SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jerseygirl_1_gw

Reupholstering a Kidney Shaped Sofa-Looking for ideas

jerseygirl_1
13 years ago

We want to finish decorating our LR and DR in the next couple of months. I want to address the sofa only on this thread. We finally found fabric to update our living room sofa. We decided to keep it since it is so well contructed. It's 9 yrs old and from Calico Corner.

It's hard to describe the fabric so I hope this description will give you the idea. No pattern, very light beige color with subtle sheen (almost iridescent sp?)which evokes a rainbow effect of blues, teal, grays, and browns. It really struck us because our style is glam/eclectic/1950's Sinatra/transitional. Our DR is opposite and LR and separated by a path to the FR. This is a TH. The cushions on the DR have teal and brown modern swirly fabric. So the we found fabric was perfect. I want to bring grays and differnt blues into the room. I'm a blue girl.

I've searched Google images and found a couple of pictures to get some ideas for the upholsterer we hire.

Here is the sofa as it is today. If you need to picutre the LR to help, the rug and end table are staying. The lamp is moving upstairs. The sofa will be pushed up to touch the rug.

We will be elimiating the skirt, the gathering at the arms, and fringe on pillows.

I kind of want to pull this apart starting with the arms. As I mentioned,the gathering will be taken out. Wilting or no wilting around the back and arms? Here is the best picture I could find on Google of a more contemporary kidney shaped sofa.

1. Should we have the bottom cushion wilted?

2. Do I look for a batik neutral fabric for the back cushions or keep everything the same. Just saw an episode on Candace Olson where she used batik fabric for back cushions of a neutral sofa. Looked great.

What do you think?

Comments (6)