SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stw954

help me avoid stainless hood glare

stw954
17 years ago

Our kitchen is galley style, with two sides running ten feet long and a 42" aisle separating them.

The "alcove" for my cooktop is bounded by the wall oven cabinet on the left and a (very tall but freestanding) refrigerator on the right. The cooktop is 30" but the vent hood above it is 36" (per the recommendation that it overhang the cooktop surface by three inches on either side). The vent hood is stainless and exposed with no uppers on that wall (between the wall oven cabinet and fridge).

The alcove is 57" long. (To the far left is the wall oven, next to that is a 12" base cabinet, then the 30" cooktop, to the right of that is a 15" base cab, and then finally the 30" refrigerator.)

Right now we have a recessed light installed on either side of our future hood, about twelve inches out from the wall, though clearly these will create nasty glare on the stainless hood and chimney and do nothing to actually illuminate the cooktop area. Although probably little to no prep will happen on the cooktop side of the kitchen, I definitely do not want to create a shadowed black hole.

We don't have drywall yet so can still move the recessed lights, if we need to.

Our cabinets are medium shiny white, countertop is matte black, and floor is dark wood.

How do we light this cooktop alcove area? (We are still trying to find out whether our hood's lights will work when it isn't extended.)

By the way, do most people NOT have the glass lenses on the opening of their recessed lights? (I've never looked up to notice this, and it seems the few kitchens I looked at in the Gallery have just their open, naked selves beaming down on the occupants.)

Comments (9)