SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
originalpinkmountain

Finessing summer dinner party menu

l pinkmountain
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Tentatively planning an "end of summer/marriage celebration" party at our house for some local friends who could not make it to our wedding, about half of whom are elderly friends of my parents and other half contemporaries of ours (late 50's). Will be mid Sept. and I want to feature fresh local produce. Having trouble coordinating sides with main dish. Don't want to be too expensive, since it will be for about 15 people so I want easy buffet serve yourself easy to eat stuff. Going with a vaguely southwestern/Mexican theme. Here's what I have:

Southwestern bean salad and corn chips, maybe guacamole for an appetizer

Sodas and wine and beer to drink along with pitcher of ice water.

Ensalata rusa (Mexican potato salad)

Cucumber and sour cream salad with lemon and scallions (a family favorite)

Quinoa salad with goat cheese, dried cherries and kale and pumpkin seeds

Grilled corn

Maple mustard chicken thighs

Peach pie a la mode

I'm having trouble coordinating the sides with the main dish. I want something easy to eat and inexpensive, and the thighs suit that bill. But the sides seem kind of heavy either on the creamy side, or the vinegary side, as the kale quinoa salad has a vinegar dressing and the thighs are tangy and so is the salsa. Maybe I am overthinking and it is fine. Some vegetarians who will have plenty of protein from the sides if I plan it right.

Oh, edited to add that I saw a really nice pasta dish with bacon and zucchini but don't know if that would be right for a buffet - how to keep warm? Too fussy to eat?

Thoughts?

Comments (30)