summer torte
17 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (150)
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
Related Discussions
question about that summer torte...
Comments (16)Shaun, you may be right...however they're not shiny like "bald" usually is:-). And I love Ranier Cherries too, but to coin an old phrase..."they're higher than a cat's back". I usually buy a small handful at a time. I just went to Fresh Market today and if I hadn't just eaten, some of them would have come home with me. We love the Brioche from there also and so far what I've made is not as good. They display their produce etc. so well.... it makes you spend money for sure. Of course I'm all about food and if I didn't have to deal with canning tomatoes in salsa or something tomorrow I'd make that torte. We have fresh peaches from SC....See MoreNeed dessert suggestion for a Clambake
Comments (8)If you mean a real outside on the beach clam bake...I would go with a "grab and go" dessert like cookies or brownies. If you are having a "less sandy" affair, how about my famous ( or infamous!) apple cake with cake gravy? Apple Cake 4 cups chopped apples 1 ½ cups sugar ( can use ½ splenda) ½ cup raisins ( I use chopped other fruit like dried peaches or apricots or craisins) Mix and let sit for about an hour ( less is OK) 2 cups flour 1 1/2 tsps baking soda ( I like 3/4 tsps soda and 3/4 tsps BP) 3/4 tsps salt 1T cinnamon ¼ tsp nutmeg Mix dry ingredients 2 eggs 3/4 cups veggie oil 1 tsp vanilla beat together 1 cup chopped pecans if desired. Add the oil and eggs to the apples and sugar and dried fruit. Stir in the dry mixture and add nuts if desires. Pour into greased 9 by 13 pan and bake 350 until doneÂ..40 to 50 minutes. Serve with cake gravy! Cake Gravy Mix 1 cup sugar 1 stick butter 1/2 cup evap milk 1 tsp vanillaÂ. Mix all and cook all in a sauce pan for about 3 minutes. Serve warm over the cake....See MoreWhen it rains, I bake.
Comments (13)murraysmom - It is called a torte pan. It has a removable bottom so easier to get the dessert out. I got mine at the thrift store for a couple of dollars. I am always on the look out for kitchen stuff there. Torte pan Wish I could send you all a piece. It is really yummy with any kind of fruit. And easy to make....See Moresummer torte
Comments (6)Here's a recipe that I make in an 8" square pan, but it is not very similar: Cherry Cream Crunch Cherry pie filling:* 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice 1/2 cup sugar 2 cups fresh pitted cherries 2 tablespoons cornstarch Crust: 1/2 cup unsalted butter 1/3 cup brown sugar 1 tsp vanilla 1 cup sifted all purpose flour 1/4 tsp salt 1/2 tsp cinnamon 1 cup flaked or shredded coconut, unsweetened 1 cup granola (or oatmeal or rice flakes**) 1/2 cup chopped walnuts Lemon filling: 2 eggs, slightly beaten 1 can (15 oz.) sweetened condensed milk 1 tbsp grated lemon rind 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice Combine sugar and lemon juice in a bowl, stir, add cherries, and let sit for at least 6 hours, stirring occasionally. Drain off and reserve cherry syrup. Combine a small amount of syrup to cornstarch to make a paste, then stir cornstarch paste back into syrup. Pour mixture into a saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring, until the sauce thickens. Stir in the drained cherries. Cool before using. Crust: Cream butter in a large mixing bowl; gradually add brown sugar and vanilla. Mix well. Sift flour, salt and cinnamon; add to butter mixture. Stir in coconut, granola, and walnuts. Press 2-1/2 cups of crumb mixture into bottom of ungreased 9x13 inch baking dish. Bake at 375 degrees for 12 minutes. Lemon filling: Prepare the lemon filling by combining the slightly beaten eggs, sweetened condensed milk, grated lemon rind, and fresh lemon juice. Stir until mixture thickens. Remove crust from the oven and spread with lemon filling. Spoon the cherry pie filling over the lemon filling and then sprinkle with the remaining crumb mixture. Return to oven and bake at 375 degrees 15 to 18 minutes or until delicately browned. Chill before serving. May be served topped with whipped cream. Serves 9 to 12. *You can substitute 1 can (1 lb 4 oz.) of canned cherry pie filling **If using oatmeal or rice flakes instead of granola, increase brown sugar to 1/2 cup. I adapted this recipe from Orowheat Bakery's cookbook, Cooking with Gourmet Grains from the 1970s....See More- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
Related Stories

COLOR4 Ways to Perk Up Your Outdoor Spaces With Color
Go beyond plantings with these ideas for bringing bold hues to the exterior of your home
Full Story
FRONT DOOR COLORSFront and Center Color: When to Paint Your Door Black
Love the idea of a black front door? Here are 8 exterior palettes to make it work
Full Story
ORGANIZINGPre-Storage Checklist: 10 Questions to Ask Yourself Before You Store
Wait, stop. Do you really need to keep that item you’re about to put into storage?
Full Story
HOLIDAYSSurviving the Christmas Countdown: A Parent's Guide
Make things easier on yourself, for heaven's sake — and for the sake of truly enjoying the holiday with your family
Full Story







dedtired