SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jayjay_teacher

Can you help me with my layout?

jayjay_teacher
16 years ago

I have been thinking about remodeling my kitchen for a couple of years. I actually had a kitchen designer (KD) draw up some plans last summer. Just before Christmas I talked with our local cabinet maker (CM) who will be building the cabinets. First I am posting the plans drawn by the KD, then following are the plans drawn by the CM. The CM drawings are in 3 sections. The sink is in a 42'' corner cabinet. I purchased 3 major appliances (refrig, range, compactor) this week during Sears 20% off sale, so I guess I am on my way!

I pretty much liked the KD's plans, but after talking and seeing some of the work of the CM, my stove and hood will be my focal point. I am having a GE cafe DF range with pullouts on each side. The KD's plans allowed 30" for the cooktop and the CM's plans show 50'' for the range and pullouts. I will not be having a wall oven that shows on the KD's plans, but I would like something tall on that end to balance out the refrigerator at the other end of that run. My refrigerator is a cabinet depth GE profile french door.

On the wall with the prep sink, the KD had 3 18'' cabinets under the window. I like that OK, except it seems I am getting too many narrow cabinets. I will be having a built in ironing board in that run close to the wide door. The CM shows a wider bank of drawers, but to me they seem sort of off balance because of the window. The CM mentioned putting the main sink under that window but that is the main passage way into the house and I do not want everyone to be walking by when I am working at the sink, nor do I want them to see any dirty dishes that might be setting there.

I will be having a small island--approximately 4' by 3'. That design has not been decided.

Any suggestions you might make would be appreciated. It seems like there are too many small cabinets or drawers and not enough wider ones. I want to maximize my storage space as that is a major problem in my kitchen now.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions! Jan

{{gwi:1616165}}

{{gwi:1616167}}

{{gwi:1616169}}

{{gwi:1616171}}

Comments (15)