SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardenwebber

To eliminate, or not to eliminate, a FR doorway

gardenwebber
16 years ago

Hi all. I am usually on the kitchen boards, but I lurk here quite often. We are trying to design our new kitchen and we are at a standstill because I can't decide whether I should eliminate a 2nd doorway to our FR. I am attaching a diagram to show our first floor layout - excuse its crudeness.

Note that the FR has two doorways. One between the FR and dining room, and one between the FR and kitchen. The kitchen you see in this picture is our old kitchen, and the current plan we'd like to go with is this:

{{!gwi}}

The FR is now to the left of this drawing from this perspective, and I have made a note where to FR door in question is. The other FR door would be further down, into the next room (as you can see in the first picture) We basically swapped the kitchen from one side of the space to the other due to issues on the other side of the room.

The big question is, is it a worthwhile tradeoff to keep the doorway there, if it means that instead of a smooth flowing "L" shape, there is a break in the design for the doorway.

We use the FR for 3 purposes: as a TV room, a computer area, and a small sitting area by our back window. Without that door, the room becomes a dead-end with only one doorway creating a bottleneck. We actually closed the door off during the holidays to experiment, and it was a pain with company. Without company, its still a pain, but do-able. Moving the door down is not really an option because from the FR side, it would put the doors too close together. If I keep the door, I would like to pretty much keep it in its original location.

Any thoughts on this matter?

How important is it to have 2 doorways to a FR, one from the kitchen, one from the dining room/front foyer area? The FR is approximately 15X19.

I can submit new drawings if more info is needed. Thanks so very much.

Comments (15)