SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
doucanoe

sub for plain yogurt?

doucanoe
11 years ago

I was hoping to make a batch of Naan today to take to a friend's later this evening for appys. Wanted to do it this morning since the weather has finally cooled and before it gets hot again.

Problem: I only have vanilla yogurt, recipe calls for plain. Is there anything I could sub for the plain yogurt? Maybe buttermilk?

I am not all that well versed about the scientific part of baking so not sure what the purpose of the yogurt is.

Here is the recipe I use. As you can see it's not a lot of yogurt, but I am sure it's there for a reason! LOL

Naan

2 tsp dried yeast

1 c milk

4 c AP flour

1-1/2 tsp salt

1 tsp sugar

3 T plain yogurt

2T ghee or unsalted butter -- I use butter

Sprinkle the yeast into 1/2 c of the milk in a bowl. Let stand for 5 minutes: stir to dissolve. Mix the flour and salt in a large bowl, make a well in the center and add the dissolved yeast, sugar, yogurt and butter.

Mix, stirring in the remaining milk as needed to form a soft, sticky dough. -- as written my dough was quite stiff, I added about 1/4 c more milk than called for

Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes.

Put the dough in a clean bowl and cover with a clean dish towel. Let rise until double in size, 3-4 hours. Punch down and let rest 10 minutes. -- I oiled the bowl and turned the dough to coat. Highly recommend doing so

Divide the dough into four equal pieces. On a lightly floured surface, roll out each piece to form a round 6 inches across and 1/4 inch thick. Pull one side to form a tear shape, stretch the dough until it is about 10 inches in length.

Preheat the broiler on it's highest setting. Preheat a baking sheet under the broiler for about 2 minutes. Place two pieces of the dough on the hot baking sheet. Broil for about 2-3 minutes per side, until puffy and golden. --watch carefully, once it starts browning it goes very fast!

Repeat with the remaining two pieces of dough.

Linda

Comments (5)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!