SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ashburngirl

Help me with Sofas(Leather vs Fabric??)

burnGirl
14 years ago

Hello all, We are just about to buy the Sofas for our FR and I was wondering if you guys could give me your opinions on some of the things that I'm wondering about the fabric sofas. I've always liked leather sofa, just for the fact that they are easy maintenance.

Our current sofas are leather and abt 10yrs old, there is some damage to the leather just on the outside but no sagging at all and I've always liked those sofas. But they do look old.

Husband likes to buy fabric and his reasoning is that leather gets cold. We have 2 little kids and the FR is our goto area so its used pretty well on a daily basis. It is where we entertain our casual freinds and there are many. Sometimes kids eat on the sofa while watching TV. We've had some spills before and I expect them in future. The thought of spills, runny noses, dust collection drives me away from fabric. The analogy that I have is in terms of flooring (leather sofa=wood) and (Fabric sofa=carpet)

Could you please give me your opinions and experiences about fabric sofas. How do you keep them clean? What do you do with the dust? etc etc. Your responses are much appreicated. Thanks

Comments (21)

• scanmike
    14 years ago

I always wanted a leather sofa because we had 3 fabric sofa's while the kids were growing up. I can't complain about them. They did hold up well. One was a velvet type fabric which was incredible, even when kids dropped food and drinks, or when sick. The other was washable, so that was pretty good, though it did sag. The leather is not cold, and believe me we live in NYC and it's been cold. It's made by Stickley and it has not sagged in 5 years. However, if you have pets, beware. My son's girlfriend brought her kitten over one summer when we were away and even though I threw a slipcover over it, the cat's nails did some nice scratches. Surface mainly, but I was beside myself. I have 3 cats (front declawed) and they still leave marks with their back claws. The leather is soft, so that's probably why. It is easy to clean, as only dust shows at times. My other sofa in the sunroom has gotten softer and shows dirt marks where jeans rub against. If you go with fabric, make sure it's washable and durable. Now, all that being said, I think I would go back to fabric, just because I like the look overall better.(softer look)

• k9arlene
    14 years ago

Leather, being porous, breathes and adapts to whatever environment it's in. When you first sit on it, it may initially feel a little cool, but after a minute or so, it warms to your body temperature. I'd never have anything but leather. It looks good long after a fabric sofa is ready for the trash.

• Related Discussions

Leathercraft vs Classic leather, Jetton or other leather sofas?

Q

Comments (12)
    We purchased a Jetton sofa and loveseat a couple of years ago (after I read John's recommendation). Overall we have been pleased but the pieces required rework for (1)a small bulge in the fabric on the lovesear due to a poor trim job - done on site (2)two pieces of fabric used for the rear of the sofa which resulted in a pattern mismatch - factory finally replaced with a single swatch (3) a noticeable gather on one sofa back due to tension in the fabric - this required two trips to the factory to fix. It took 3 trips back to fix because both the dealer and the manufacturer did not fully inspect the pieces before sending them back. I had to finally talk to the owner(s) and to their credit they did address my problems. I like the construction techniques used. One curious fact is that the dealer did not advertise the brand in their store. Although the wood furniture had the brand name prominently displayed, for the Jetton line, you didn't find out who made them till you asked. (I had owned Jetton before)
    ...See More

leather or fabric--please help me decide

Q

Comments (14)
    I almost bought Sunbrella fabric for my living room sofa ( I have two teenage boys and a tween girl). I found a great site to order from and they were great about sending samples etc. I'm hesitant to share the website on the forum because my post might get deleted. I think, one of my postings was deleted a couple of days ago because I posted the name of a website that sells the most gorgeous mother of pearl tiles. I am in no way affiliated with them just wanted to share. Oh well!
    ...See More

Need help to tie together a light fabric sofa with a dark leather sofa

Q

Comments (10)
    Yes, it certainly CAN work. The throw that you have over the back of the leather sofa unites the two colors. Maybe try to find pillows that have both the leather sofa and the gray(?) sofa colors in them. Some pics shown HERE. Note the two prints that you have above the gray sofa - Here are more prints, but of stormy beach scenes. Look for fabrics/pillows in those tones. (If you can lower those prints to about 8" above the sofa, they'll look much better.) Stormy ocean prints
    ...See More

mixing leather sofa with a fabric sofa

Q

Comments (4)
    I think pictures would be necessary as advised. However even without pictures I agree that two non-matching sofas isn't ordinarily what is done unless both sofas are deliberately chosen for a specific design effect. However ordinarily they would just look odd and random. Also I question why you need an additional sofa for your seating needs. Most sofas only really seat two people comfortably because no one really wants to sit in the middle seat. You can use two occasional chairs and they would provide comfortable seating AND would look like it was more of a planned design since it is not unusual to have two matching occasional chairs, a sofa AND another "solo" chair that complements and ties together the other choices.
    ...See More
  • yayagal
    14 years ago

I've had both and I tend to lean towards fabric. It's cozier and more inviting. The fabic is what decides the length of the wear. I had corduroy slip covers made that lasted 20 years until I threw them out. Now I have embossed chenille in a paisley pattern and it wears like iron plus there's very little wear on it and it's five years old. I think it's time for a compromise lol.

• runninginplace
    14 years ago

"The analogy that I have is in terms of flooring (leather sofa=wood) and (Fabric sofa=carpet)"

I like your analogy, and it's one I share. I had fabric sofas for many years but finally got leather a couple of years ago. I love it. For us-with a family of 2 cats, 2 young-adult kids (18 and 21 YO) and us living at home, it is perfect. Frankly, fabric couches to me are the same as putting a sheet on a bed and then never being able to wash it! I always dreamed of slipcovered sofas, the white ones that are 'so easy to keep clean, just toss in the washing machine'. However when I had to choose I realized that wrestling off a slipcover, washing, drying and wrestling it back on would be more maintenance than I wanted.

I say go with the leather.

Good luck,
    Ann

• deeinohio
    14 years ago

Another vote for leather. We have 2 young grandchildren, 2 cats, and 2 dogs. Sometimes the dogs will come in and shake. The resulting spots on the sofa wipe right off. Kids spill, animals sheds, DH's rest between outdoor jobs...lots of stuff. I'm with Ann. Just don't like thinking of all that mess on fabric. But I do prefer the look of a comfy velvet sofa. I just don't have the life for it.
    Dee

• barb5
    14 years ago

I agree with your DH that leather is cold. We have a leather chair, a Hancock and Moore. It is beautiful. I never sit in it. I always sit on the fabric loveseat next to it. In the winter the leather is cold, and in the summer, which is humid in our area, my skin sticks to the leather. Yuck, either way.

Once I spilled a plateful of spagetti and tomatoe sauce on the fabric loveseat. Cleaned right up. Must have been scotch guarded at the factory.

I will say that a custom made slipcover is the best of all solutions for me. Too bad I don't have one, LOL. They have all the advantages of fabric and ability to wash them is fantastic. I've seen slips that you can't tell are slips, they are that well made.

Yayagal, that is good to know about the corduroy slips. I bought a new (fabric) couch this year, but saved the old couch because it is a Henredon and I can't bear to throw it out. I'll never be able to afford another Henredon. I've been thinking how wonderful it would look in a navy blue corduroy slipcover for DS's first apartment.

• burnGirl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you all for sharing your experiences. One thing I dont understand is when you say "washable" do you mean washing the slip cover or actually washing a dirty spot on the sofa with a little bit of soap?

• athomewith3
    14 years ago

We just went from fabric to leather and we love it. Like others have said, it may be cold for a minute initially but once you are comfy in it you don't want to get up. We also have 3 kids and we don't worry about spilling since it is so easy to clean.

{{!gwi}}

• jejvtr
    14 years ago

I have had both -

A high quality leather sofa will stand the test of time, kids, pets
    So will a high quality fabric sofa - perhaps not as long as leather. I have a Hancock & Moore chesterfield sofa in LR this was DH's idea - but it is balanced by 3 fabric chairs & a fabric settee

Family room is a Lee Industries down filled sofa with removal slipcovered cushions - I have had that for 3 yrs - held up extremely well - I toss all slip covers in washer & hang dry easy -

In your application w/lil ones I think I may steer towards leather given it has greater durability - I would balance with some fabric coverings in the room

good luck

• tinam61
    14 years ago

We have both and I will say that I prefer my fabric sofa. I feel like I slip and slide on the leather in certain clothing.

I do agree that WHAT fabric you put on a fabric sofa makes the difference. I have an 11 year old sofa in our great room, that honestly, while it does not look brand new, it looks barely worn. I'll admit that I have never bought a fabric sofa just out of the store, I've always ordered one - choosing my fabric - carefully. And yes, fabric sofas can be cleaned (professionally).

I should note that it's only the two of us and one very small dog, who causes no problems with furniture. LOL

tina

ps - I have been trying to find a slipcovered sofa for our sunroom! Love the look, if the slipcovers are well fitting. Custom seems the best way to go on that.

• boxerpups
    14 years ago

I love leather. In my family room I have 1 leather sofa,
    leather ottoman, leather chair and 3 tweed fabric chairs.
    The Leather pieces are holding up the best. We have throw
    blankets for those chilly times. I do agree it gets chilly
    but the nice thing about leather is it warms fast and
    feels great on the skin. Good quality soft italian leather
    is worth every penny.

I also put leather in our media room. A fun curved sofa
    that seats 8 and has two ottomans. This leather takes
    a far worse beating with popcorn, drinks, teenagers,
    football yelling.. And again leather has been the best for
    our busy family. No wear, and I am honestly shocked.

The worst mistake I ever made was our ivory linen sofa in
    my formal living room. It just looks like it needs to be
    replaced. I have stuck that on the back burner of my mind
    and avoid that room. What was I thinking Ivory linen???
    I need to replace it one fine day because Ivory is not a
    great choice even in a room that is not often used.

~boxerpups

• lobotome
    14 years ago

I haven't read the other replies yet, but I couldn't resist giving my two cents worth.

I've always had fabric sofas which have always been good to me. Other than getting dirty, and needing cleaning once in a while, I've only been unlucky once in 27 yrs of fabric sofa owning. The reason was because it was a cheaper built (not in the money department) sofa. We didn't put enough thought into it and bought one that had the overstuffed back that sagged after a few years.

We're in the market to buy a recliner sofa set this time around and have been trying to find something that's comfortable to sit in. We've discovered that leather is slippery, and uncomfortable after a while because we're always trying to re-adjust our bottoms because we seem to slip and slide down.

We prefer fabric because of the instant warmth it delivers, and like how it holds you in place... although, leather is easy to wipe off and most leather sets are quite nice to look at.

• laura11106
    14 years ago

I love leather sofas, There is nothing better -- but a good quality leather sofa can get very expensive. If your budget is more modest, there are excellent microfibers out on the market, which are very easy to clean. You will need to be careful, however. Not all microfibers are equal. Where some microfibers will allow you to wipe away a wine or coffee stain with a wet soapy sponge, others will absorb the stain and leave a permanent blotch. The best strategy is to get a swatch of the fabric from your store, subject it to the most common types of stains you expect to find in your home, and see which ones work the best. Even a top quality microfiber sofa will be thousands less than an equivalent quality leather sofa.

• cindyandmocha
    14 years ago

I have 3 large dogs, but dogs are not ( i DID get the leather because of the dogs initially) i'd never go back to cloth. Leather rocks! Its warm in winter (true leather) and cool in summer. I will never go back to cloth.

• cattknap
    14 years ago

Leather is definitely cold when you first sit on it but it does warm quickly. For evening television watching I keep a thick soft throw behind a corner chair and always put that down before I sit on our leather couch.

I agree about the importance of having a mix of fabrics and textures in a room with a leather couch...too much leather does not make for a well-balanced look.

As mentioned, you can have fabric couches treated with stain guards and they do work up to a point. With small children, I would stick with leather.

Washable slip covers can be washed - as in washed in the washing machine.

Another thought: Eat food in the kitchen or dining room and stop eating in the living room. You will be surprised how quickly the children will catch on to the no-eating in the living room rule. Solves a lot of problems.

• naptimerocks
    14 years ago

I have always had fabric sofas then about 6 years ago I bought a slipcovered sofa from Arhaus. I thought it was a good investment because I could have new covers made and when we decided to have kids I figured I could wash the covers. Well.....a few years later we had twins, then had our third before the twins turned 2 and by that time I was fed up with the maintenance of the fabric.

So, one day I was so frustrated at the constant cleaning, I went to the furniture store and bought a leather sofa and loveseat. They look fabulous and for the first year I loved how easy it was to clean them and the worry free attitude I could have with 3 toddlers.

Now I have had them for about 2.5 years and I am counting the days until I can have a cozy, fabric sofa again. I still have the Arhaus sofa, but it is too large to move into our current space, so it sits in the kids playroom in the basement (figures, right?). My husband has relented that I could buy a new fabric sofa, but everytime I look at them, all I can think about is the spilled milk, dropped food that got snuck into the family room, runny noses that got wiped on the seat cushions.....so, I leave the store longing for a fabric sofa but appreciating the leather and the fact it always looks good, no matter what.

As a matter of fact, my SIL thought the leather was such a good idea after seeing mine and also having 3 small children, she bought the exact same set. We feel the same way about leather and fabric. Function won out over personal preference. BTW, I have leather on carpet and plan to add a nice area rug to help add some color the room.

• burnGirl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you all for so many wonderful opinions, I will be showing this thread to DH.

Yes, I do agree that too much leather in one room might not look good. May be we will add couple of fabric chairs if we go on with the leather.

• emagineer
    14 years ago

Just make sure you get a good leather and one with a properly dyed finish. Paying the price is worth having a piece that lasts well. Hate to say that one way to test a leather piece is running your finger nail over it. If it scratches, walk away. Also try and see any furniture in a stores outlet area (if they have one) or which has been on the floor for a while. Will give you an idea of how well the leather withstands use.

I love the feeling and look of leather furniture in a room. But gave mine to my daughter. Where ever skin met leather it was fading. Especially during summer months when people were in shorts and t-shirts. I know this could have been remedied with a leather dye spray, but is simply added work with expense of dye.

I'm back to fabric and fitted/taylored slipcovers. Love being able to change for the seasons. Washing is usually when I change them out. But a great option if they do get dirty in between.

• k9arlene
    14 years ago

I just received my brown Milan leather sofas purchased at Macys. It's the most comfortable leather sofa I've sat and slept on. The leather is not easily scratched. I'm very, very pleased.

• susanlynn2012
    14 years ago

I have a 11 year old Natuzzi leather sofa and recliner that was grade 3b and is a taupe color that always looks clean and is so easy to keep clean. I have 4 little dogs that used to jump on and off the sofa when I had a carpet (can't do the jumping now that I have a hardwood floor)and the sofa and recliner still look brand new. Since I keep the temperature and humidity warm but not too arm all year long, my sofa to me is never cold or hot. It is so comfortable. Any grades less than 3b, including 3a, would be colder and slippery I feel based on my testing of furniture.

I wish I could buy a high quality leather for my Ergonomic chair but the special petite chair was already so expensive and I could not spend another $1000 for the chair. I have to keep vacuuming the office chair and cleaning it since to me fabric is not as easy to take care of as leather as long as the leather is of a decent grade.

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County