SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tgeorge73

Kitchen Lighting Plan recommendations requested.

tgeorge73
16 years ago

Kitchen Lighting Plan recommendations requested.

I am in a bit over my head at this point trying to figure out how to best light my kitchen.

We are gutting the current kitchen for the below design.

I have read many of Jon1270's postings and as much as I'd love to figure this out myself, I do not have time at this stage to go out and get Randall Whitehead's book.

Givens:

Our ceiling height is 8'.
Our new kitchen will be off-white cabinets with a chocolate glazing.
Our counters Zodiac, in beige tones
Our flooring hardwood.
On the blank wall I plan to install a wall, LCD TV and locate a wall phone and probably a bulletin board
Exposed walls will most likely be a medium tan color.

What I know:

Will have light over the cooktop in the hood assembly for main cooktop lighting.
Will install 1-2 recessed cans or pendant lights (TBD) over our copper sink. (based on other posts I believe 2 smaller lights might be better than one dead-center light with the size of our sink and that it is weathered copper)
on the sink wall, I will install 3 undercabinet light sources (one under each of the 3 uppers - type TBD)
island - 2-3 hanging pendant depending on fixture and bulb specs
Peninsula room divider - under the 2 center uppers, some type of puck lighting for counter light. Considered placing under outer 2 taller uppers on outside, but I cannot get wiring to the one that is not against the wall without exposing it down the inside of the cabinet (glass doors on 3 sides)

Here's where I get lost:

supplemental task lighting/general room light
I think I should have 4-5" recessed cans over the sink wall counter edge to balance out the task lighting. Placing one near the cabinets on either side of the cooktop seems appropriate, but over the dishwasher in the corner, it seems close to the side wall and also insufficient to light the tall pantry opposite it. I'd assume that I'd want additional cans in front of the refrigerator/oven wall too.
Additionally, some lighting over the kitchen side of the peninsula wall counter edge to light the counter and walkway?
Not sure whether to light both long edges of the island with cans to overflow into the walkway and cover where the pendants do not reach

Floorplan

Perspectives

(click image for larger version)

If there is anything I forgot to post, please feel free to ask...

-Tim

Comment (1)