2 tsp onion powder
    2 tsp celery seed
    1 tsp cayenne
    Mix well and store in an air tight jar.

I'm thinking I might try the Black Diamond on some thick rib eyes or t-bones.

David

• ann_t
    16 years ago

Home Cookin Chapter: Recipes From Thibeault's Table

Lime-Tequila Grilled Chicken
    ============================
    Source: Southwest Cookbook

Marinade

2/3 cup olive oil
    1/2 cup fresh lime juice
    1 jalapeno chili seeded and minced
    1/4 cup tequila
    2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro

6 skinned boneless chicken breasts
    salsa

Mix all the marinade ingredients together and pour into a nonaluminum shallow pan. Add the chicken and coat thoroughly with marinade. Cover and refrigerate for 4 hours, turning the chicken several times.

Heat grill. Remove chicken from the refrigerator 30 minutes before cooking.

Grill chicken for about 4 minutes per side and serve with salsa.

• lpinkmountain
    16 years ago

Here's my vegetarian entree. It's a new recipe for me. I'm so happy my guests will be vegetarian, of all things! ;)

Corn and Zuchinni Fritters (from "Martha Stewart Living" Magazine, August, 2004)

2 tsp. baking powder
    2 TBLSP unsalted butter, melted
    2 large eggs
    1/2 cup plus 2 TBLSP milk
    1/2 cup chopped cooked ham (optional, I'll leave out)
    1 1/2 cups grated zuchinni (~ 8 oz.)
    2 cups fresh corn kernels (3-4 ears)
    Vegetable oil for frying
    Cooked bacon, sliced cheddar cheese, avocado and tomato for serving

Whisk together four, baking powder, 2 tsp. salt, and 1/4 tsp. pepper in a large bowl.

Seperately, stir together butter, eggs and milk. Add to flour mixture and stir until just combined. Add ham, (if desired), zuchinni and corn, and stir until well blended.

Heat 1 inch of oil in a large cast iron skillet over med. heat until it registers 350 degrees on a deep fry thermometer.

Working in batches of 4 or 5, gently drop 2 TBLSP batter into skillet for each fritter, pressing gently with a spatula to flatten. Cook, turning once, until golden brown, about 2 min. per side. Transfer with a spatula to paper towels to drain. Season fritters with salt and pepper while still hot. Can make sandwiches with fritters using bacon, cheese, avocado, and tomato if desired.

Note: I'm serving these with a fake bacon bits, tomato and avocado salad. I'm serving the fritters with pesto on the side.