SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
parhelia_gw

Injured doggie won't take pain pills or stop licking incision

parhelia
16 years ago

My mom's dog had to have an expensive surgery to repair a broken leg, and has been a very good little dog until today. The vet said she had to take the bandage off the leg no later than today, I guess so the wound can breathe. Jack (the dog) won't stop licking it. She's sprayed it with the bitter apple spray they gave her, but he just waits a few minutes for it to dry a little and then he's back at it. So she put the cone collar on him, and he went berserk. He is an outdoor dog, but up until she put the collar on, he's stayed indoors with nary a problem. He lets her know when he needs to go to the bathroom, and he's even ignored the cat.

On top of that, he won't take the pain pills. Mom was hoping he might be less inclined to mess with his leg if he'd had a pain pill, but no matter how she tries, he spits it back out. He even coughed it up after she stuck it way down in his throat and held his muzzle shut.

She's worried she won't have time to talk to the vet while at work tomorrow, so I'm going to see if they'll talk to me. In the meantime, if anyone has any advice on how to get him to stop licking the leg or to hide the bitter flavor of the pill, it would be greatly appreciated!!!

Comments (10)