SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mgh_pa

Why don’t more people use architects?

mgh_pa
6 years ago

To build upon on our previous discussions, and as my wife and I research home ideas, interview/designers, and look at newer construction homes in our area, I just can’t help but shake why it seems most people don’t utilize an architect? Literally none of the new homes in our area are aesthetically pleasing, nor what my wife and I would ever build, but yet, people here love them. I, too, didn‘t notice this as much until visiting this site and researching home layouts.

I had always assumed it was a cost issue (which it may be), but I also feel that it could simply be a complacency issue. It’s what builders are used to building, it’s what everyone sees being built, therefore, it’s when it’s time to build said house, that’s the style they go with.

Even on here, most of the builds and/or questions seem to stem around plans found online vs having an architect design from the ground up.

Why is this?

I know not all architects are created equal, nor are all designers/draftsman created equal. Likewise, there are probably some decent stock plans out there, along with horrendous stock plans.

I really fear that the more I research this, the more my concerns are raised. If/when we design our home, based on the fact that it will look unlike any other home in the area, I worry that we’re going to find out the real reason most don’t go the route we do...and that’s a cost vs.capability of the contractor issue.

Just some random thoughts. Would love to hear what everyone here has to say (including those who I’m referring to in this post).

Comments (165)