SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mollyred_gw

Why don't they make more adaptable downdraft hoods?

mollyred
16 years ago

I ran into problems with the downdraft hood for my cooktop during my remodel. If you have a cooktop, imho there is no more convenient, more perfect place to keep pots, pans and utensils than directly under the cooktop, where they will be used. If you have to have a downdraft hood, though, and I did (city rules/resale considerations), it will eat up so much room in a standard 24" cabinet under the cooktop that you might as well give up on keeping much there. An overhead hood was not doable in my circumstances.

So I thought maybe I could put a downdraft in another cabinet directly behind the cooktop cabinet, and turned my OCD online for a downdraft that would fit in this configuration. No luck. Asked my sales guy at EXPO. No luck. If anyone makes a reversible downdraft, we were never able to find it. Then I thought, I'll get a deeper cabinet, make the one behind it shallower, mount it on the back of the deeper cabinet, and get standard storage in front of it. Leon Scherr was the only person who didn't argue with this solution, or "forget" that it was in the plan.

I explained my plan beforehand to each of the tradesmen, and as a further reminder, I left one of the drawers in the desired location in the cooktop cabinet, so they would know where to put things - out of the way at the back. Each one removed the drawer and then proceeded to put things where they were accustomed to do, blocking the drawers. Each had to replace his mistake, twice! The stone slab guys were a little dubious, but agreed and made their part of it work. We recessed the cooktop about 3" from the edge, put the hole for the downdraft at the back of the cabinet, and left a 2 1/2" gap between the cutouts to be patched in later.

Then the downdraft itself broke, the manufacturer took inordinately long to fix it, calls had to be made to EXPO to intervene, and the downdraft finally got fixed and went in. During this process the EXPO guy explained to me that by not mounting the downdraft to butt up directly against the cooktop, my warranty would be void.

I went ahead and did it my way anyway, figuring that once the granite went on I was past my own personal point of no return. Mind you, I put a 1000 cfm remote blower into this system, the hood does not rise as high as the top of my big sauce pot, and the overall distance between the hood and the burners is only 2 1/2" more than it would otherwise be. Even at the lowest speed, the hood snuffs out the flames on my rear burners if they are set at a low setting, and if I had put in one of the pro-style, slide-in cooktops the span from the hood to the burners would be as great or greater than I currently have.

Most importantly to me, I've used the hood about 3 times in 4 months, but use the storage under the cooktop several times each day.

Can anyone explain why they make downdraft hoods so user-unfriendly?

Comments (14)